Derekstuart

I know Hornby acquired the rights to the Lima 156.

My understanding was that they had all the tooling for them and were building new ones (as in more of the same, not "new").

However I have just been told that they didn't manage to get this moulding set as it was damaged and they are in fact only finishing off old Lima stock.

Does anyone know either way?

I only found this out whilst enquiring locally about spare underframe/chassis in case my impending re-build goes wrong.

Derek

The Hornby underframe is not the same as the original Lima one. Hornby did away with the Lima motor so had to develop a new underframe in order to support its own motor. I don't know if these new Hornby underframes fit in the old Lima 156 bodies. They have done similar modifications to other ex-Lima locomotives and DMUs.

The Hornby underframe is not the same as the original Lima one. Hornby did away with the Lima motor so had to develop a new underframe in order to support its own motor. I don't know if these new Hornby underframes fit in the old Lima 156 bodies. They have done similar modifications to other ex-Lima locomotives and DMUs.

Hi,

Looking at any underframe fitted with the revised Hornby new design motor bogie it is clear that the moulding is the older Lima designed moulding with design alterations to the tooling to accomodate the new bogie.

As far as I know the newer undercrames can be fitted to Lima bodies without any problems.

Hornby aquired the Lima tooling complete and did not sell any old Lima stock at all.

Regards

The 153 Chassis is completely different compared to the underframe found on the 156, although as ive mentioned in several threads, it lends parts that can aid detailing and rebuilding the solid box that Lima used for the 156, and Hornby inherited. as previously mentioned, the Lima chassis was re-used for Hornbys re-release, and only the motor area was modified to accept the newer Hornby Motor

NL

As I said above, I know it wouldn't be right- but it would look a lot better than a solid box.

I have my Dad's training manual for when he was an instructor on 156's. It doesn't look beyond the realms of possibility to scratchbuild (especially if one has access to a 3d printer)

• RMweb Premium

As I said above, I know it wouldn't be right- but it would look a lot better than a solid box.

I have my Dad's training manual for when he was an instructor on 156's. It doesn't look beyond the realms of possibility to scratchbuild (especially if one has access to a 3d printer)

Hurst Models used to do an undeframe detailing kit for a 156. It was a vast improvement on the Lima box. Sadly no longer available in quantity. Odd ones can be found via ebay, but for silly money.

If anyone wants to go down the 3D route for a 156 detailing kit, I'm sure they'd find a ready market.

Although the original Lima 156 body is very good, the 156 is crying out for new tooling to bring it up to current underframe detail standards as well as fully DCC ready/fitted/lit. 

Over it's lifetime, there have been relatively few modifications to the prototype, but a huge number of liveries, making it - IMO - a sure choice fo future production.

I wonder if Realtrack have this in mind after the 144/143 dust settles?

Cheers,

Mick

Realtrack have produced stunning results with the 144 and no one can deny that- as soon as they have gone back in time to pre privatisation, I shall be buying some.

However, as a smaller company they will likely be quite sure but steady in their progress and will want to maximise their return on 143/144 before turning to anything else (just a guess and I'm not trying to speak for them). Either way, with the development time and production schedules in China, I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

THAT SAID: I think Mr Petty is quite a clever chap and unlike other companies, he keeps his cards very close to his chest. For all we know there could be a 156 ready to go into production the middle of next week. You make a good point about the livery combinations being good selling points.

Hurst Models used to do an undeframe detailing kit for a 156. It was a vast improvement on the Lima box. Sadly no longer available in quantity. Odd ones can be found via ebay, but for silly money.

If anyone wants to go down the 3D route for a 156 detailing kit, I'm sure they'd find a ready market.

Although the original Lima 156 body is very good, the 156 is crying out for new tooling to bring it up to current underframe detail standards as well as fully DCC ready/fitted/lit. 

Over it's lifetime, there have been relatively few modifications to the prototype, but a huge number of liveries, making it - IMO - a sure choice fo future production.

I wonder if Realtrack have this in mind after the 144/143 dust settles?

Cheers,

Mick

Any drawings Mick?

WBF have you seen this site?

http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_underframe.htm

There is in fact a photo missing, but other than that it gives a good idea of the underframe.

I am off to Whitby in the next few weeks. A polite request to be able to take photos of under the solebar usually results in a "as long as we don't see you, we can't stop you" response. If not, then a zoom lense from across the station.

Archived