Some stunning model photography

martin_wynne

In fairness, I do think most of those cars would have been kept quite shiny - stunning pics, whatever our opinion on the weathering, he captures the 50s looks very well!

Indeed - I think that modellers often over-do the weathering... not everything was grimy in the past, and to a certain extent merely reflected the prevailing weather. I think we like heavy weathering as it adds a certain attitude of 'power' to a locomotive...

• RMweb Premium

With regards weathering, I was thinking more of the buildings than the cars, as I agree that they represent the 'lovingly looked after' look. I've seen the other link that Martin just gave above before, and that is some very good, very realistic looking modelling.

I seem to recall in the 50's, Dad cut the lawn and washed and polished the car whilst Mum cooked Sunday dinner, it was a 'must do' chore on Sundays.

Cars were something to be a proud owner of in those days, and if you didn't own it (e.g. a rep's car) part of your employment agreement was to keep the car nice and clean.

Great sites Martin, thanks for bringing them to our attention (BTW - there was a line under most kerbs in the first set you pointed us to).

Penlan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived