RMweb

Two steps back.

73CF6B3C-DD72-48CA-B274-B115BE5562B2.jpeg.9aafccfba6e5e67efaacb888c4ce9494.jpeg

I tried to fit the grub screw tonight. Fitted it and applied power. The gears spun but not the wheel. Looked to tighten it further. 
it sheered. 
I thought about needing to ask highlevel for another. However it might be easier to drill it out and pin it. 
Or extract the axle, if I can, and get a new final gear and grub screw if I can.

thoughts? 
richard

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me, I got distracted.

6B59AF30-83E1-4DD1-91A9-BD957C43B5A4.jpeg.7038925b5d4c7bf41ff0b2e59c6927be.jpeg

it is Christmas after all and I needed something which can be picked up and put down easily with all the distractions around.

it is a 1913 type K Aquila italiana sports for the geeks amongst you. 
happy modeling.

richard  

• Like 8

Distraction complete

35BFA426-9F9E-4C10-9776-68E9C11AE47A.jpeg.2b4649fd29bf2e578321569a15ed9191.jpeg
B557B5CB-52D9-472F-BB5A-E50CC4B02AF3.jpeg.26bdc06f2848fb1e0888b9e7bdfda73b.jpeg

normal service to resume.

the fun of an interesting aside. Black tyres came about in 1912 with the inclusion of soot and later carbon into tyres to triple the number of miles they would do from about 5000 to 15000. Prior to that tires were white due to silica being added. They were also cheaper and so the transition was from 1912 to about 1917. Therefore to ring the changes this 1913 car having white tires is possible. However, with two cars, two motor lorries, one steam lorry, (one more to finish), and only 3 horses drawn wagons, the mix is too mechanical for my 1910-1920 main period of depiction. (I must find where I stashed the milkman and Mortimore coal merchants for the move. They will be “safely” stored in one of the boxes.)

richard

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My sympathies Richard.

Having moved in the summer of 2008, I have only this autumn found my tray of Precision paints pre-grouping selection.   I think with care I ca3n still resurrect the majority.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

If it's any relation to @Clive Mortimore i'll be on a bridge somewhere.

I believe Mr Irven used the surname from two of his former pupils. I understand both were very bright and potentially had a good future ahead. Sadly that has not been the reality. I blame their teachers.

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

If it's any relation to @Clive Mortimore i'll be on a bridge somewhere.

I only had one layer not double decked so that was not the first place I looked. However I have checked even those bridges on the layout and still nothing. 

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I believe Mr Irven used the surname from two of his former pupils. I understand both were very bright and potentially had a good future ahead. Sadly that has not been the reality. I blame their teachers.

I only taught one so can not take responsibility for the progress of the other one.

richard

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Back to the D7. 
chassis mechanically done.

420362C5-CA9A-4DFE-B9EF-0BBF3FA1B834.jpeg.64fd0b1693c6942343c997c77faaa89f.jpeg

I have scraped away the paint off the wheel rims. Some were like this when bulled up and some paint had chipped off and I did not feel like spending years chasing paint scratches. 
F3D4DE53-46D0-4952-AB3F-66D4A8F82D7D.jpeg.c398eb60172e5f98f973c286c0dfb040.jpeg

it might look done to a BR era modeler, but it still needs the wheel centre transfers, whistle and numberplates, ( on order). I write this partly as a reminder to myself as I am sure I would forget the whistle if I did not write this.

I have weighed the loco and it is 86 grams…….don't laugh. I will look to squeeze in some lead under the motor, but do not hold out too much hope of it getting much heavier.

richard 

• Like 5

Questions

looking to cast some springs. Can get the top off casting resin part a but not the part b.

AC4663F1-CE99-4EDA-81CD-20483D781FC7.jpeg.c97ba315cdf229d21a941c9825c89e16.jpeg

I tried asking nicely 

I have even gone up to the adjustable spanner- I really was not giving it a choice. 
still does not move.

anyone any solutions to get into the bottle so it is saved rather than just drilling a hole in the top.

many thanks

richard

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A good reminder to always wipe the threads on the container and in the cap thoroughly clean after pouring out any fast-cast resin "part B", and to then keep the container upright.

Even then, the last traces will go crusty and stick the cap after a few days, but it won't be quite such a battle to remove it. Luckily, the stuff I use comes in plastic containers whose moulded caps have big ridges on them. Very handy when one has to resort to nut-crackers, mole grips or the vice to grip the cap...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Tried all those and the cap is not going anywhere. 

plan C I will look to drill a hole in the lid and then transfer the contents to another jar. My wife is suggesting a glass jar will work. A jam jar? (She is a scientist so is not basing her judgement on random guessing.  Or do I need a metal container?

Richard

• Like 2

I would guess that glass should be OK, but you might need to exclude light, as that might cause some polymerisation. 

Jim 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Richard,

I think you may have slightly squashed the lid oval of your 'part B' with the grips. Try the grips at right angles to where you had them previousley.

(That isn't the lid of 'part A' by any chance.....?)😀

• Like 2

Yes, well done Richard. 

Scratchbuilt GC London Extension buildings that pre-date the Bachmann ones.

Many thanks Keith for the photos.

I'm sorry we forgot the tin until we were about to leave. I'm sure you can get it off to avoid drilling and ending up with metal drillings in the resin. 

• Like 2