Need help with a 00 gauge 8x2 layout

ShuntShed

Hi Everyone

I have a 8x2 piece of wood that I would like to make into a 00 gauge layout but i have no idea where to begin.

The layout will be will be made from two pieces of 4x2 MDF that fold over each other.  

I am open to any ideas that you may have in the design of the layout but it would be nice to have a station on the plan.

I would also like to stick to this plan of the fiddle yard location 

Thanks for reading Daniel 

post-19699-0-18126200-1414452967_thumb.jpg

What era and what trains would you like to run?  This makes a huge difference.  Eg you could have a neat 2 car DMU shuttle in the space with the DMUs shuttling between the fiddleyard station and carriage sidings in front of the fiddleyard.  Alternatively a steam era BLT would fit with a kick back to an industry in front of the fiddlyard.

What era and what trains would you like to run?  This makes a huge difference.  Eg you could have a neat 2 car DMU shuttle in the space with the DMUs shuttling between the fiddleyard station and carriage sidings in front of the fiddleyard.  Alternatively a steam era BLT would fit with a kick back to an industry in front of the fiddlyard.

Steam era branch line would be a good idea. Also the cut between the two pieces of MDF has to be removeable so no points or buildings crossing the cut line.

Start with what length of train you can run.  I would suggest that 2 coaches plus a van would be a good goal hauled by a tank engine.  If you use a three way point you can have a three road fiddleyard that will take three such trains.

Next is to see if you can fit in a run around loop for that length of train.  If it is angled and you use Peco short points then you can just about.

Fill in some basic BLT items such as a goods siding and a bay platform

Then finally squeeze in a kick back siding to give access to the view blocking industry

Voila: A shunting layout with station and half relief backscene

post-16793-0-18924900-1414497497_thumb.jpg

Start with what length of train you can run.  I would suggest that 2 coaches plus a van would be a good goal hauled by a tank engine.  If you use a three way point you can have a three road fiddleyard that will take three such trains.

Next is to see if you can fit in a run around loop for that length of train.  If it is angled and you use Peco short points then you can just about.

Fill in some basic BLT items such as a goods siding and a bay platform

Then finally squeeze in a kick back siding to give access to the view blocking industry

Voila: A shunting layout with station and half relief backscene

attachicon.gif8 by 2 v10.jpg

Thanks for the design however i only have set track at the moment and want to use it for my design

I think the fiddle yard is too short - this reduces your max train length.

If you like that type of plan then this may be better:

post-16793-0-54412800-1414506638_thumb.jpg

By introducing a curve on the station you ease all the angles, lengthen the roads and it gives a better appearance.

Have you considered presentation?  this design of layout is best operated and viewed from different positions, viz:

post-19851-0-15259400-1414507421.jpg

If you operate from the front you'll be leaning over your scenery hiding the FY to get to the FY itself.  It's not particularly ergonomically designed.

It is OK for an exhibition layout kept at home which can be operated "properly" at an exhibition, but I am sceptical if the back of the layout is against a wall and it has to be operated from the front.

Have you considered presentation?  this design of layout is best operated and viewed from different positions, viz:

attachicon.gifoperator position.jpg

If you operate from the front you'll be leaning over your scenery hiding the FY to get to the FY itself.  It's not particularly ergonomically designed.

It is OK for an exhibition layout kept at home which can be operated "properly" at an exhibition, but I am sceptical if the back of the layout is against a wall and it has to be operated from the front.

The layout will be used in the middle of the room not against the wall. This layout will also be for home use only so will be operated from the end where the fiddle yard is.   

If you can slide cassettes in and out then that would increase the variety of trains you can run and save a couple of points.

Yeah that would be an idea. I also have the wood now so i can start marking out where track goes.

• RMweb Premium

Is the 8ft length the maximum you have?

Are you agreeable to using cassettes?

Would you consider (if space permits) adding any further boards to the end?

I just wondered whether you could consider the cassettes as an extension of the length you have available which may give you scope for longer trains and more space for either the station and to add further scenery.

Is the 8ft length the maximum you have?

Are you agreeable to using cassettes?

Would you consider (if space permits) adding any further boards to the end?

I just wondered whether you could consider the cassettes as an extension of the length you have available which may give you scope for longer trains and more space for either the station and to add further scenery.

8 ft is the maximum length i will have for the layout due to the space i have available.

I'm about 50/50 on using cassettes at the moment.  

Cassettes allow you to shorten the fiddleyard so allows more space for the scenic element.  A longer station would look better and less cramped.  It would also help balance the layout better.  Previously the sidings were a bit too long compared to the station.

egpost-16793-0-69499300-1414574960_thumb.jpg

If you do go for a steam-age branch-line terminus, and want to use set-track points, may I suggest that you avoid using 0-6-0T locomotives?  My first layout was an 8' by 18" set track BLT to fiddle yard.  I used Hornby Terriers and M7s.  Part of the fun of operating a BLT to fiddle yard is, in my opinion, being able to shunt slowly.  Although the the Terriers have a lot to commend themselves, for slow movement over the set-track points the M7s (0-4-4T locomotives) did a lot better.

Have to say that having used set-track points once, I don't feel inclined to go back to them.  Electrofrogs are a lot nicer to use, and not that difficult to wire.  If you haven't got the track yet, you might want to consider the price difference between set track and Peco Streamline.  The Streamline points tend to be a couple of pounds dearer each, but the plain track works out cheaper.

Cassettes allow you to shorten the fiddleyard so allows more space for the scenic element.  A longer station would look better and less cramped.  It would also help balance the layout better.  Previously the sidings were a bit too long compared to the station.

egattachicon.gif8 by 2 v11.jpg

You could even squeeze in a short kick-back siding from the Industry line towards the yellow wall - this could be used to drop a guards van in while shunting or stable a loco.  Ie. coal train arrives in the lower loop, past the industry siding, sets back to drop off guards van, pulls forward, runs round, drops coal wagons into coal siding.  Pulls back to shunt the industry and goods yard sidings to make up goods train.  Pulls forward light engine, sets back to pick up guards van and pulls forward to loop, runs round guards van and then pushes it back to the lower loop headshunt.  Sets back to pick up goods train, pulls forward to loop, runs around then backs goods train onto guards van then departs.....a lot of movements but isn't that what its all about and i'm sure you could do that several ways.  You could save a few movements (and use of the kick-back siding) if you run round the coal train with the guards van still at the back, drop off the coal wagons then pull back with the van and deposit in the headshunt.  Autocouplings would be useful for all this play. However with the above cassette design you would need to keep part of a track available for running round....

Looks good to me but remember you will have to use part of the fiddle yard for running round. Also size your release headshunt to fit your longest envisaged loco to ensure it will clear the point blades.

You could curve the industry sidings towards the front to improve the appearance and even angle the low relief back scene to get away from everything being parallel to the board edges.....

Looks good to me but remember you will have to use part of the fiddle yard for running round. Also size your release headshunt to fit your longest envisaged loco to ensure it will clear the point blades.

You could curve the industry sidings towards the front to improve the appearance and even angle the low relief back scene to get away from everything being parallel to the board edges.....

My biggest loco the class 50 just about fits the runaround loop so it should be ok. 

Archived