Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Agree with Softvark's reply on the mystery parts. With regard to the telegraph poles, if you wired them up you could use them as intended when down the bottom of the garden to order a cuppa from the kitchen staff!

Mike,

:O  :mosking:  :mosking:  :secret:  have you ever heard the phrase SWMBO? If I set up those sort of comms., Id be made to live - not just play - in the garage!

ATVB

CME

Having been married for 40 years I know all about SWMBO

Bless you! 'Youd get less time for murder' [drum roll and crash of cymbols] and other similar jokes spring to mind Ha Ha! My father-in-law has been married for 50 years, the men in the family have petitioned the queen and parliament, because we all believe he deserves a medal (for being under combat conditions and facing danger for so long!).

Im still waiting for age of sexual equality-ie when men are seen as equal to woe-men! Lol! Back on topic now me thinks Ha Ha!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

The Lima/Triang 16T Mineral has been very useful for Withercombe &  besides detailing them as 16T'ers they have also been converted in to box vans in the past for the line . I had another 3 such wagons kicking around awaiting something doing with them & I really don't need anymore box vans or 16T minerals with around 25 of each in traffic at Withercombe, so I took inspiration from a friend on Facebook & decided to have a go at some Lowfits using the 16T mineral chassis as a base.

Using plasticard & plastruct from my scrap bins I scratch built some bodies from what I had available.....

post-6992-0-61647900-1499897431_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-16798600-1499897445_thumb.jpg

& with a bit of red oxide primer passing it's self off as Bauxite......

post-6992-0-17105300-1499897539_thumb.jpg

I also raided my transfer tin & with a mix of waterslide, pressfix & Methfix transfers I managed to cobble together enough transfers to make them look right'ish & bit of weathering for good measure I have three Lowfits buit from nothing really which should add a bit more variety to the freight stock on the branch :)

post-6992-0-41634500-1499897847_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-04146600-1499897883_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

That is a nice conversion job Phil. Well done.

A good example of thinking outside the square too.

cheers

Bob Comerford

Thank you Bob :)

When I can pick a couple more up I think I will make a couple of sand wagons next as I really enjoy this kind of creative modelling :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

Hi Peter :)

I that for your excellent 4mm layout or your new 7mm venture?

7mm Phill. I was given a couple of Lima and I think a big trains one last year. 

• Like 1

Hi Phill,

Nice work!

May I ask do you change the axle/wheel-sets? How do they run with solid chassis?

ATVB

CME

They run very well with suitable added weight compared to kit built wagons CME, I would say I prefer these chassis as they are very strong & durable which for me is more important than fine detail on a garden railway ;)

I  have a few running on the original wheels but the majority have steel wheels although TBH both run fine .

Too hot for me outdoors, so onwards & upwards with the Withercombe signal.

post-6992-0-04257500-1500231271_thumb.jpg

I have beefed up the ladder ready for the base ......

post-6992-0-92675800-1500231287_thumb.jpg

& I added the finials & lamps & brackets....

post-6992-0-00671100-1500231300_thumb.jpg

I now need to buy a piece of brass for a base as I don't have a big enough bit unfortunately, once it's on a base though it will not need much more doing apart from glazing & paint ....

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 5

Good work on the signal Phil. I assume this going in the indoors section. What method of operation are you thinking of using?

Hi Mike & thank you :)

I have not decided yet, but I am thinking about either manual pulleys & levers (like "wire in tube" point operation)  or perhaps a couple of point motors operating each individual  signal arm , I am open to other ideas though as I have no previous experience with signalling TBH  :scratchhead: 

I will also build some outdoor signals using brass square  tube for concrete posts & bullhead rail for rail built posts with arms etc from MSE or other suppliers....these will be manually operated though :)

• Like 1