RMweb

Spalding Exhibition 15/16th Nov 2014

Thomas Wright

• RMweb Premium

Went yesterday and had a smashing day out. The "small" hall had more quality stuff in it by itself than many a much bigger show that I have been to.

I took a camera along with a view to posting some photos but it has died on me so you will have to go along to see for yourself!

It is quite tricky to single out highlights in such a good show but I really enjoyed the sheer quality of Whiteoak. It has a rare quality in O gauge of having totally convincing colours, textures and overall realism. It was also lovely to see Borchester again. Last time I saw it, I passed a comment that some of the locos were not really appropriate to the layout but this time, everything looked just right, with an A5, O4, K3 and others that looked quite at home.

I appreciate just what is involved in keeping an old layout going and I applaud the folk involved with exhibiting Borchester, for allowing us to see this historic layout from time to time.

Even if some parts of the scenery are a bit "tired" and if things go wrong from time to time, it is well worth a close look. Apart from anything else, it is a most superb design for getting a really interesting railway into a small space, which I and many others could probably learn from.

Well done to everybody involved with the show. It seemed quite busy yesterday and I wish them the same for today.

Tony 

I also went along for the afternoon yesterday and had a chat with "t-b-g" and many others including the guys operating "Borchester.

I first saw it at Central Hall ,Westminster over Easter in 1976 and the backscene is still the original,so no wonder it's tired.I was always a bit intimidated by Frank,but I understand as of yesterday that his Exhibition manner and Social manner were quite different.His wife was a lovely lady and often encouraged me to join the operating team,but frankly Frank reminded me of my first school football team teacher who used to encourage me to run down the right wing as fast as my little legs would carry me by shouting like someone possessed used to enjoy the second half more as he was the width of the pitch away.

There were some excellent layouts on show and I enjoyed it very much. Edward continues to get a good selection of quality layouts at this show and my only negative comment would be the lighting in some areas. My heart went out to a gent trying to couple up on "Aisthorpe" in near darkness and jungle like heat.

Regards, Derek.

I went on Saturday. I've been stuck in the house for a fortnight with back issues, so, although Spalding is a lot further than I would normally go, the walls were pressing in!

I was struck by the excellent quality of the exhibits but also by how poor the venue is. Virtually no natural light and very little artificial excepting that provided by the club which was in the form of spotlights at eye level mounted on frames. The exhibitors naturally pointed these away from their own eyeline but that, to my regret, pointed them into the spectators. I got a ferocious headache as a result which was a great pity as it drove me away, back to the car for two paracetomol and made videoing quite impossible. I took a wander around the shopping centre while the brain settled down, by which time it was getting a little foggy so I thought I ought to go home.

In other aspects the venue was alright I suppose, the loos, though basic, were clean and the catering seemed to be OK although I took my own nosh.

Regards

Enjoyed Spalding, am slowly uploading the picture of the exhibits I took on my home thread Arboretum Valley...so they are easy to find for my reference. Several of the people I spoke to do not have a web presence, which is a shame because there was some marvellous stuff to see. I have some sneak preview for work that will end up on Lincoln Central....although I will check with the owner of the thread if he wants it uploaded on his thread yet. 

Thurston crew are now back from an excellent weekend at this cracking show and it's stored away in it's shipping container near Ely. The layout mostly behaved itself (one signal failed) and we got a couple of very interesting potential invitations.

It was a delight to find we were situated in Hall 1 next to some of my mates from Manchester Club (operating New Hey) - made organising a trip to the excellent Prior's Oven micro-pub on Saturday night so much easier!  :scratchhead:

The standard, variety and abundance of superb layouts (and pretty good trade support) made the show one of the very best we've been to for a long time.  Well done Spalding MRC!  It seems your shows have come on a long way from the early 80's when I was a junior member of Spalding Club!  Visitor attendance looked high as it was very busy all weekend. 

With so much "competition" for the title we were particularly humbled to learn on Sunday afternoon that Thurston came runner up in the best layout competition - so thanks to all who voted for us and we're glad that we managed to please so many - there is life in the old dog yet!

Melton Mowbray (quite rightly in our opinions) was the winner, BTW.

Anyway, thanks again to all who made it happen and hopefully we can return to a future Spalding show in 2-3 years time when Wickham Market is ready.

