The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where is Ireland?

martin_wynne

Wonderful American financial discussion: smile.gif

The continuing ignorance of anything outside the 50 States is simply breathtaking.  :jester:

Try living here.

Inside the 50 states isn't necessarily that great either. I won't stray into politics but ignorance is celebrated in some sub-cultures where people with an education are dismissed as 'elitist'.

Please bear in mind that there appears to be an intelligence test required to be a regular talking head on 24 hour 'news' cable stations. Apparently you have to be below 85.

You might find this interesting from the CNBC Squawk Box home page:

ABOUT SQUAWK BOX

"Squawk Box" is the ultimate "pre-market" morning news and talk program, where the biggest names in business and politics tell their most important stories. Anchored by Joe Kernen, Becky Quick and Andrew Ross Sorkin, the show brings Wall Street to Main Street. It's a "must see" for everyone from the professional trader to the casual investor.

Here's the YouTube version so you can watch this clip in all it's cringe-worthy glory.

The talking heads seem to think that Rory McIlroy is from Ireland as well.

An American friend of mine planned on visiting the UK for a couple of weeks, staying in London, he was planning a "Day Trip" to Scotland, ... then I put him right !

....and you wonder why some American tourists in Britain seem to be always in a hurry!

American map of the world

I get the joke, but this one is off-base in many ways and actually illustrates a lack of understanding of the true American ignorance of world geography.

First, what is "mouse heads"? (Moose heads presumably?) Spelling mistakes in satire are, in today's parlance, an 'epic fail'. Americans usually refer to Canada as "the great white north", "frozen tundra" or "the 51st state" (not Britain).

Second, China is the "Apple Factory", literally. Most Microsoft products (or at least the profitable ones) are software. They don't need a factory for software.

Third, Americans really don't confuse Australia with Hawaii. They might not have any real concept of Australian geography, but they know it's not Hawaii. Now if we labelled Australia "drop bears" we'd be onto something.

Fourth, the area labelled "Latinos" would be labelled "illegal aliens".

Fifth, Africa should be labelled "Ebola".

Sixth, I really don't think they make Nike clothing in Iran or Afghanistan. It's much more like  China, Vietnam, Indonesia and Mexico. You could use 'drone target zone', though that really should also include Yemen.

Seventh, for Britain, near and dear to most of you, it would not be labelled the 51st state (that honour goes to Canada as I mentioned) it would most likely be home of the royal family. The Windsors, second only to Hollywood celebrities, are near and dear to readers (sorry) viewers of magazines (including the infotainment ones on TV like morning network "news") geared to women.

The level of interest in the royal family in the US might even exceed that in the UK. Despite being so proud of having ejected the monarchy, on a subconscious level, they seem to miss it.

As to the radioactive area, the level of radioactivity in the northern Pacific is increasing. Here on the Northwest coast of the US, lots of flotsam from the tsunami has washed up, and there are very real concerns about Fukushima radioactivity in the Alaskan fisheries. It's a small world.

I was taken aback by "Mouse Heads".  I think Moose Heads would be more appropriate, although as Michael points out, I've never heard it before (there are "Beaver Tails" too which Prez Obama has sampled).  There's a well known beer of that name here.  I've tried it and think it tastes more like it came out of the other end.

John

Well, I suppose we find out who are the most prejudiced. I typed in “prejudice” to Google.

The first answer that came up:

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

The first example given:

​“English prejudice against foreigners"

You can do it yourselves.

Say no more, nudge, nudge, etc.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Of course everyone in Britain knows everything..............................................................

Where shall we start?

Hi Pete,

No, we are just as daft here. smile.gif

But I think few of us would describe ourselves as a "respected financial journalist" (BBC quote) and display our ignorance on a TV discussion programme.

Martin.

Archived