Dettingen GCR might have been layout

One side has the black weathering wash applied. 

D74AD219-8292-4BFA-BC95-515E9B682652.jpeg.00e52d3001233984295550b5cd433cb3.jpeg

I think i will leave it at that to highlight the planking. It also gives a little colour variation in the sides. It is still drying at the moment. Will have to look in the daylight tomorrow to see if that assumption is correct. 

If you have been looking, thanks for popping in. 

Richard 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

23 hours ago, James Harrison said:

That's a fantastic set (and raises the bar should I decide to have a go at the Jidenco etched brass ones I've got). 

Thanks, I have a jidenco one somewhere which will be used as a strengthener as they were also used as. I hope they blend in and do not stand out as coming from very different kits/ bits. 

Richard 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jimwal said:

The weathering looks good Richard. You'll have Monday evenings in the model room now!

Meanwhile we'll track your progress on here.

Hope everything is ok and we look forward to seeing you soon. 

Thanks Jim. You make it sound like I have a large model room, rather than a small desk and a side table in the living room.  I am still in negotiations with the household management over where the layout will finally live. 

Stay well.

richard 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jimwal said:

We've all got more time now, Keith cancelled club night earlier on.

Wot?

Christmas day and sometimes Boxing day would mean no club night or a Tuesday night instead. The Witham club not meeting, even the Princess of Wales funeral day, we cancelled our show but still congregated in the club room.

This is serious.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sensible side of my brain hopes all my mates and their families at the Witham club remain safe and healthy.

Need to be sensible in the short term, for long term benefit. We could morph this into a Monday night club page. 

• Like 2

Now viewing on Monday night!...  (just)

Fred had dropped out having been diagnosed with a lung condition a while ago that made him more susceptible to catching infections. Colin P has a cold and Richard H was not too keen having stopped going to his HMS Belfast meetings.

So Keith informed us the meeting was off.

Edited by jimwal
Added content
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, jimwal said:

Now viewing on Monday night!...  (just)

Fred had dropped out having been diagnosed with a lung condition a while ago that made him more susceptible to catching infections. Colin P has a cold and Richard H was not too keen having stopped going to his HMS Belfast meetings.

So Keith informed us the meeting was off.

A wise precaution. 

1 hour ago, richard i said:

A wise precaution. 

Yes, Clive. Unfortunately we're in unprecedented times.

It was only with great reluctance that it was decided to cancel Monday night. As Jim said, RichadH had stopped going  to the Belfast for that volunteering role. This was because his wife, Pat has Asthma and he didn't want to put her at risk.

On the positive side we at least have a hobby to occupy us while this is going on. 

Cheers

Keith

PS Apologies to RicharI for high jacking his blog. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, richard i said:

Hijack away Keith. 

In other news the Barnums are finished bar the bogies. How long before they become available. 

6AD09129-72F2-4446-A7AD-1F8728763614.jpeg.8b1faa8d458f58786f8bb3454a676582.jpeg

57BF9A01-06F7-4549-B59A-F944DF1216B8.jpeg.54ae5b61802a42af53b5366a5b84abc7.jpeg

For for those who like a change I will move onto other projects in the meantime. 

Richard

Hi Richard, 

The Barnums look great and well worth all the effort that you have put in over he months.

I look forward to seeing them run round the track on a Monday night, whenever that might be - complete with bogies.

Well done!

How about one of these to haul the train? (see below-copied from Tony's blog - hope he doesn't mind!)

Cheers

Keith

1779031131_Screenshot(954).png.4e6c46e2636d0aa98dafd3302e1a58aa.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Hi Richard, 

The Barnums look great and well worth all the effort that you have put in over he months.

I look forward to seeing them run round the track on a Monday night, whenever that might be - complete with bogies.

Well done!

How about one of these to haul the train? (see below-copied from Tony's blog - hope he doesn't mind!)

Cheers

Keith

1779031131_Screenshot(954).png.4e6c46e2636d0aa98dafd3302e1a58aa.png

I have one to build from the same kit. However mine will be in gcr livery. It does look good in lner livery though. I had thought to build it next but as I have about the same number of carriages and locos in gcr livery I think I might need to complete another rake of carriages first. 

Richard

• Like 1

A small change adding the letters. However, it adds balance to the sides. 

11E4499C-25C6-4E28-86F0-CD44F32D113A.jpeg.fdbc3c0472dc7065abf49f9027d7aae5.jpeg

Now to wire between the bogies and this one is done. 

