Class 31 P4 Conversion

• RMweb Gold

The current state of play is that we have all the 'stuff' we need to get on with this and a willing 'volunteer' for the prototyping/development work, but diaries are full until the end of September 2016. So, the proposed date of 'by the end of 2016' is still attainable as work will begin in a couple of weeks.

And yes, it will be P4 and EM and Class 31 (oh, alright, Class 30 as well..) only.

I'll keep you posted...

Great news - I'm just getting into EM, and a '31' is on my hit list! So pleased to hear that someone is doing them, after discovering they were not on the Penbits list!

Rich

EDIT: Ah, didn't see there was a page 2 ... on which is the bit about it being P4 only :( Oh dear.... lol!  

Edited by MarshLane

• 4 weeks later...

My preference would be for paint. (airbrushed Tamiya xf-85 rubber black)

Also how much of the etched sub frame will be visible once the bogies side frames are attached? 

Jonathan

Probably very little - this is the Hornby bogies side frame as it prior to the P4 bogies:

post-6357-0-37214800-1501944607.jpg

Best,

Marcus

Completed bogies, painted and wheels/wheel springs attached. Bolsters sitting on top:

post-6357-0-06132100-1501948881_thumb.jpg

...and here with the original Hornby drive installed and the bolster reinstalled around it. Bar the cosmetic sides, ready to fit to the chassis. One or two tweaks to the other one (a gear was not aligned with the drive train so had to be moved) and we should have some movement...

post-6357-0-29018900-1501980150_thumb.jpg

More soon...

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Great news - I'm just getting into EM, and a '31' is on my hit list! So pleased to hear that someone is doing them, after discovering they were not on the Penbits list!

Rich

EDIT: Ah, didn't see there was a page 2 ... on which is the bit about it being P4 only :( Oh dear.... lol!

Having built the bogies now I found that my P4 wheel set required washers to set them equally in the bogie. I haven't taken measurements, but my feeling is this slack may be enough to enable an EM assembly. All is not lost...yet. Edited by EHertsGER

Good work Marcus. Can't wait for these to go on sale. Have you tired them with other wheel combo's (Gibson?)

I reamed out the Hornby stub axles to take a 2mm axle to a push for in my initial attempt to re gauge to P4. Did you do the same Marcus?

James

Good work Marcus. Can't wait for these to go on sale. Have you tired them with other wheel combo's (Gibson?)

I reamed out the Hornby stub axles to take a 2mm axle to a push for in my initial attempt to re gauge to P4. Did you do the same Marcus?

James

I did more or less that: I bored them just under 2mm for an interference fit on the regular Ultrascale axles, making sure they meshed with the offset gears of the drive unit. Once happy with all that, a smear of araldite and all is done. Some trimming of the stub on either side was necessary to ensure a fit between the hornblocks, but nothing difficult.

The bogies should be available at Scalefour - best to nag Justin at Rumney Models as he is marketing them.

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

• 1 month later...

Saw the sample on show at Scaleforum - looks very good. Didn't appear to be available yet, not on Justin's price list.

I understand there is a small modification to be done to the bolster based on the experience of another test builder. In addition I have asked for etched EE exhaust vents to be included so those converting LIMA bodies can make sure the roof looks right - and the Hornby vents looked a bit off too when I looked over the same example you saw.

On top of that Justin is just jolly busy.

Having said that you know they are out there...

My project is moving on slowly too as I have been distracted by work etc too. Suffice to say that I have it all assembled on my chassis - which is a much modified LIMA chassis, having started this before I read about Jim S-W's quick approach - and moving under its own power. All that is left is to mount the bogie side frames and end spacers, then fit to the body, stand back, look smug and pour an 'adult beverage'. But when, I have no clue...

Best,

Marcus

• Like 1

It lives!

post-6357-0-10682700-1507419115_thumb.jpeg

My apologies for taking so long to get this thing going, but it has now slinked quietly down my test track and shown every sign of weighing the hundred or so tons of the prototype, so I am jolly pleased (not chuffed, that would be for a steam locomotive, surely?). Just for those who might be looking askance at the chassis, it has been modified from the original LIMA chassis, rather than being a Hornby one.

Anyway, we have now proven this sprung arrangement works and moves!

Now for the cosmetic bogie sides etc and replacing it under the body...

More soon, I promise!

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Marcus

Looks good - question - will/does the chassis have the distinctive "U" shape between the front bogie frames?

IMG_1438.JPG

(http://www.a1alocomotives.co.uk/images/IMG_1438.JPG)

I know thats the battery box end - but the front end is similar with the guard irons attached.

Picture559.jpg

Front of bogie with the 'W' or 'U' between the bogie side frames and guard irons projecting forward

J

• 3 weeks later...

‘Eagle-eyed readers’ will have spotted the lack of internal handrails to the engine compartment. Well I have fabricated them, but have no idea what colour they should be: silver, grey seem to be possibilities. Taking into account wear and tear, a silver colour worn from orignal grey? The reward is pictures of the finished locomotive, as that is all that is left to do...

Well, apart from headcode discs, but that can wait.

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

• 1 month later...

Finally! This is about as finished as it is going to be for the time being. Key point to note are;

LIMA body on a reconstructed LIMA chassis using Hornby motor, gearbox and bogies

post-6357-0-30677600-1514645221_thumb.jpeg

Much handrail wire, bits and bobs around the body and all over the front, Lazerglaze to the windows

Sprung P4 bogies developed in conjunction (as in ‘he did all the hard work, I just stood around doing not much’) with Justin Newitt at Rumney Models. PHD bogie steps, making a huge difference!

post-6357-0-57423100-1514645522_thumb.jpeg

Ultrascale wheels (order yours now!)

It works - and slinks along niclely looking all 100+ tons.

post-6357-0-76964600-1514645691_thumb.jpeg

All in all pleased but it has been a monumental task to get it ‘right’ and into P4.

I hope you like it!

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 3

Has anybody done an EM test build, and are the exhaust ports available seperately?

Mike.

I plan on trying an EM build - not exactly difficult insofar as it seems only to be a new (different) set of wheels. I have another 31 on my list so will divert into EM to try it out as part of that build, but not this week! The slack in the sidelpay of the axles indicates this is a possibility.

The exhaust ports will likely be on a separate sheet and so, yes, could be made available separately. Best ask Justin...

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

• 2 months later...

And here they are: sprung bogies for the Hornby BR Class 30/31 or Brush Type 2 for those of you who prefer green. Anyway, Rumney Models will be marketing them, though I have no idea on price. Best ask Justin at Scalefour North where I understand he will have some for sale to lucky punters.

The packet!

post-6357-0-03084900-1520004586_thumb.jpeg

What you see is what you get:

post-6357-0-08014900-1520004597_thumb.jpeg

And yes, included are the replacement EE exhaust vents you will need for all but two of the class unless you bung up the door vents on a LIMA body (see everyone else’s notes on Class 31s)

post-6357-0-86054400-1520004610_thumb.jpeg

Enjoy!

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 4

And here they are: sprung bogies for the Hornby BR Class 30/31 or Brush Type 2 for those of you who prefer green. Anyway, Rumney Models will be marketing them, though I have no idea on price. Best ask Justin at Scalefour North where I understand he will have some for sale to lucky punters.

Excellent I'll be contacting Justin forthwith!