Class 31 P4 Conversion

• 5 months later...

Looks ace

Will it be P4 only or is EM catered for?

Cheers

Will

Alas it is only for P4 due to design constraints relating to the sprung bolster unit. An EM version would have had to be a completely separate project.

I too would be interested in at least one set - how much are we talking about

No price has been set yet - but it will most likely be in line with other P4 sprung bogies for diesels etc

Edited by EHertsGER

No price has been set yet - but it will most likely be in line with other P4 sprung bogies for diesels etc

Do let us know how it all goes. Obviously I'd like to buy a set to build, but also perhaps a second set to mount in a picture frame, depending on how your etch arrangement turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously tempted to put my name down for a kit, just a couple of questions

What are you proposing to use for the 3'3" center wheels, as none of the usual sources (Gibson. Ultrascale) have that diameter as part of their range? will these be available as an extra with the kit?

Assuming that your located in the USA will the kits, postage, etc be priced in USD?

Jonathan

On balance I think its best to refrain from speculation about wheels/springing etc, and wait for EHertsGER to provide a definitive answer - he's the designer and best qualified to comment on the wheels required.

Jonathan

Well that little exchange shook me out of my Saturday morning lethargy! So, first up, the wheels:

post-6357-0-10890000-1499521288_thumb.jpg

NB NO Wheels will be supplied with the kit. If you are planning on using Ultrascale wheels, get your orders in now!

Next we have the completed bogies showing the final arrangement of bogie frame, bolster supports and side frame locator, together with the hornblocks in place. Note the sprining is on the outside of the bogie assembly, but of course inboard of the cosmetic side frames.

post-6357-0-10264300-1499521382_thumb.jpg

And finally the Hornby chassis (yes, one of those chassis that suffered cracking) showing the actual bolster and the inner drive components.

post-6357-0-20009800-1499521447_thumb.jpg

All to be assembled today, so watch this space...

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 2

I'm seriously tempted to put my name down for a kit, just a couple of questions

What are you proposing to use for the 3'3" center wheels, as none of the usual sources (Gibson. Ultrascale) have that diameter as part of their range? will these be available as an extra with the kit?

Assuming that your located in the USA will the kits, postage, etc be priced in USD?

Jonathan

No, I am solely responsible for funding this effort. All the hard work has been done by Justin Newitt of Runmey Models. He will be marketing and supplying the kits through his business.

The 3'2" wheel would be more than adequate.

In view of that will there be two different center bearing carriers, one for a 3'3" wheel and another for 3'2" (assuming that the bogie will be using CSB?)

Jonathan

The center bearing is set lower to accommodate the small wheel. The springing is on each wheel so there will be no interplay between the larger and small diameters.

Well that little exchange shook me out of my Saturday morning lethargy! So, first up, the wheels:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

NB NO Wheels will be supplied with the kit. If you are planning on using Ultrascale wheels, get your orders in now!

Best,

Marcus

Assuming the 3' 3 1/2" are the warship wheels?

Well I got one done in a busy day yesterday - clearly not painted, nor are the springs the right gauge or finished properly, but it all seems to go together well and settles down nicely. More as we keep going.

So, contributors: paint or blacking; if the latter, which one...?

post-6357-0-01639300-1499611958_thumb.jpg

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 3