Dettingen GCR might have been layout

13 hours ago, richard i said:

If I could print white. Alas most printers do not have it. There is a part of me which wants to get some done for the gcr liveries as a bespoke order from say fox, hoping for others that they then put it in the range. Red white black white red for the boiler bands is probably the hardest to replicate.

richard 

You don't always need to print white, certainly for such as lining it can be there be default, lettering is much more difficult but not entirely impossible with limitations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billbedford said:

I would think about having a green line on the transfer, but that would depend on how well you could match the green colours. 

Yes and that is the issue. Plus what if the green fades over time more than the paint it is trying to match?

richard 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Interested reading the journey on the previous page re: 'easiliners', Posca pens etc. re: lining Don't get me wrong a proper ruling pen and enamel paint is the gold standard (this is my aspiration) but I've achieved acceptable results with a 0.18mm Rotring Isograph.  They do white ink, on the MR carriage below tinted this with yellow calligraphy ink.  Opacity is pretty good.  The black is a combination of Rotring Isograph and Unipin fine line 0.05

MR25Parcels3.jpg.3308ba33b86e4aa684282ed00930f78c.jpg

Look forward to seeing where you get to with transfers - an odyssey I'm about to embark on (but more for customised lettering, crests etc.)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So pen and masking gets this result. 
E73612C3-82EC-4233-BBCD-CB0784F4DE0F.jpeg.87df17fc9ac565d99ba78f6d9baac1da.jpeg
BA767D9B-E941-4FC4-A34E-F6B280C4E3F4.jpeg.dac22df5d0827242ddeeed551d75dcbd.jpeg

it is time consuming and I am not sure how effective it will be as a method for the inside lining on the wheel splashers. 
If I can manage that though it will bring this saga to an end for this loco. 
Thank you for all the advice. Some will be put in the bank for future projects. The Atlantic will not be far behind hopefully.

richard

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 30/10/2023 at 22:13, Citadel said:

Interested reading the journey on the previous page re: 'easiliners', Posca pens etc. re: lining Don't get me wrong a proper ruling pen and enamel paint is the gold standard (this is my aspiration) but I've achieved acceptable results with a 0.18mm Rotring Isograph.  They do white ink, on the MR carriage below tinted this with yellow calligraphy ink.  Opacity is pretty good.  The black is a combination of Rotring Isograph and Unipin fine line 0.05

MR25Parcels3.jpg.3308ba33b86e4aa684282ed00930f78c.jpg

Look forward to seeing where you get to with transfers - an odyssey I'm about to embark on (but more for customised lettering, crests etc.)

Hi,

I was told the Rotring pens work best with the wire removed, certainly when using paint at the correct mixture for lining (as espoused by Ian Rathbone) I found it to be the case. However I haven't had occasion to do any lining for some years but still have all the pens.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Trying to understand this in relation to the Rotring pens I have. What do you mean by the wire?

The wire that sits inside the nib and can be heard when you shake the pen up and down.

If you take it out you essentially get a Bob Moore pen - and once out (except for large diameter pens) you won't get it back in. A one way street.

Edited by meil
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, meil said:

The wire that sits inside the nib and can be heard when you shake the pen up and down.

If you take it out you essentially get a Bob Moore pen - and once out (except for large diameter pens) you won't get it back in. A one way street.

Thanks. Nibs aren't that expensive - around £15 - so worth a shot.

Hello @Compound2632, know you like a good technical drawing:

image.gif.6826ab96239bd62d28be555c703cbe55.gif

It’s a smaller diameter than the end tube, assume regulates flow / primes the nib to a certain extent and also allows you to remove blockages by shaking the pen.  It’s attached to the drop weight.  This is easy to remove but near impossible to thread back into the nib on reassembly, especially on finer pens.  

I’ve never tried a Rotring with paint, given my lack of attention to detail when cleaning am not sure this will end well.  I use Rotring inks (pigmented/aqueous) that seem to cope quite well when I just put the cap back on and leave it on my desk for three months expecting it to still work the next time I need it. 

As discussed over on the Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding thread the ruling pen / enamel paint gives superior results and greater flexibility (colour/line width) but at the expense of a pretty steep learning curve - one where I am still dabbling around in the foothills.  The Rotring is far quicker, an example is when you appealed to my conscience leading to the LNWR underframe being lined earlier this week 🙂

image.jpeg.18cc21d7f96a727d7cb8be5b45de4ff6.jpeg

The effects are sometimes a bit impressionistic but after some light weathering are quite appealing to the naked eye (this is 4mm scale after all).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Am I correct in thinking that the two recently illustrated coaches are O Gauge (if not larger)?  Knowledge of the scale puts the achieved standard of lining "in context".

@Citadel strikes me as very modest about his achievements. They are 4 mm scale. His workbench topic, which to me is a source of not just inspiration but also hope, is here:

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

@Citadel strikes me as very modest about his achievements. They are 4 mm scale. His workbench topic, which to me is a source of not just inspiration but also hope, is here:

Bimey!  In that case they are exceptional, and I owe an apology for my incorrect assumption!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, richard i said:

No where near citadel’s standard but here is all the painted lining done. 
1F598ED4-F885-4DF2-B1CE-0CFE2978EF84.jpeg.1a4e0fc6a37db843402cb0539589d545.jpeg

just the boiler bands crests and side panels on the tender to do. 
this one is much better from a distance, in low light, not wearing my glasses.

richard

Starting to look pretty.  Will it be visiting the NEC next month?

It doesn't look like a ham-fisted construction in the images I've seen so far, and it's surely a major advance over total reliance on RTR stock (as if you even could for a supposed model of the GCR) and over those many, many kits that have been in a maturing pile for decades and are still unlikely to ever be built.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Is it too much to hope that someone going to Warley on the Saturday has off cuts of decent 9mm ply which would allow me to make two pieces both 600mm by 240mm?

I doubt many places would sell me that little and it seems a whole 4’ by 8’ board would be excessive for what I need. 
for the curious, it is to replace this

image.jpg.f5e092b824d77c65eddcf1a16dcc8f92.jpg

which spends half a year in the hatchway of my father’s boat. It has now seen better days/ is falling apart. In fairness it is nearly as old as I am.

richard 

• Friendly/supportive 2