Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

I wouldn't worry about the armchair critics Randy, thank's to you I have working sound at £15 per loco which is far superior to any DCC soundchip I have ever heard.

I would like some Bluetooth speakers with even longer range for my garden railway  & I am watching developments in wireless Bluetooth control too.

Do you have any further developments in mind?

Thanks for your support Phill....

There is a new Bluetooth standard being introduced soon with a range of a couple of hundred metres or even further.

https://www.bluetooth.com/news/pressreleases/2016/06/16/-bluetooth5-quadruples-rangedoubles-speedincreases-data-broadcasting-capacity-by-800

With regards to further developments, I've just installed a bluetooth module / speaker / battery into my....

whisper whisper....4mm Heljan Class 47....

regards

Randall

• Like 2

Not sure about those trees now I look at the pics?  :scratchhead:

The only good thing in that pic is the 33. :jester:

Seriously I think it looks great, may be a few shrubs on the bank or a different type of tree mixed with the ones you have done. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

The Trees look okay to me - the Treemendous ones are pretty good.

Is the 33 a remodelled Lima - as Jordan implied?? Or is it the Heljan product (looks like it to me).

All very atmospheric!

ATVB

CME

From what I have seen 7mm ready made trees are very expensive  :O these are made from dead heads of plants from the garden :)

No, it's most definitely a Heljan 33......bargain from the Doncaster GOG show ;)

The only good thing in that pic is the 33. :jester:

Seriously I think it looks great, may be a few shrubs on the bank or a different type of tree mixed with the ones you have done. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the comments, I think the trees do require a little more work & re-arranging  perhaps?

I like your idea Peter of some different species, I will have to see what else I can make?

• Like 1

Could anyone point me to some threads or web pages/vids on tree making ? :)

Hello Phill,

Chaz is making some nice ones for his Furness Valley layout. He's posting some good tutorials in his thread. I think the first post is on this page;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79942-the-furness-valley-railroad/page-17

HTH

Keith

Hello Phill,

Chaz is making some nice ones for his Furness Valley layout. He's posting some good tutorials in his thread. I think the first post is on this page;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79942-the-furness-valley-railroad/page-17

HTH

Keith

Thanks Keith, I will have a look ;)

Plain old "Like" is just getting far too inadequate as a button response to these pics. :rolleyes:

I was just joshing about the 'Lima'33, the windscreen pillars alone identify it as Heljan. :yes:

Edited by F-UnitMad

I had to click 'like' Phill, as I really do like that shot! Apart from your much more pleasant background, it remiinds me of many of my 80's pics of 33's standing at the buffers at Swansea High Street after being released from Portsmouth Harbour trains - I always seemed to get a pillar in the way too...!

Keith

• Like 1

I had to click 'like' Phill, as I really do like that shot! Apart from your much more pleasant background, it remiinds me of many of my 80's pics of 33's standing at the buffers at Swansea High Street after being released from Portsmouth Harbour trains - I always seemed to get a pillar in the way too...!

Keith

That's fine Keith, but your comments are always welcome too ..........good to know I'm not just talking to myself lol ;)

• 2 weeks later...

TREES 

I have made a few more shrubs & a tree using my usual 'Sedum' dead heads which have been left to dry out.

As you can see they are bunched together into tree shapes,  once happy with the arrangement of them I tape the bottoms of the stalks together with masking tape to form a trunk. A sharpened stick is inserted into the centre of the trunk & then the masking tape is given a liberal coating of PVA.

post-6992-0-47795000-1470993132_thumb.jpg

The PVA was left to dry overnight & then the heads were given a spray with firm hold hairspray & sprinkled with flock, the excess is shaken off & then the tree is sprayed again with hairspray. The trunks are then given a coat of brown acrylic to finish them off..

post-6992-0-64797500-1470993145_thumb.jpg

SHRUBS

These are made using similar methods but using sections of drinking straws for the trunks of young trees or with the straw completely submerged  in the scenery to from large shrubs.......

post-6992-0-27029500-1470993155_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-78642700-1470996128_thumb.jpg

I will now need to order some soft wire  to form other species of tree, can anyone advise as to which gauge of florists wire to buy for 7mm trees as it comes in 18, 20 or 22 gauge?

• Like 6

I will now need to order some soft wire  to form other species of tree, can anyone advise as to which gauge of florists wire to buy for 7mm trees as it comes in 18, 20 or 22 gauge?

Hi Phill,

I've just dug out my copy of vol.1 of Gordon Gravett's book on modelling trees. He often works in reverse to other people by starting with the twigs at the end of the branches, & for this he uses 30 gauge wire twisted together. However he does say the diameter of the wire he uses "depends on the fineness of the tree and can vary from 0.3 mm (30swg) for the fine work required to produce a winter tree to 1.2 mm (18swg) or even thicker for the more basic armatures of summer trees''

However, his first example in the book is an elm tree in full foliage, which he says ''only requires a fairly simple armature .... made from 2mm anodised aluminium wire intended for jewellry craft. This is quite soft to bend but does require pliers to obtain tight twists'' 

He also mentions using copper wire stripped from cabling & fuse wire. So it seems any wire might do depending on size & complexity of tree! I believe his trees are intended for 7mm scale?

HTH not hinders!

Keith

PS your Sedum trees & shrubs are very effective!

Edited by keefr2

Thanks Keith, some very useful pointers there :)

He also mentions using copper wire stripped from cabling & fuse wire. So it seems any wire might do depending on size & complexity of tree! I believe his trees are intended for 7mm scale?

I have loads of electrical cable kicking around, so I think I will use that as a starting point.