Maybe fit the horns on the roof. It started life without them but got them before 1923. I think a diesel air horn might work but it is not something I have lying around due to more focus on steam. 

This does fulfill the engine build bug and getting passenger stock built. 

Richard 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, richard i said:

A small change adding the letters. However, it adds balance to the sides. 

11E4499C-25C6-4E28-86F0-CD44F32D113A.jpeg.fdbc3c0472dc7065abf49f9027d7aae5.jpeg

Now to wire between the bogies and this one is done. 

Maybe fit the horns on the roof. It started life without them but got them before 1923. I think a diesel air horn might work but it is not something I have lying around due to more focus on steam. 

This does fulfill the engine build bug and getting passenger stock built. 

Richard 

See DMU modelling is fun. You might make a proper one one day. :tomato:

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Does it have the facility for running in multiple, perhaps under control from another vehicle, or is it a PSU?

PSU it is then. It ran with a 6 wheeled coach hanging off the back to increase capacity some times. Other than that, it ran on its own. 

Definately no ability to run in multiples, because it was unique. 

Richard 

• Like 1

Work rate has increased. It has been good to finish off a couple of projects which have been going on for some time. 

The petrol railcar is done.  Just the one passenger today. 

EE83FAFA-8476-4749-8332-28D3F7FB9FB0.jpeg.af2217ccf2440a8b654d65393c3fdc88.jpeg

Also managed to finish this project which has been on and off for what feels like a couple of years now.

B6C6413D-06FF-417D-84AB-DCF20A088E44.jpeg.534095ec3c22db059ec425883524c2dc.jpeg

90D14274-2CCB-48B3-9450-D92ECD9581B0.jpeg.31d2dce545f3006cd5be7186bd5a1440.jpeg

6CA384E4-5730-4178-951F-C3C6729203EC.jpeg.8e74d9114ddaa05dbc3db19b30327cae.jpeg

it would not have been possible without the help of my friend Tony. He showed me how to scratch build a chassis by building this one. He donated the chimney and dome and he took it back in to sort out the running. 

What next to use these skills? 

Richard 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

So many long projects been done so I felt I needed a quick project. This was a collectors Lledo bus found in a second hand shop for a couple of pounds. First thing to go was the box.   Little added apart from glazing, painting and people.  

71D5423B-21F3-44F3-9E6C-FC6770C62111.jpeg.c2fe873a9b50c7925b5ee1c6a357f334.jpeg

247A51E9-F1B7-4CA1-BE89-B25639331FF0.jpeg.1115d047eec19c8af6692ae1a04ad2b7.jpeg

762FDF22-5708-47F6-BAFB-424E18DC69AC.jpeg.60e03bc24de2e12642be14f8b2ff67ef.jpeg

9FC490FA-CEFA-4467-8747-030A26B594D7.jpeg.c357530d3bbf44bff95538e51b15a136.jpeg

the driver is a pilot from a ww2 model who has been in my spares box for a long time. Now he has his moment to shine. 
painting of wheels, body, steps, seats, cab, steering wheel. It is in the colour I think the early buses were in Nottinghamshire. They apparently got some ex London buses to Barton’s.  
I need to change the destination blinds and number plate needs adding then jobs a good un.

richard 

• Like 4

Hi Richard, hope you are ok.

John Cluro had many Barton buses. Though they were 50s/60s period vehicles they all had maroon/crimson wheels.

Spoke to Keith and Fred yesterday, both are fine though Fred's car has died. He's written it off as too expensive to repair.

(Research has not yet determined if coronavirus attacks engine management systems.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jimwal said:

Hi Richard, hope you are ok.

John Cluro had many Barton buses. Though they were 50s/60s period vehicles they all had maroon/crimson wheels.

Spoke to Keith and Fred yesterday, both are fine though Fred's car has died. He's written it off as too expensive to repair.

(Research has not yet determined if coronavirus attacks engine management systems.)

Glad to here people are well. Could his car just be a flat battery if he has not driven it for a while with the isolating he is doing. ( mechanical knowledge reached its limits. ) 

I am sure John could have told me, but then I asked him the outside colour of his signal box and he told me he did not know because he always looked at it from the inside. So maybe not. 
I will assume it has just arrived and is on trial. Otherwise I have a far more substantial paint job on my hands, and I would need to generate Barton transfers.  It was only ever supposed to be a quick project to let me feel like I was having some modeling momentum, that and I now have an era appropriate double decker bus I can put on my bridge. In fairness the only roads I have are on bridges. Just to irk those who get annoyed by it. .............you know who you are. 
Richard.

• Like 1