Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Just started looking for the numbers etc for a 14xx in early BR black based at Gloucester for a Golden Valley might-have-been project, and hey presto! It looks like there's a decent RTR model of *exactly* what I was after about to arrive... Really looking forward to seeing the model once it's released.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Apologies for not having my own source books to check up on this question myself.  I would like to pre-order one of these smashing little engines with a mind to renumbering the model to 1441, a long time Gloucester engine.  Could any one advise me of a suitable base model which would have the correct combination of top feed, whistle etc.  I imagine given it's closeness in numerical sequence, H1413 Engine number 1444 would be a sister engine but I suspect things are not so simple.  I am really looking for an engine for the Berkeley Road to Lydney run in the late 50's.

Many thanks.

D.

• RMweb Gold

@Hattons Dave

Will the model of 1420 still have the tall whistle guard and top feed as originally announced?

Hi 9402,

H1406 (No.1420) will be produced without top feed and whistle guard as per its late 1940s guise.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Apologies for not having my own source books to check up on this question myself.  I would like to pre-order one of these smashing little engines with a mind to renumbering the model to 1441, a long time Gloucester engine.  Could any one advise me of a suitable base model which would have the correct combination of top feed, whistle etc.  I imagine given it's closeness in numerical sequence, H1413 Engine number 1444 would be a sister engine but I suspect things are not so simple.  I am really looking for an engine for the Berkeley Road to Lydney run in the late 50's.

Many thanks.

D.

Hi D,

One of the photos of No.1441 in our research material shows it with a top feed and in BR black in 1957, and I understand that this is the condition it spent the majority of its BR life (never gaining a repaint into BR green). On this basis I would suggest ordering H1412 which is fitted with the correct details for No.1441 and will also be characteristically grubby as the BR black locos became in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Cheers,

Dave

Many thanks Dave, looking forward to getting my paws on one.  Just amended my pre-order list with hattons.  I had ordered H1413 last night as it looked 'reeeel pwrety' (as cleetus might say) but grubby black it shall be.

D.

Edited by Dale

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Dave, looking forward to getting my paws on one.  Just amended my pre-order list with hattons.  I had ordered H1413 last night as it looked 'reeeel pwrety' (as cleetus might say) but grubby black it shall be.

D.

Hi Dale,

If you're tempted more by the BR green with early crest, No.1453 was a fellow Gloucester engine that survived in this livery until withdrawal in 1964, if that helps a decision!

Cheers,

Dave 

Edited by Hatton's Dave

Would H1413 be the right model to become that engine Dave? I would love an excuse to have two.... One black e/crest, one green l/crest.

D.

• RMweb Gold

Hi both,

Dale, H1413 will have a top feed whereas No.1453 did not. H1413 as supplied as No.1444 was a Gloucester loco in the early 1960s, however it did lose its early emblem for a late crest at some point. I can't confirm whether this was before or after its move to Gloucester, although I would hesitate a guess that it took place during its overhaul in 1961 - can one of RMweb's resident Swindon aficionados possibly help here? Another option for you would be buying a H1414 and renumbering as No.1472 which was a Gloucester loco from 1959 until 1964, with the model having the correct details for this.

Samuel, we can supply any of the sixteen loco's we're producing with DCC or DCC sound should you wish - both options are present on the ordering page for each item but drop us an email or give us a call if you wish.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi both,

Dale, H1413 will have a top feed whereas No.1453 did not. H1413 as supplied as No.1444 was a Gloucester loco in the early 1960s, however it did lose its early emblem for a late crest at some point. I can't confirm whether this was before or after its move to Gloucester, although I would hesitate a guess that it took place during its overhaul in 1961 - can one of RMweb's resident Swindon aficionados possibly help here? Another option for you would be buying a H1414 and renumbering as No.1472 which was a Gloucester loco from 1959 until 1964, with the model having the correct details for this.

Samuel, we can supply any of the sixteen loco's we're producing with DCC or DCC sound should you wish - both options are present on the ordering page for each item but drop us an email or give us a call if you wish.

Cheers,

Dave

This may not be a lot of help but 1444 was an 81D Reading engine in (I think) lined green with (definitely) early crest when it hauled the last train on the Wallingford branch in June 1959.

Hello Hatton's Dave

From a modelling perspective, how easy will it be to alter the front tool box position. I'm buying two 58XX (both the same donor model H1410l) but one of the prototypes I'll be doing has it's tool box further back in the middle of the splasher. Could the tool box be theoretically moved back with care by the modeller?

Cheers

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

Hello Hatton's Dave

From a modelling perspective, how easy will it be to alter the front tool box position. I'm buying two 58XX (both the same donor model H1410l) but one of the prototypes I'll be doing has it's tool box further back in the middle of the splasher. Could the tool box be theoretically moved back with care by the modeller?

Cheers

Hi 9793,

The toolboxes will be affixed with two studs on the underside, with locating recesses on the frame. As they are a separately fitted part it should be possibly to carefully remove these, file the locating studs away and relocate these without too much of an issue.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi 9793,

The toolboxes will be affixed with two studs on the underside, with locating recesses on the frame. As they are a separately fitted part it should be possibly to carefully remove these, file the locating studs away and relocate these without too much of an issue.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

That's what I was hoping for. Much appreciated.

Cheers :)

• RMweb Premium

From the information received so far it looks to be an excellent model and I am looking forward to delivery date.

Is there any news on the latest delivery date? :sungum:

October 2016 - see the King thread

Hi,

I'm probably a bit out of the loop here regarding changes but I was interested in H1406. Originally when I first saw the listing on Hatton's, around February, it had a Top Feed, Tall Whistle Guard, AT box and Auto-gear as stated on the front page in this image .

post-1-0-73741900-1416493328_thumb.jpg

I'm now a little disheartened to see H1406 no longer has any of these features as it was the exact variant of the locomotive I was looking for. The only thing is now that non of the GWR liveried locomotives have any of these features together, I'm going to have to resort to a BR green one and I do not trust myself completely repainting a loco of this price - I'm fine with number changes and lettering alterations but not full on repaints.

Is there any reason why this was changed or is it simply a new variant to fill the gap since the original sold out?

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm probably a bit out of the loop here regarding changes but I was interested in H1406. Originally when I first saw the listing on Hatton's, around February, it had a Top Feed, Tall Whistle Guard, AT box and Auto-gear as stated on the front page in this image .

I'm now a little disheartened to see H1406 no longer has any of these features as it was the exact variant of the locomotive I was looking for. The only thing is now that non of the GWR liveried locomotives have any of these features together, I'm going to have to resort to a BR green one and I do not trust myself completely repainting a loco of this price - I'm fine with number changes and lettering alterations but not full on repaints.

Is there any reason why this was changed or is it simply a new variant to fill the gap since the original sold out?

Cheers.

Hi,

After initial research into the locos it was found that 1420, when in GWR condition, did not have the features listed.  We have photographic evidence of this and so we felt we had to either change the running number or the details.  As this better represents a post-war GWR loco, we changed the details to mean the number matched what was in our image.  We are aware 1420 is preserved in the condition which you require but, as we already have 1450 in preserved condition, we decided to make this accurate to the GWR period.  I know that this is now not exactly what you want, we have tried to keep things to as we announced but when we get new research materials handed to us showing something different we have to make a decision on how to change.  

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 7