Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Weston, Clevedon, Portishead Railway

Johnserle

• RMweb Premium

I really like this, very well presented 7mm scale light railway with great locos & carriages. I suspect the WC&PR was not generally this well tended In the Col Stephens era!

I will be in Tempe Arizona next Jan so would welcome the chance to meet John & see the layout!

Dava

Edited by Dava

... It is still very early days for the layout and so I have not yet got into weathering the stock (reluctant to cover up the paint finish!!). ....

Superb models, and I myself would be reluctant to see that paint go under the grime. Perhaps you could time-lock the period to the "smart" era?

• RMweb Premium

Very nice work John

Here in the UK, I help a friend with a trade stand at narrow gauge shows and we had a customer who bought some coach parts as he thought they were about the right size for WCP Coaches - I have no idea if they turned out to be accurate or not but he thought they were near enough to give it a try. See here for information.

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/San_Juan/Coaches/coach_parts.html

Of course it would be best for you to find a local supplier or go direct

http://www.sanjuancarco.com/on3-parts-and-miscellaneous/

Hope that helps

John,

Beautiful layout, WC&P was one of a long list of 'layouts to model before I die', but will never happen unless I live to 400!

My daughter is now living near Weston and we often go up to Clevedon. Keep the pictures and updates coming, if you need any field work doing this side of the pond, or information ferreting out, just let me know.

Peter

This was nice to wake up to. I like the Colonel Stephens railways and the WCPR has always been of interest as I grew up in Bristol and visited the three towns on the route often during the 60s and 70s. I look forward to following this thread.

Regards,

Hello John,

This is delightful. I lived in Nailsea between 1979-81, but I never managed to find the route of line through Clevedon. Please keep the posts coming. Any chance of close ups of your stock?

The WC&P ran through the centre of Clevedon past the front of what is now WH Smiths.

Keith.

Delightful looking layout so far! The "American" style coaches are quite interesting - I've never seen anything like them from pictures of UK railways, however they're very familiar as a former modeller of Australian railways!

The 'American' coaches were originally destined for Argentina but were sold on to the WC&P when the order was cancelled.

Edited by sparks

Hi John, 

As one of those from the Nailsea  MRC that built  the model featured in the BBC TV program I'm glad to see your efforts.  I'm not sure what happened to the stock after I sold all mine (most of the locos small Railcar) . The filming of the layout took  all day when we set the layout  up in the Church hall for filming. 

Not to be out done by the BBC the local ITV  (HTV?) also made a short piece on the line,  that though involved  setting the layout up on the old track bed in the Gordano  valley. Trouble was every time the sun came out the code 100 rails spiked to wooden sleepers expanded and closed isolating  joints up! So trains would only run when the sun went behind the clouds - which didnt please the director!

Keep up the good work and dont forget to post some more photos please. - I'll see if I can find some of mine.

Trevor.

• Like 1

John, that is a fantastic model. Thanks for sharing. It just goes to show what can be done in 7mm scale, and given where you are it's not like you can just pop into the local model shop for bits, or ask Fred down the road for help. Seeing your photos at the head of the thread was a delightful surprise.

Hi John, 

As one of those from the Nailsea  MRC that built  the model featured in the BBC TV program I'm glad to see your efforts.  I'm not sure what happened to the stock after I sold all mine (most of the locos small Railcar) . The filming of the layout took  all day when we set the layout  up in the Church hall for filming. 

Not to be out done by the BBC the local ITV  (HTV?) also made a short piece on the line,  that though involved  setting the layout up on the old track bed in the Gordano  valley. Trouble was every time the sun came out the code 100 rails spiked to wooden sleepers expanded and closed isolating  joints up! So trains would only run when the sun went behind the clouds - which didnt please the director!

Keep up the good work and dont forget to post some more photos please. - I'll see if I can find some of mine.

Trevor.

Thanks Trevor. Any pics would be appreciated. I have to work from the 3 books that I have so pictures are limited. I am back in Nailsea over Xmas to visit my son there. Will try to get some photos from the site of the old Clevedon station for a possible backdrop scene. Also will be visiting c&l finescale for some fencing material. Regard, John

Hi  John, 

I guess you have seen this site: http://www.wcpr.org.uk/  Seems to be a lot of info. 

Cant find the few digital photos at the moment  (they may be on one of my hard drives elsewhere in the world. )  But I may have them in my stuff in UK - but I'm only here for a couple more days.

Regards

Trev

• RMweb Premium

Hello John

It's always really nice to see another WC&PR modeller!

Needless to say I'm really impressed with your layout. It looks good (and strangely familiar!)

I'm a 4mm modeller having built both Weston and Clevedon in EM. I've tended to put stuff on blogs rather than threads. There are links on my signature block.

My layout of Clevedon is out and about on the circuit at the moment.

Let me know if you need any information. I've acquired quite a few bits and pieces over the years.

I'm aware of some 7mm stuff being available from Steam and Things and Dragon Models.

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your comments. Yes, I was aware of your layout from the WC & P website and your blog has helped me with some of the details that I have not been able to get from photographs in the books that I possess. I have had to reduce the size of my layout relative to your's scaled from 4mm to 7mm due to space constraints. Mine is 18ft long and just enough room to run a train into the runaround loop. I have used info. from the WC & P website to source some of my modeling material and have also been able to buy some good Metropolitan Jubilee coach etchings from Ken de Groome. I had to make up my own steps though since his etchings are for the London underground versions .I scratch built Hesperus from the drawings in Chris Redwood's book. The two bogie coaches were scratch built using plasticard, bass wood and brass. I made a soldering jig for the decorative railings which are mainly 1/32" brass rod .I need to build railings from the platform to the station building which is not made yet. I see peco make some in 7mm scale so plan to pick some up when I visit my son in Nailsea over Xmas. Last visit I went to C&L finescale in Avonmouth and found some useful materials.

regards, John