Free Stuff or not ?

Graham Walters

I like BRM magazine, I tried a few others before I settled on having a subscription, which I set up on line, of course the bonus of having some goodies for nothing did nothing to persuade me :whistle:

Well my box and goodies arrived this morning, but... oh what disappointment  the scenery modelling book  by Peter Marriott and the DVD by Tony Hill were not there :cry:

Will these be arriving later, or do I have to stamp my feet and show off until I get them ? :ireful:

Regards

Graham !

• Administrators

I like BRM magazine, I tried a few others before I settled on having a subscription, which I set up on line, of course the bonus of having some goodies for nothing did nothing to persuade me :whistle:

Well my box and goodies arrived this morning, but... oh what disappointment  the scenery modelling book  by Peter Marriott and the DVD by Tony Hill were not there :cry:

Will these be arriving later, or do I have to stamp my feet and show off until I get them ? :ireful:

Regards

Graham !

Hi Graham,

PM your address and I'll check what's gone wrong. I know that we are due more stock of the DVDs tomorrow, so I can only assume the book and DVD will be sent together.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Still not had my missing free stuff, !

Funny how they remembered to take the first installment out of my account though :scratchhead:

A similar problem occurred, and is documented on this site, when the subscription gifts were an airbrush DVD and book.

I received my 'stuff' eventually, after numerous phone call reminders.

• Administrators

Still not had my missing free stuff, !

Funny how they remembered to take the first installment out of my account though :scratchhead:

Massive apologies Graham. The first batch of DVDs came into stock but, annoyingly, all were dispatched before our dispatch company read my email asking them to send yours ASAP! However, I have a DVD in front of me which I'll personally send. The book will also be sent today, but will be in a separate envelope.

Once again, apologies for the delay.

Steve

I don't think £4.25 is a bad price for the magazine in this day and age, especially as it includes a DVD.

The Railway Modeller is £3.95 so that means you are paying just 30p extra for the DVD.

Still, the choice is yours. Personally I think you are missing a very good magazine.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

I don't see the DVD and the Bachmann News as being part of the purchase, they are free.  Carrying on from there will the price revert back to £3.95 for the next issue ??.  It is an increase of 8% and 6% above the rate of inflation and especially bearing in mind salaries and pensions remain stagnant.  It's too expensive for my pocket.

Model Rail is still only £3.75 the best buy but for how much longer

Mike

I have a subscription and get the DVDs, but I think like many people nowadays, no DVD player! Is there a way that we can stream or download the DVD content?

If you have a PC or laptop less than 5 yrs old it should play the DVD, it's only a media file.

You can download media players for free if your PC doesn't have one

• Administrators

Most PCs allow you to watch the DVD.

You're right, the DVD and any additional supplements are 'extras' - so, please don't let these free gifts take away from the fact that the magazine itself is better than it has been for a very, very long time! Ben, Howard, Andy and Phil are doing an amazing job with BRM at the moment. And, the number of pages is on the up too so if the 'extras' aren't your thing, the magazine should be more than enough to keep you happy.

Personally I like the free stuff even if it costs 50p more it adds another dimension with the DVD. BRM is the only mag I subscribe to with Hornby magazine the other one I regularly buy mainly as they tend to offer something to build or is also Free signage etc... I also like the Train Formation articles that Hornby tend to do perhaps BRM could do something similar when reviewing new models to show the loco with a typical make up of the coaches / wagons that were pulled by said loco or if a review of a coach / wagon what loco would have been seen pulling it. Just a thought but overall more 'Free' stuff please.

• RMweb Premium

I am probably in the minority but I have a sub to BRM so get the 'free' stuff but I have no DVD player and no Computer. All of my forum activity takes place on a 'phone. The DVD to me is neither use nor ornament, although I would like to see its content!

I am probably in the minority but I have a sub to BRM so get the 'free' stuff but I have no DVD player and no Computer. All of my forum activity takes place on a 'phone. The DVD to me is neither use nor ornament, although I would like to see its content!

My DVD player cost well under 20 quid from Morrisons - I think some of the other supermarkets can match this. Whether this is a good buy when it's going to enable you to see my ugly mug is open to question...

• RMweb Gold

I don't see the DVD and the Bachmann News as being part of the purchase, they are free.  Carrying on from there will the price revert back to £3.95 for the next issue ??.  It is an increase of 8% and 6% above the rate of inflation and especially bearing in mind salaries and pensions remain stagnant.  It's too expensive for my pocket.

Model Rail is still only £3.75 the best buy but for how much longer

Mike

Bear in mind that Model Rail doesn't pay for this forum and Warners do, so this cost has to be figured in as well.

IIRC the last time Andy had a whip round (pre Warners) it raised £10,000+ which lasted less than 9-10 months, if the circulation of BRM was about 30,000 which would equate to 33p per issue for the forum (a bit simplistic I realise)

Personally I look at content rather than cost, I subscribe to BRM & MRJ and some argue that MRJ is too expensive for its amount of content.

If you have a PC or laptop less than 5 yrs old it should play the DVD, it's only a media file.

You can download media players for free if your PC doesn't have one

Thanks for your help, but Apple products no longer have anywhere to put a CD/DVD!

Archived