I can only second what Andy has said with regards to the whole weekend. Congrats to Spalding MRC for a great weekend, also well done to and congrats to the operators and owners of Melton Mowbray there were lots of cracking layouts to choose from and no one needs to be feel cheated by the result as the visitors would have had a hard decision to make.

As for creek,grone and rattleswick. It's all packed away until next time and until our next invite. It was a great time had by the three of us but bloody hard work considering it was our first weekend show but the thanks must also go go to all the other exhibitors who took the the time to come and say hello.

I can only second what Andy has said with regards to the whole weekend. Congrats to Spalding MRC for a great weekend, also well done to and congrats to the operators and owners of Melton Mowbray there were lots of cracking layouts to choose from and no one needs to be feel cheated by the result as the visitors would have had a hard decision to make.

As for creek,grone and rattleswick. It's all packed away until next time and until our next invite. It was a great time had by the three of us but bloody hard work considering it was our first weekend show but the thanks must also go go to all the other exhibitors who took the the time to come and say hello.

I wa impressed with both....enjoyed my chat with you and your follow operators :jester:

including some really good modelling hints  :sungum:

...and this link will take you to my pictures of your layout.......on our thread.....as you said there is no home for it here.

feel free to grab one of the pics for your avatar if you fancy doing so......

Thurston crew are now back from an excellent weekend at this cracking show and it's stored away in it's shipping container near Ely. The layout mostly behaved itself (one signal failed) and we got a couple of very interesting potential invitations.

It was a delight to find we were situated in Hall 1 next to some of my mates from Manchester Club (operating New Hey) - made organising a trip to the excellent Prior's Oven micro-pub on Saturday night so much easier!  :scratchhead:

The standard, variety and abundance of superb layouts (and pretty good trade support) made the show one of the very best we've been to for a long time.  Well done Spalding MRC!  It seems your shows have come on a long way from the early 80's when I was a junior member of Spalding Club!  Visitor attendance looked high as it was very busy all weekend. 

With so much "competition" for the title we were particularly humbled to learn on Sunday afternoon that Thurston came runner up in the best layout competition - so thanks to all who voted for us and we're glad that we managed to please so many - there is life in the old dog yet!

Melton Mowbray (quite rightly in our opinions) was the winner, BTW.

Anyway, thanks again to all who made it happen and hopefully we can return to a future Spalding show in 2-3 years time when Wickham Market is ready.

this also links to your layout......a well deserved place at Spalding......ingenuity included......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-spalding-show-2014-pictures/page-319&do=findComment&comment=1664548

edit....should you decide to open a thread for this lovely layout...i would happily post the pictures on it.

Keep up the good work it is a show I never miss. IMHO head and shoulders above the nearby highly advertised show the previous month. I'm personally not too worried by the lighting mentioned in one of the posts I go to see the exhibits not to film them. Once again excellent show.

Terry

The Exhibition  Manager, young Edward always gets some great layouts to Spalding which along with enthusiastic support from the members makes for a great show,one I rarely miss, about twice in the last 20 years.

However I must agree with "PenrithBeacon" about the lighting it is P***  Very Poor and as such is the only criticism I would make of the Exhibition.

Regards,Derek.

Hello

Just to say thank-you to Edward and all at the Spalding club for putting on another excellent show and also for letting us take part. Georgemas Jct seemed to behave itself and John and I had a good weekend. Hopefully we will be back in a few years time. age and time permitting.

Cheers

George

Keep up the good work it is a show I never miss. IMHO head and shoulders above the nearby highly advertised show the previous month. I'm personally not too worried by the lighting mentioned in one of the posts I go to see the exhibits not to film them. Once again excellent show.

Terry

I too go to see the exhibits, filming them is very much a secondary activity. The problem was that the spot lights made seeing very difficult because it created a headache and filming impossible because I was shooting into the glare of the lighting.

Nothing wrong with the exhibits, demos and traders - all very good and I too thought that Melton Mowbray North was the best layout there. I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I spent money on a Bachmann J11 with one trader and bought some windows from Shawplan and had some excellent advice from a chap at Shawplan concerning the application of their products. Very good and well appreciated, but the hall is dire.

Regards

Archived