H 33 restaurant carriage finished

• RMweb Gold

The H39/H40 combination was also the regular dining combination on the Cornish Riviera Express in the late 50s / very early 60s.

the two pairings were (H39) 9618 or 9619 and (H40) 9623 or 9625. They were in chocolate and cream from 1956.

• Like 1

I have just been clearing out my late father's "bits" boxes and here are the Kitmaster windows mentioned previously that could be used to update the Hornby H33 body. Window frames moulded in, just need fixing in from rear. There is a tab, either side to assist in positioning and to stop them pushing through the aperture. If you want any of these let me know.

post-9992-0-33662400-1419447797_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

As I said yesterday some pictures.

As mentioned before the brass sides are 2mm too long and as someone suggested that they were designed to fit the Hornby coach, sides and plug in ends (the extra 1mm at each end) After some thought I decided to cheat by not trying to trim 1mm off each end but to use the new sides to cover the old sides and ends. This meant giving the plug in end a very slight ridge with microstrip. These are the white bits at the end of the carriage roof. The carriage ends have been treated by cutting off the moulded handrails and plastic corridor connections. The sides have been rubbed down to get rid of the raised detail (what appear to be grey handles and door grabs). The pencil marks are the cutting marks.

post-7090-0-18661400-1419508845_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-76258200-1419508877_thumb.jpg

I have already shaved off the moulded handrails on the roof and replaced them with brass wire.

post-7090-0-07625600-1419508944_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As I said yesterday some pictures.

As mentioned before the brass sides are 2mm too long and as someone suggested that they were designed to fit the Hornby coach, sides and plug in ends (the extra 1mm at each end) After some thought I decided to cheat by not trying to trim 1mm off each end but to use the new sides to cover the old sides and ends. This meant giving the plug in end a very slight ridge with microstrip. These are the white bits at the end of the carriage roof. The carriage ends have been treated by cutting off the moulded handrails and plastic corridor connections. The sides have been rubbed down to get rid of the raised detail (what appear to be grey handles and door grabs). The pencil marks are the cutting marks.

attachicon.gifH33 f1.jpg

attachicon.gifH33 f2.jpg

I have already shaved off the moulded handrails on the roof and replaced them with brass wire.

attachicon.gifH33 f3.jpg

Looking good Alan. I did something similar to this a few years ago. I started off with the intention of just putting Comet sides on the Hornby body, but one thing led to another and I ended up replacing everything except the roof and the interior moulding, as below.

Note that the gas cylinders should run longitudinally not laterally, but I can't be bothered to change mine now. I see that one of the grab handles has fallen off as well, which I will get round to fixing (eventually).

Good luck.

(edited to spell cylinders properly)

post-21039-0-56374300-1419543038_thumb.jpgpost-21039-0-71337600-1419543049_thumb.jpgpost-21039-0-35533600-1419543054_thumb.jpgpost-21039-0-78727700-1419543029_thumb.jpg

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looks good St Enodoc. Could you or anyone else tell me if the green seats are correct for an H33 painted maroon rather than blood and custard.

Sorry Alan, I don't know. I had no information at all as to the correct seat colours so just used something that looked sensible.

Bits now added. the door handles and grab handles from a comet fret. the hinges from some thin brass rod. Slightly too long I know. All superglued into place. Tomorrow will be the clean before priming ala Tony Wright with Red oxide and then spraying with Ford Burgundy Red.

post-7090-0-19402500-1419885786_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-84529900-1419885820_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-23014200-1419885851_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Bits now added. the door handles and grab handles from a comet fret. the hinges from some thin brass rod. Slightly too long I know. All superglued into place. Tomorrow will be the clean before priming ala Tony Wright with Red oxide and then spraying with Ford Burgundy Red.

attachicon.gifhandles etc f1.jpg

attachicon.gifhandles etc f2.jpg

attachicon.gifhandles etc f3.jpg

Alan, I would have been inclined to fit the T-handles and grab handles after painting and lining...

• RMweb Gold

Looking very nice,

Hopefully my doner coach will arrive tomorrow (along with a couple of brakes which will be getting comet sides)

For the H33 the plan is to do a test fit with a Bachmann mk1 window and see how it looks before deciding if I'm going to do this or go down the brass sides for this as well.

