Instead of doing important fiddly things like the motion and valve gear, im moving onto the bodywork.

the chassis has the front running board, lead strip layering in the tank and boiler before cladding. the smokebox and firebox being built up with nuts and bolts to hold the ends in line which will then be removed after

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember what i was looking for now but about 2 weeks ago came across an album of photos, mostly for the construction of the Worcester & Hereford

https://herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/herefordshire-images/herefordshire-railways/the-building-of-the-hereford-and-worcester-railway?

They are also very good quality photos, if you click on a photo to go to its individual page, then click on it agaain, it opens a zoomable window.

my current 2 favourites are; this one with contractors loco "Gipsy Lass" at Great Malvern, built by Haydock Foundry (same as Bellephoron) in 1840 and seen here working for Brassey on the W&H in 1861 https://herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/herefordshire-images/herefordshire-railways/the-building-of-the-hereford-and-worcester-railway/438370-driver-hellfire-jack-steam-engine-great-malvern-station?

And this one of with many nice looking West Midland wagons

https://herefordshirehistory.org.uk/archive/herefordshire-images/herefordshire-railways/the-building-of-the-hereford-and-worcester-railway/438499-loan28-early-railway-engine-unknown-locationjpg?

Gipsy Lass and these wagons have now gone on my extesnive "to model" list, the very left hand wagon above with the X framing and full of what look like cut down young trees ( the first wagon to the right of the loco is the same too) is of particular interest to me and i want to start on 1 soon

1002739958_wagonwestmidland(1).png.cd92b6ea300abfdf833ca6019dc3f129.png

if you may reacll i have 2 of old Ian Kirk G&SW wagons but i now only want 1 and was going to sell the other. A few days ago i had the idea of instead rebuilding it into a different G&SW wagon on the same chassis so ive now got a drawing for a 6 ton van from our library but this chassis will have to be lengthened to fit

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

ive started on the G&SWR van but just from the drawing i can't work out whether the planking is flush with the corner posts or not which is made a little more puzzling that the horzontal plank lines go all the way to the corners and there are other lines i can't work out what they are such as the vertical lines just either side of the door latch, and the horizontal rectangle just above the door.

1743357595_MRC1974-217GSW6tonvan.png.d837d11aaeb148e72ff32dedbbc0e248.png

Anything about G&SWR wagons is proving very elusive, very few online photos and nothing in our club library, there are 2 survivng vans but neither are this type; one at Bo'ness and the other at the North Dorset rly

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, sir douglas said:

ive started on the G&SWR van but just from the drawing i can't work out whether the planking is flush with the corner posts or not which is made a little more puzzling that the horizontal plank lines go all the way to the corners and there are other lines i can't work out what they are such as the vertical lines just either side of the door latch, and the horizontal rectangle just above the door.

1511240284_wagonGSWvan6ton.png.92c589710b0145e433b9b6374e32308c.png

Anything about G&SWR wagons is proving very elusive, very few online photos and nothing in our club library, there are 2 survivng vans but neither are this type; one at Bo'ness and the other at the North Dorset rly

Could they be metal reinforcing strips attached to the door framing? The door edges would get banged about in service.

As for the side planking, it does appear to go to the end of the car and the end planking butts up against the inside edge of the side planking. The corner post is up against the interior angle formed by the planking. There are vertical lines on the ends of both sets of planking that I suspect are reinforced attachment points to the corner post.

Until I saw your posted drawing, I never realized just how small those freight cars were.

• 2 weeks later...

now done

1281065243_W36WMR(7).JPG.04d53c1170229b47be9e5b76129b3034.JPG

I was going to start on the G&SW van next but an unexpected little gem has just been given to me, ive been admiring their work for many years at Guild shows and one came up recenly on ebay which my dad got but i wasnt expecting him to have got it for me. Its a Parly Trains London & Birmingham wagon which comes with a set of Parly's own special wheels

1089658605_w37parly(1).JPG.51efe786be7f4fa858040db95fdcdeed.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I almost bid on that. I've been thinking about buying a rake of these - they seem so reasonably priced. I've bought a Brougham from Parliamentary Trains to go on the carriage truck I've cobbled together on an old brake van underframe but not had a chance to open the box yet. What were the problems you encountered? Looks like you've made a pretty decent job so far.

The wheelses that came with it didnt fit even though they are Parly's own "Brahmah" pattern. the distance over bushes was more than between the frames, i talked wih the guy at Parly on FB but he couldnt work out what was wrong either, anyway i fixed it by shortening the axle ends so the bushes are right up against the wheels but still had to move the frames apart a tiny bit and i had to discard the orignal framing. this sint a jab at the kit design, i pressume it is something to do with the wheelsets not being the correct type for this wagon

1809974125_w37parly(2).JPG.1babca13d278ca1ca4f1a1bf78b0910b.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ah - I see - thanks. 2.5 mm's quite a bit. Even with the axles shortened it looks like the outside face of the tyre nearly clouts the back of the solebar. A bit of a pain but fairly easy to solve though. Please keep up the excellent work. Really enjoy this thread.

its all painted now and safey chains fitted with some nice little hooks on the ends. There is just the couplings to fit (hooks and chain provided on the righ), the etch sheet still has many bits on it for different types of hooks and chain, 2 of the hooks are just right to go on he side tipper couplings

209302839_w37parly(6).JPG.ac2c780dc99a129eca1f433f8b8df4a0.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 9

The L&B wagon was finished a few days ago, the wheels arent painted, its just the colour of the plastic but i quite like the look of it. The coupling links wouldnt open up so i used "U" links form a set of screw links. for a size comparison, this is the same chap i always use on this diorama and he's about 6'3", this wagon only comes up to his chest, looking at him now in this photo, he looks a bit like Anthony Dawson which is also quite appropriate for the era of the wagon

704529190_w37parly(7).JPG.1ef639199f4c4b8dae31bcf9f7738e26.JPG

Moving onto the G&SW van

1161436836_W05van(1).JPG.54978e79bae90bee8f8eb360ce6d8e76.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

my model van is being made frommy own drawing which is a composite of the 1974 MRC shown  on the previous page and a works photo that someone at the G&SWR association very kindly sent me a scan after contacting them about my questions about that drawing

my drawing not quite finished yet

(edited 19-5-2022, dont have this photo anymore)

while waiting for paint to dry i'm going back to the overtype to figure out exactly whats wrong, many months ago i first thought it was the wheel rubbing in the arches but now its dismantled its turns out to be a mis aligned axle bush. While at in biits i can finally fit the coupling hooks and the plunger picks werent working out properly on this loco so they've been removed and i'll do phospher strip or piano wire

1516142958_L11overtype(62).JPG.34c379fea238ee56cccd0b73cc63181c.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1