Glazing / Windows - I want FLAT Flush windows

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest retiring the Mainline SK and BSK, (the FO BCK or RB are good) as they are slightly strange. The SE Finecast glazing goes yellow.

You can flush the FO BCK with Replica glazing.

I have similar issue with Lima Mk1s, I will brass side mine as that can look pretty good

I have done some rtr coaches with brass sides. You have to cut away the window area of the coach and then glue the sides on. The trouble with mainline coaches is that they are a bit shallow sided for the comet sides. Also,of course, you have to paint and line the new sides.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I have done some rtr coaches with brass sides. You have to cut away the window area of the coach and then glue the sides on. The trouble with mainline coaches is that they are a bit shallow sided for the comet sides. Also,of course, you have to paint and line the new sides.

Dave

They may accept 247 sides then as they are 1mm shallower

I think it's the same thin material that's used in vacuum formed bubble packaging; maybe acetate, so flexible but not like silicone. It doesn't have sharp corners, so face to frame can be a bit 'gappy' and rounded. Some fit better than others; Hornby/Triang Mk1's can be improved easily but the mk2's are a nightmare. I'm not sure about the yellowing; can't say I've seen that happen.

Andrew,

You say, 'some fit better than others'. Very true. They actually supply the windows in fractionally different sizes within each pack. So it's worth cutting out all of the windows, then offering them up to see if they fit. (It does tell you this in the guidance leaflet, but who reads instructions!)

Rick

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure about the yellowing; can't say I've seen that happen.

I've used it quite few times and have had some packs in storage for many years.  The yellowing seems to be inconsistent.  Some packs go yellow in storage whilst others haven't, despite them all being in cupboards away from sunlight.

There's many a true word spoken in jest.

Those 'smoking' carriages really were filthy and, I expect, any totally dedicated modeller could show this in the colour of his windows. Hmmm, a few nice clear ones with "no smoking" stickers on the windows, and the rest (most of them) nicely smoke-tar yellowed. They used a different smoking/non-smoking upholstery too...

Can someone please post some pictures showing the 'smoking coaches' FLUSH-GLAZE windows, so we can see if the yellowing would be suitable for smoke-tar stained glass ?

Ye gods, does this mean the 'yellowed' FLUSH-GLAZE are now more valuable than the pristine clear ones? What have I started !

As it's now 00:31, think I'll go to bed and sleep on this. G'nite all,

Rick

Archived