Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The frustration of modelling something with no stock available....

rob D2

It's probably demographics ,,, if you were a 15 year old train fan in 92, you'd be a 37 year old - potentially youngish dad, mortgaged to the hilt with a demanding relationship and work life ----

Give it a few more years and that period may be more popular

• RMweb Premium

Over the last few years I been building up some stock to suit the late '80s sectorisation period, specifically around 1988 which was probably the peak of my 'spotting years, before other interests took my away from railways in the early '90s.

I have managed to accumulate a fleet of around 6 or 7 locos during this time, mainly Railfreight liveried. What I've found is that you need to either buy stuff on release or take a chance that it will show up secondhand. There's not much new stuff that sits on shelves for any length of time, presumably this is to do with the size of production batches and the fact that manufacturers release locos in a much wider range if liveries than they used to do.

• RMweb Premium

If it isnt available, then surely the solution is to "model it"? Or wait for them to be re released or become available on the 2nd hand market. Whichever way, they'll need a bit of patience.

If you can't wait, then the other solution is to work out what's available and design a layout round that.

I do realise that it does sound a bit "man up", but I think it's your call.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I do realise that it does sound a bit "man up", but I think it's your call.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick!

I definately do 'man up' and paint/model what I need, its also getting hold of the base model that can be a hassle too. I think in the (groan) current economic climate, stocks of everything are kept low right through the chain. Gone are the days of batches running for years almost and a catalogue being just that, ie. 'pop down to you local model shop and buy something from our range featured here'. A catalogue these days is like a game, a mix between wish list and hide and seek. Models are made in such short runs the obvious places sell out fast, leaving you to scour the second hand market or obscure shops for the model you desire, others you won't see from one catalogue to the next and are illustrated to get preorders in.

The point being, in the good old days there were 'ranges' available withing each range, enabling you to (if you felt flush) go out and buy a complete train, or even stock a railway off the shelf (or at least buy the models to repaint/modify to your needs). Now I think we are in a situation where there are loco's available without anything to pull, coaches with no suitable loco and so on. yes the big picture will be complete one day but not for the forseeable. A prime example is 47474 from Bachmann and Farish. there are so few class 47's available in both scales from the supplier the 'go to' loco to repaint is 474, due to its detail variations, leaving 474 in short supply (I need 2 myself for repaints). using my 1992 example again, 474 was the only 47 in the N gauge range that ran in that livery at that time, others being converted/scrapped/repainted before. it is also the most modern 47 on the books, no EWS, RES, Virgin, Intercity, etc etc etc. so thats over 20 years with no representation of a member of the most numerous class on the rails!

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I also think we've been spoilt in recent years with a myriad of detail variations on diesel models. Grilles, headlights, liveries, noses etc and we've generally forgotten how to "model". Either that or we've become lazy.

I converted many disc fitted Jouef 40's with headcode boxes, split and full, also removing boiler tanks and painting 40106 green because at the time, that was all that was available.

Nowadays, I try and find a suitable donor with minimal work, but if it's not available, because it either hasn't been produced or the production run has gone and selling for silly money 2nd hand, then it's time to "man up". Or give up.

Cheers,

Mick

Like I said , that's not an issue, it's the quantity that puts me off....

Lower your expectations :D

Seriously though, I guess you have two options. You either get on and model what you want, which will take time to build up the stock for it, or you do something else that matches what is available.

I think you've got it right - due to demographics, the interest isn't quite there in sectorisation, yet, but should be in a couple of years.

As an aside, if you really want a challenge, try modelling the early 90's in 7mm scale!

• RMweb Premium

It's probably demographics ,,, if you were a 15 year old train fan in 92, you'd be a 37 year old - potentially youngish dad, mortgaged to the hilt with a demanding relationship and work life ----

Give it a few more years and that period may be more popular

Well I'm 38 and model steam... Mind you no kids, renting rather than pay ludicrous house prices, live on my own and don't see the point in burning myself out at work for a few more pennies.

Mind you no kids, renting rather than pay ludicrous house prices, live on my own and don't see the point in burning myself out at work for a few more pennies.

Amen brother!

(I'm married, but totally agree with the rest of your statement :) )

Apart from lowering ones expectations, knuckling down and undertaking the modelling oneself, or choosing a project with everything needed being available RTR, there is also contracting out the effort and paying someone to do some of the work for you or getting some mates to help out and make it a team project.

Or if you really want to undertake that special project and can't afford to pay someone to do some modelling for you, accept that it will take a little longer and divide it up in to manageable portions that you can target completion for each and get some satisfaction as each stage is finished. Finally I guess complaining about it on a forum is not going to get the modelling done and will only eat in to one of your limited resources - time. So perhaps it's time to crack on. But don't forget to keep us all updated on progress.

I think lowering my expectations is the way forward TBH, and bending stock to suit the location as some of it is suitable - ish.

At best it'll give a NSE Home Counties flavour, as it won't be as though you'll see a deltic towing EWS coal wagons....

At present I have a

56, metals , could be used for bin liner or stone

47 red stripe, the bachy one was actually allocated to RFd so could do mod stuff.

37/9 metals,tricky - there was a purfleet cardiff service about this time so u could bend this one.

DMU , closest is the 108, lent by Bletchley ??

I'm nt sure if it'll feature third rail, but that'll be another can of worms if I buikd it !

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the original list it would seem as though everything is available but may need some modification. We can't expect the manufacturers to produce every single loco in every single livery it has carried. So the simple answer is get the closest you can find and modify or model something else...

As someone who, like the pre Group poster, models something really obscure I just can't get my head round this need for people to want everything on a plate... One of the main points of model railways is to make something unique, and if that takes a bit of extra work other than using a cheque book surely that is the essence of modelling rather than just building a glorified train set?

To the OP, get the models you can, by whatever means, together with some detailing bits, transfers and paint and GO FOR IT!! If it takes some time then so be it , don't worry, that's also part of railway modelling!  :) :)

I think lowering my expectations is the way forward TBH, and bending stock to suit the location as some of it is suitable - ish.

At best it'll give a NSE Home Counties flavour, as it won't be as though you'll see a deltic towing EWS coal wagons....

At present I have a

56, metals , could be used for bin liner or stone

47 red stripe, the bachy one was actually allocated to RFd so could do mod stuff.

37/9 metals,tricky - there was a purfleet cardiff service about this time so u could bend this one.

DMU , closest is the 108, lent by Bletchley ??

I'm nt sure if it'll feature third rail, but that'll be another can of worms if I buikd it !

Any use...?

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/product/50849/32775Y_MR_Bachmann_Class_37_Diesel_Locomotive_number_37_068

Archived