Small In A Big(ger) Scale?

Tony1984

Hi everyone.

I am flirting with modelling in 7 mm and it is for this reason I need some help!

I would like to build a shunting layout set in a rural area with an SR/Military theme.  I was hoping I could have some comment about my initial track plan and idea...

In the picture I have attached I envisioned a very rural terminus, with a siding going up to a firework factory which is now used to send gunpowder for military purposes.  The factory itself wouldn't be seen, just some guarded gates possibly?  It could also justify some interesting rolling stock?  In fact the line may only really exist to serve the factory, but has had basic provisions put in place for an infrequent passenger train and general goods to serve the growing factory and rural community.  The factory is served by a small tank, which shunts goods and prepares the passenger service for its return trip if it is to be loco hauled.  There is also a small relief siding to the left which can hold 3 wagons + Loco.  The small factory tank has it's own siding/shed to the lower part of the plan.

Now the overall plan you see is 8x2ish.  So eventually I would like a traverser to the left and maybe a cassette at the top right.  Each at just over 2ft in length.  The traverser would be more important than the cassette to the factory but it would be nice to shunt a few empty gunpowder wagons off to the imaginary factory for loading etc..  I have never built a cassette or traverser so they would present a long term challenge.  It would be DCC.  I would just like some thought, comments or criticisms.  Many Thanks!

T

post-22277-0-53359400-1415126737.jpg

I think it would be a bit unlikely that a private industrial shunter would be used to shunt the SR freight and passenger stock.  You could either assume that the loop is just off the board or incorperate a gradiant to gravity shunt the stock.

A fireless loco would be ace for the fireworks siding and a very good reason why they don't just get the SR to shunt it for them.

Something like the Ixion Fowler diesel would be great for the factory. You would need a second loco to allow for running round the passenger stock  unless this is to be push pull fitted.

I like the simplicity of the plan which I believe could have great potential.

Rod

Thanks for the comments, they have certainly helped.  My thought was to have a second loco for the passenger train (one that I would attempt to build).  The factory loco would then pull the passenger coach in to a siding while the passenger loco moves so the coach can be placed back to the platform to be pulled back to civilization by the passenger loco... so a station pilot basically... what about if the passenger train brings in workers for the factory, maybe this is why the factory shunter helps out? :)

I take it that for safety reasons it would be a diesel loco for hauling the gunpowder? kaboom! :)

T

Hi everyone.

I am flirting with modelling in 7 mm and it is for this reason I need some help!

I would like to build a shunting layout set in a rural area with an SR/Military theme.  I was hoping I could have some comment about my initial track plan and idea...

In the picture I have attached I envisioned a very rural terminus, with a siding going up to a firework factory which is now used to send gunpowder for military purposes.  The factory itself wouldn't be seen, just some guarded gates possibly?  It could also justify some interesting rolling stock?  In fact the line may only really exist to serve the factory, but has had basic provisions put in place for an infrequent passenger train and general goods to serve the growing factory and rural community.  The factory is served by a small tank, which shunts goods and prepares the passenger service for its return trip if it is to be loco hauled.  There is also a small relief siding to the left which can hold 3 wagons + Loco.  The small factory tank has it's own siding/shed to the lower part of the plan.

Now the overall plan you see is 8x2ish.  So eventually I would like a traverser to the left and maybe a cassette at the top right.  Each at just over 2ft in length.  The traverser would be more important than the cassette to the factory but it would be nice to shunt a few empty gunpowder wagons off to the imaginary factory for loading etc..  I have never built a cassette or traverser so they would present a long term challenge.  It would be DCC.  I would just like some thought, comments or criticisms.  Many Thanks!

T

Nice idea Tony.

Like you I am going to have to build a traverser for the first time in 7mm (and there will be transfer sidings and some 'off stage' MOD and industrial traffic 'on down the branch').

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77273-down-ampney/

Marc Smith is a pastmaster at micro layouts in 7mm.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92282-draycott-camp-halt-sidings-7mm-finescale/

IIRC correctly 'Woodbine' from the S&CR had running rights over GWR/WR metals (two of my friends did the most recent restoration/overhaul of this charming little engine) - the GWR even allocated a number to the engine for the purposes of running rights.

http://www.swindon-cricklade-railway.org/pix2.php

And of course the prototype was used for the sound recordings (DCC) for the Ixion model, so, as the others have mentioned, this may be an option for you too.

The WD/MOD often had their own locos - look to the likes of Ludgershall (MSWJR) et al.

Very often the railway company would use the train loco for shunting, but dont forget, rope/capstan shunting (the use of wagon turntables and traversers), tractors and of course horses too! The use of 'barrier' wagons to shunt a site/shed may also be used so as not to 'trespass' and for health and safety reasons too.

Hope that the above is also food for thought.

Kindest,

CME

I think it would be a bit unlikely that a private industrial shunter would be used to shunt the SR freight and passenger stock.  You could either assume that the loop is just off the board or incorperate a gradiant to gravity shunt the stock.

A fireless loco would be ace for the fireworks siding and a very good reason why they don't just get the SR to shunt it for them.

I agree. Interesting ideas!

A small, ancient diesel loco would also fit the bill.

Agreed Chris, see my aforementioned comments.

Thank you CME, some great info there! and thanks daifly for the kit ref number!

I have had a browse for an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F but I think it could be difficult in finding a kit.. there's the AB Saddle Tank available but I don't know enough about either loco to know if the ST could be used as a base to build the Fireless version, seems like an interesting loco though..

T

Thank you CME, some great info there! and thanks daifly for the kit ref number!

I have had a browse for an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F but I think it could be difficult in finding a kit.. there's the AB Saddle Tank available but I don't know enough about either loco to know if the ST could be used as a base to build the Fireless version, seems like an interesting loco though..

T

Hi Tony,

You are most welcome!

Try PMing Adrian Swain (ABS) I am sure that he will help you - better still ring him, he is a mine of information.

Try Mercian Models too - they have a nice range of the esoteric.

Kindest,

CME

Archived