Best way to improve lighting on my Virgin 221?

topsy11

Hello.

I've just purchased a brand new Virgin Super Voyager 221.

I'm really happy with the loco after seeing a few people complaining of it being prone to de-railing and running noisy (although it is a tad noisy)

I would eventually like to convert it to DCC although at the moment this looks a little daunting for me so not sure how to tackle that yet??

I'm not overly impressed with the lights on each 'power car' so would like to improve them if possible.

I've found a website which shows someone who's done this along with a few other stunning lighting upgrades which I could only dream of at the moment :-(

Is there a lighting kit available or is it a case of buying some suitable L.E.D's and soldering? 

If its the latter are there any companies/people who are well respected if I sent the set off to have DCC fitted and upgrade the lights as I'm not overly confident with messing about with it at this stage.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for the reply.

This is the only webpage I can find on the upgrade...

The light upgrade alone looks quite daunting with all those resistors?? 

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-221/index.htm

And this page shows the DCC being fitted....they've even had to make a DIY circuit board to get it working? I'm not sure if this is normal as the trains now DCC ready??

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-221sound/index.htm

Don't mind doing a bit of soldering but not sure I'm up to sorting all those resistors out to get some lights working and making circuit boards etc.

Right, I've got my head around the lights part and which decoders I need to control those. 

Can anyone recommend a decoder for the main drive unit that'll control the motor? From reading through I was over complicating things a little. I don't need to make a circuit board and only need to connect four cables as the others won't have any function for now if I understand correctly??

• RMweb Gold

Are Express Models still trading?

I used their conversion kit for mine (about 6 years back), which came with replacement lighting boards for each end. It did require a dcc accessory decoder per end however if I remember rightly, which gave full prototypical operation

It looks like they are!

Edit : I've just ordered a lighting kit from them so fingers crossed it turns up.

I'll then order two decoders FL4's, I think once the lights have turned up.

I'll keep the thread updated. Just need to know what decoder I need for the motor - is it 8 or 21 pin?

Thanks

Mark

Express models are very much alive and well, was there today.

Can also confirm the voyager light set for Dcc is very good, I've fitted 2 sets up to now, but you will require 3 decoders for Dcc, one in each cab and one in the motor coach.

Cheers

Bob

Good to hear Bob.

Yup I'm just trying to decide what to go for. I'll probably get two FL4's in each cab for the lights and undecided whats best for the motor.

I'm just sat here watching reviews on some DCC controllers. I must say the Bachmann Dynamis is floating my boat. The only thing it doesn't seem to have is a button that slows/speeds the train up without having to do it manually.

Hi,

I have a Bachmann voyager and agree, the lights are rubbish. :(

Eventually I will attempt to use LEDs and resistors because these are way cheaper, but I believe the Express models kit is very good.

Regarding a decoder, I've had to use 3 as Bob (86902) has. In hindsight, I would have used one in the power car, and run 3 leads (red and white -, pos common) through the train to each end via mini pin connectors. This will save more than £20 when I redo it!

Making your own light curcuit isn't hard if you can solder, it just takes a little brain power to work out which resistor(s) to use.

Thanks,

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

Express models are very much alive and well, was there today.

Can also confirm the voyager light set for Dcc is very good, I've fitted 2 sets up to now, but you will require 3 decoders for Dcc, one in each cab and one in the motor coach.

Cheers

Bob

So far, I've done 6 voyagers for myself and others and all with Express kits & DCC. Having done a couple with a central decoder and plug/socket between cars to power the lights, I've settled on the 3 decoder setup as Bob above. Much easier that faffing about through wiring.

Although it the decoder needs hardwiring into the powered car, it isn't to difficult to split the pickups wires from the motor and re-route via a decoder.

If you want to only do it as DC, then I think Express do a DC lighting kit as well.

Cheers,

Mick

Also, fitting a decoder in each car it's a lot easier to fit door opening lights on a function!

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob,

Have you fitted door opening lights to a 221? If so I'd be very interested to hear how you did it as its something I'd also like to do eventually.

The express model kit turned up the next day and looks very well put together. I've not had chance to do anything with it yet as I'm still currently running DC and haven't purchased any decoders but once I've got the main loop running how I'd like that'll be my next job!

It's dead easy, order some orange nano leds from express models, they will come with resistors, wire each pair to a board, or direct and link to your decoder blue wire and function wire, repeat in each car then program.

I'm doing a turbostar at the minute

Archived