Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to pick up a Skytrex BR Brake Van at last year's Telford GOG. Show.I have added handrails & weathered it & it just needs transfers now....not a bad Brake Van for Withercombe for only £15 ...

attachicon.gif1-15936435_858779954263851_3825532183957948041_o.jpg

Very nice Phill, I always thought that the Skytrex LNER/BR brakevan looked okay, especially if purchased cheaply enough and then fettled as you have, ie handrails and maybe fretting out windows (if such is possible/roof comes off easily), I wouldnt bother with the ducket windows other than to paint the voids black and then over-paint with clear varnish or PVA type glazing liquid.

BTW did you bother to fit top-hat bearings in the 'W' Irons - its something that I have been pondering as our vehicles will actually cover some 'mileage'?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Generally or on this one CME? :)

Yep this one the LNER/BR Brake-Van :)  :) The Skytrex stuff is made like RTR 4mm in that there aren't any bearings for the pinpoint axles and as your layout is quite large your models have to work for a living so I was wondering if you had been able to fit TH bearings - it would be a phaff on my Skytrex 12T vans :derisive:  :derisive:

Yep this one the LNER/BR Brake-Van :)  :) The Skytrex stuff is made like RTR 4mm in that there aren't any bearings for the pinpoint axles and as your layout is quite large your models have to work for a living so I was wondering if you had been able to fit TH bearings - it would be a phaff on my Skytrex 12T vans :derisive:  :derisive:

I have a few S/H Skytrex stock now & they are running as built so far :)

• Like 1

We shall have to see how the journals wear then....I shall use a spot of Labelle oil

BTW how did you go about weathering the Brakevan? Your usual methods - it looks excellent.

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

I tried weathering the Skytrex colour originally but it wasn't working. So after a total repaint in Railmatch Bauxite I gave it a coat of Lifecolor weathered black which was wiped off with a make up sponge, I then gave it the fibre pen treatment once the dirty black had dried :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

Hi CME,

I tried weathering the Skytrex colour originally but it wasn't working. So after a total repaint in Railmatch Bauxite I gave it a coat of Lifecolor weathered black which was wiped off with a make up sponge, I then gave it the fibre pen treatment once the dirty black had dried :)

Nice work Phill a man after my own heart! Youve done a fine job.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I updated this Withercombe branch thread, but today I have made a start on a new section of line featuring some nice sweeping curves & a concrete viaduct. This will create much more visual interest to this section of the line. The existing straight line which can be seen in some of the pics will be lifted after the new section is operational....the original straight line has completed about 16 years service!

post-6992-0-76198200-1490980713_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-35699200-1490980721_thumb.jpg

I have added steel reinforcement to the pillars....

post-6992-0-22876100-1490980736_thumb.jpg

Here is a mock up of the proportions of the viaduct.......

post-6992-0-33366200-1490980759_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Phill...

Having always been in awe of your garden railway (paying especial homage to the images you've posted here over time, and the videos you've posted on Youtube), I must heap even more profuse quantities of admiration your way....These latest images project a lovely mature garden that would be the pride of anyone, regardless of the superb model railway you've superimposed upon it. Your garden and the layout it contains are the summit of inspiration.

Randall

Hi Phill...

Having always been in awe of your garden railway (paying especial homage to the images you've posted here over time, and the videos you've posted on Youtube), I must heap even more profuse quantities of admiration your way....These latest images project a lovely mature garden that would be the pride of anyone, regardless of the superb model railway you've superimposed upon it. Your garden and the layout it contains are the summit of inspiration.

Randall

Thanks Randy for those kind words.....much appreciated :)

The garden was a blank canvas 20 years ago, so I designed it very much with a integrated garden railway at the time....if I did it again I would do it with a mini JCB though as twenty years ago I did it with a pick, shovel & spade, but I don't think I could manage that again twenty years on lol  :O

Hi Phill,

Cracking work as always. Thats going to make an impressive and enjoyable feature (watching trains snake through the garden).

Can I ask a couple of questions...

Ive only just been able to get near the garden as its been so wet-so Ive performed some minor maintenance to the track bed. I seem to remember you saying that you had similar conditions and shift in the ground (clay?) which affected your original concrete track bed? How will you avoid such with your new viaduct?

Also with decent plastic impregnated (Phenolic) ply now no longer available, plys, inc. marine ply being costly and varying in quality, '25yr exterior MDF' also being pricey, what materials are you using for the trackbed either side of the viaduct?

Atvb

CME