RMweb

Star Trek London

RSLR

Hi,

Not at all railway related which is why I've posted here... Well apart from the train travel to get there.
I attended a Star Trek show at the Excel Exhibition Centre in London last weekend 3rd - 5th. In all honesty I don't have many (if any) friends that like to watch anything Sci-Fi related or wanted to go with me, so I went alone to London which was also my first time I've ever been and I stayed in Hotel in a place called Feltham for a couple of nights.

It was great fun, the tube and electric trains were awesome! London seems like a very busy place and there are buildings everywhere.
The venue for the event was huge, it took time to walk from one end to the other, the building even had two stations for DLR services.

At the event there were masses of Trekkies/Trekkers everywhere, most quite friendly and interesting people with many from abroad from Germany, America, Italy. Quite a few were from Scotland, Ireland and Wales... But I only met one from Cornwall.
Probably lost count with the amount of people dressed up as aliens but seen the following: Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Vulcans, Andorians, Bajorans, Ferengi, Orion Slave Girls etc.

On saturday morning they tried to better the world record attempt for the largest gathering of people dressed as Star Trek characters, although were 400 and something out this time so not really anywhere near.

I attended most of the 'free' talks with the actors, and I had my picture taken with William Shatner :) Quite an expensive few days out but well worth it, felt quite normal wandering around in my gear. I also purchased a Tribble.

Just thought I might share my recent experiences.

1453224_731331296915742_7652386089602088

To find that out you need to watch Star Trek Enterprise ;)

I'll have to take your word for that. I gave up on that series after a few episodes, finding Scott Bakula completely unbelievable as a commanding officer. Porthos the beagle acted him off the screen!

i thought that was a prequel to Classic?

Indeed it was, based before TOS. I thought it was quite good and I enjoyed watching it, bit of a shame it was short lived with only 4 seasons.

So it can't answer the question, posed by Odo in the Tribbles episode on DS9. Where are the Klingons? All around! But what happened to them?

Sorry Tim, I thought you were on about something else... Naturally when someone asks about what did happen to the Klingons, they refer to their forehead ridges :) in relation that TOS Klingons have none and later Klingons have them.

^ My mistake me getting too technical about Klingons!

• RMweb Gold

We stumbled across a Star Trek convention many years ago on our honeymoon in Florida. We had found a shop selling Star Trek and other SiFi goodies and bought a trivial pursuit game on STNG which was shipped for us. Whilst there, the shop owner mentioned that there was a convention the following day in a hotel on International Drive, so we went along. This was our last day and spent all our cash, so used a credit card to pay, via one of the traders. A very enjoyable day and attended the talks. One with one of the effects producers, who told us a few amusing tales and another with Rene Auberjonois (Odo from Deep Space Nine).

A great way to spend the last day of our honeymoon!

• 2 months later...

I thought it was great, sometime I must make a Facebook album with all the pictures I taken.
It was interesting to go dressed up and feel completely normal.

I'm easily seen in the below picture which was taken by one of the 'Trekkie Girls' I think standing somewhere at the back - This was taken during the world record attempt for the largest gathering of people dressed as Star Trek characters. Didn't get it this year as it was around 400 and something out but still good to know I contributed. However London still holds the world record from 2012.

Robert Picardo aka The Doctor from Star Trek Voyager is up on stage giving a speech.

10712804_732639846784887_552747101960003

Archived