Are you going to share the secret of your template? 

I once considered getting the acid wagon from Powside but wasn't confident that I could change the location to Castleford successfully.

The Locke wagon is spot on. I believe the cross is described as the cross of Lorraine.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

ive explained the process of the lettering before but i cant remember how far back,

1-draw the wagon side on paper with pen

2- draw the lettering on that in pencil, this may take several attempts to get right which is why step 1 is in pen so you dont also have to keep re drawing that

3- cut out lettering* and you now have a stencil

4- sit the stencil onto the wagon side and secure with tape at the ends

5- run a pencil around inside the letters onto the wagon side

6- remove stencil

7- paint letters following the pencil lines

*there may also be other things to cut out like a hole to go around anything that sticks out stopping the stencil laying flat or cut the whole stencil into 2 or more bits to fit between frame work such as the Lyons shown below

this is a good place to show that i recently put all my stencils onto black paper so i can display them in my photo/drawing folder, they were before kept in a little plastic packet

632978890_2022-8-6stencils.JPG.8c40e37dc379badf54c7cde2e19ecf4b.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1

i forgot to mention what it is, it is a tank as you say and for Muriatic acid which is a thinned down hydrochloric still used today as a strong cleaner, the wagon built in 1907 for Hunt brothers of Castleford and registered to the NER.

The drawing also gives notes for the layers to insulate the inside of the tank

"Inside lining of 3/4" T&G* boards paraffin waxed"

"Second lining 1" layer of pitch and sand"

"Third c??ing** 3"T&G boards insulated from wagon body by  1/4" thick tarred felt"

*T&G most likely means tongue & groove

** i cant quite make out what this word is which looks like cabing or casing, it definitely isnt lining

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 26/08/2022 at 18:06, sir douglas said:

i forgot to mention what it is, it is a tank as you say and for Muriatic acid which is a thinned down hydrochloric still used today as a strong cleaner, the wagon built in 1907 for Hunt brothers of Castleford and registered to the NER.

"Third c??ing** 3"T&G boards insulated from wagon body by  1/4" thick tarred felt"

** i cant quite make out what this word is which looks like cabing or casing, it definitely isnt lining

I'm not sure where I read it but I believe the acid itself was in large glass containers protected by the wooden outer structure. The Powside catalogue has a similar wagon from Hunt's Oldbury works. This is # 0122.

Edited by doilum
Additional information
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hesperus: though i cant make out what it says, it is definitely 6 letters

Doilum: the drawing has full interior showing the layers of planking, no glass, there were other acid tanks for other owners which were open top with 6 big glass jars sat in straw packing, which i also have a drawing for in one of the Hudson books

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

Hesperus: though i cant make out what it says, it is definitely 6 letters

Doilum: the drawing has full interior showing the layers of planking, no glass, there were other acid tanks for other owners which were open top with 6 big glass jars sat in straw packing, which i also have a drawing for in one of the Hudson books

Thanks. that's where I saw it.

• Like 1

doing the white box was a nuisance, i have now found that my Tamiya flat white is no good at evenly covering a large area, so i had to go over with a light grey as a base before re doing the white

889991837_w40(4).JPG.7625e74daa69dcf8c6eff798a7e20bb3.JPG

It looks nice now but now ive got to shade all of that and do the crimson lettering in the white box

1567707227_w40(5).JPG.f5e5919e5878818cdfed00d77f75adf9.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2022 at 18:06, sir douglas said:

If terminology then is the same as now for insulation it's likely to be **cladding with the l & I not picked up by the scan. For 6 letters I can only think of **coving.

Nice looking wagon you've made. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

didnt know about this vdeo of donny until ive just seen my dad watching it, i'm in there 3:12, Rob Pullham waving at 2:39 and Mark (shez) passes by at 3:10

what is most apparent though are the empty isles nearly all day, it must have been one of their lowest attended shows after the time Kettering got snowed on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir douglas said:

what is most apparent though are the empty isles nearly all day, it must have been one of their lowest attended shows after the time Kettering got snowed on

Maybe it was just a quiet patch - there was a post on the Guild forum a few days ago as part of a discussion about visitor numbers across their various shows, and they reckoned that numbers for the Doncaster show were broadly equivalent to pre-Covid numbers. Same for Kettering, although it seems Guildex was a bit down from before - various factors at play there.

I cannot remember the exact number but it was in the region of 850. I was doing the meet and greet at the door and didn't get a chance to look round until well after lunch time. This was always primarily a trade show with a few layouts and the best judges of it's real success are the traders who will count their takings both on the day and in follow up sales.

The hobby is changing especially in the way that we buy O gauge products and it might be time to reconsider how it is presented and promoted.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, sir douglas said:

on a whim i got all the brake vans out to make to imagine a RCTS or SLS railtour on the layout but found something surprising i hadnt noticed before as theyve never all been together before, the LNWR is smaller than the others except of course the tiny NB (but not by much), i had always assumed that the LNW would be the largest but i'm sat here now staring at it and it looks weird that it isnt. its about the same height as the Rother Valley but a bit shorter

left to right; early NE, LNW (CRC), ficticous, Rother and NB

1031030338_2022-10-6brakes(3).JPG.3a1ca99366711510f3fd207869d8bc40.JPG

99254138_2022-10-6brakes(2).JPG.b3cd20d3af5efbbb71e12122ddedba8b.JPG

244220674_2022-10-6brakes(1).JPG.ec4d9f2a45d76aa6a1509b81cb34effa.JPG

I like Brake Van railtours, I've been trying to build one in O for about twenty years! Yours look glorious btw!

• Like 1

On 06/10/2022 at 16:52, sir douglas said:

on a whim i got all the brake vans out to make to imagine a RCTS or SLS railtour on the layout but found something surprising i hadnt noticed before as theyve never all been together before, the LNWR is smaller than the others except of course the tiny NB (but not by much), i had always assumed that the LNW would be the largest but i'm sat here now staring at it and it looks weird that it isnt. its about the same height as the Rother Valley but a bit shorter

left to right; early NE, LNW (CRC), ficticous, Rother and NB

1031030338_2022-10-6brakes(3).JPG.3a1ca99366711510f3fd207869d8bc40.JPG

99254138_2022-10-6brakes(2).JPG.b3cd20d3af5efbbb71e12122ddedba8b.JPG

244220674_2022-10-6brakes(1).JPG.ec4d9f2a45d76aa6a1509b81cb34effa.JPG

Are you competing with Mr. 5050 to see who can build the most and varied brake vans? 😄

• Like 1