• RMweb Gold

So after a quick comparison with some mk1 windows, they are narrower than the H33 windows, so looks like that is out.

So will be ordering the Comet etches this evening.

Can anyone adise where I can find some prototype photos? I've looked in my copies of Russel and only found a drawing in vol2, I've also looked in my copy of Harris GW Coaches, but it's not indexed by diagram and in the chapter on resturant coaches i couldn't see anything.

Looking for info on the end, under frame and roof to assist my improvements

Thamks

Rich

• RMweb Premium

So after a quick comparison with some mk1 windows, they are narrower than the H33 windows, so looks like that is out.

So will be ordering the Comet etches this evening.

Can anyone adise where I can find some prototype photos? I've looked in my copies of Russel and only found a drawing in vol2, I've also looked in my copy of Harris GW Coaches, but it's not indexed by diagram and in the chapter on resturant coaches i couldn't see anything.

Looking for info on the end, under frame and roof to assist my improvements

Thamks

Rich

Rich, you need Russell Appendix 2. Fig 199 is a broadside works photo of the kitchen side of 9578 and fig 201 is a three-quarter view (in a train) of the corridor side of 9579, in both cases after sliding ventilators were fitted. There is also a photo of the corridor side of 9580 after conversion to a buffet car. There are a number of photos of other diagrams showing the end arrangements which should be a useful guide for you. The Hornby roof is pretty good as it is if you upgrade things like handrails and ventilators.

(edited to add further information)

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

Rich, you need Russell Appendix 2. Fig 199 is a broadside works photo of the kitchen side of 9578 and fig 201 is a three-quarter view (in a train) of 9579, in both case after sliding ventilators were fitted. There is also a photo of 9580 after conversion to a buffet car. There are a number of photos of other diagrams showing the end arrangements which should be a useful guide for you. The Hornby roof is pretty good as it is if you upgrade things like handrails and ventilators.

Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye out for a copy...

Why does the photo you want always happen to be in the volume you don't have....

My plan was to replace the ventilators and hand rails, but I was interested in checking the accuracy of the rectangular box in the centre of the roof.

Yesterday afternoon spent some time painting the interior as suggested by Andy M Blue for first class and maroon (Red/brown for second class and white table tops. Not sure yet whether to paint the kitchen silver to give a stainless steel look.

post-7090-0-08638600-1420037106_thumb.jpg

I also added the handrails on each end, gave the sides a final clean up with the old fibre brush and then primed the coach with Red Oxide primer, and gave it a second coat this morning.

post-7090-0-05749900-1420037225_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-22553700-1420037246_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow it will get the first top coat of Ford Burgundy Red.

• Like 6

In GWR days, the first class patrons got table lamps and anti-macassars (the, typically white, cloths at the top of the seat backs).

Adrian

Edit. changed diners to patrons to avoid confusion between the people and the coaches

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Three coats of Ford Burgundy red

post-7090-0-64075900-1420295023_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-47865100-1420295078_thumb.jpg

It is darker than it looks.

Monday I will order the lining.

Next is to put the footsteps on the chassis and perhaps paint the kitchen area. does any body know what that might be. I am assuming the sinks and cooker would be stainless. would the cupboards underneath the sink be the stainless as well?

Edited by westerner
  • Like 4

Three coats of Ford Burgundy red

attachicon.giftopcoat f1a.jpg

attachicon.giftopcoat f2.jpg

It is darker than it looks.

Monday I will order the lining.

Next is to put the footsteps on the canopy and perhaps paint the kitchen area. does any body know what that might be. I am assuming the sinks and cooker would be stainless. would the cupboards underneath the sink be the stainless as well?

Remember that the windows into the kitchen area are all hammered glass, so you shouldn't be able to see through them. The only visibility would be through the doorway from the corridor.

That being said, there is a photo of the kitchen area of an H49 (ex-articulated stock) in Russell's Appendix 2 (Fig 293). In that one there don't appear to be cabinets under the sink area, and there are wire rack shelves under the counter area. The oven doors appear to be mainly dark glass.

Adrian