Dear all.

I am presently looking to commission a manufacturer to produce a model of the F5 class of locomotives, in a bid to raise further funds for the Holden F5 Trust to be able to complete the new-build example of the class.

As there is no ready-to-run model, a whole new tooling would have to be designed. I am asking for anyone with interest in such a model to complete a very quick survey, that is designed to gauge interest in such a model, and which will help see whether the project would be feasible.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YRKGHS3

(I have tried to research as much as I can, but some areas are still sketchy. If anyone has any help, spots any errors etc, please contact me using the email provided on the survey.)

Thanks in advance.

Owen Hayward

Thanks. Price would all depend on interest. If it looks like it'll be a one-off model that never reaches the mass market, it would be pricey and unlikely to happen.

If there is sustainable interest for the manufacturer to add it to their catalogue after a commissioned run, then it could be much cheaper. It's an area of the GER/LNER that is a little short in RTR examples of I feel. Bachmann's 2-4-2 tank was well received so hopefully this would be too.

An interesting project Owen.

I did make a comment on the wish list poll.

There do not seem to be many eastern suburban layouts about.

That makes me question the size of the possible market for such a loco.

I would reckon the F7 might be more popular, being more of a branch line loco and being of more unusual appearance.

I just fear that the F5 might be too ordinary looking to prove popular.

If the Hornby J15 creates a new interest in things eastern the situation could rapidly become more viable.

Poll completed and wishing you every success with the big un and the little un.

Bernard

Thanks for the comments Bernard. You raise some valid points, which is exactly what the purpose of this research is all about. 

Whilst the F7 may be more popular, my initial thinking is that a model of the F5 would help the cause - people will see what the final build will look like and that would hopefully encourage support, whilst also bringing a new model to the market.

That said, if an F7 were to sell better, there's nothing ruling out that being produced instead. I can see where you are coming from, what with Bachmann's 2-4-2 tank being similar but of a different region.

The J15 has been atop wishlists for some years now I believe, so I get the impression Eastern Region definitely has a following. Hopefully, a GER Blue would catch the eye of potential buyers. Given how well the lined green SECR C went, there seems to be interest in these sorts of liveries and models.

I am in the process of obtaining a quote from a manufacturer, which should hopefully help with things - be that positive or negative.

I have been round this loop with the people restoring the North Eastern Autocar.    The quotes they had from a manufacturer were way out of their scope, so they went to Allen Doherty at Worsley Works and had an etched kit produced.  I believe it did quite well for them, but I can put you in touch directly if you wish.

I'd be interested in a kit for an F5 - there is one on the market already, though, from Alan Gibson Workshop.

• RMweb Premium

I was speaking to someone from the society building the replica F5 at the Southend show and apparently members of the class had at least two different cabs. As well as that GER engines could be seen with different braking systems from locomotive only to Westinghouse air brake.

.... It's an area of the GER/LNER that is a little short in RTR examples ...

Just make that 'Whole LNER group shortage' of RTR small engines for secondary/branch operations. As already expressed, here's hoping the J15 flies, and proves there is a large enough potential market for such subjects. There is a problem there though, for this potential purchaser, and I'd bet many others.

Couldn't access the survey, so don't know if I could have made this input there. I'd like to buy an example of every decent RTR pre-group 0-6-0 offered in OO; it is the quintessential UK steam design, and most are very attractive little charmers. However, budget for this hobby is not infinite and faced with a blizzard of offerings specific to my modelling interest I won't be buying the ex LSWR 'black motor' model any time soon. Because taking priority is the imminent C1, D16/3, J15, K1, O2, Thompson coaches, grain hopper, avalanche. Oh, and a second B17 as feedstock for a B2 conversion. A subject like the F5 is marginal for me, in that if there were RTR offerings of ex-GNR C12, J4, J6, K2, the ex-NER B16 family, or other GER types: renewed B12, E4, J17, J19, J20, J67 - 69, N7,  all of these would go ahead of it in the queue

An interesting project Owen.

I did make a comment on the wish list poll.

There do not seem to be many eastern suburban layouts about.

That makes me question the size of the possible market for such a loco.

I would reckon the F7 might be more popular, being more of a branch line loco and being of more unusual appearance.

I just fear that the F5 might be too ordinary looking to prove popular.

If the Hornby J15 creates a new interest in things eastern the situation could rapidly become more viable.

Poll completed and wishing you every success with the big un and the little un.

Bernard

I would question the F7 being a better bet. They didn't last in to BR days and only 12 were built whereas there were 30 F5's.

If a 4mm R-T-R F5 is released I would certainly buy one or two, but what I'm really looking forward to is the real thing running!

Phil

I would question the F7 being a better bet. They didn't last in to BR days and only 12 were built whereas there were 30 F5's.

I did qualify my comment with "might".

It is in areas like this that the wish lists seem to differ from what actually happens.

Ex GER very minor branch lines always seem to have a following while suburban lines tend not to get modelled.

If we relaunched Minories as a layout theme the various GER F series tanks could find a natural home.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Yes, as far as I'm concerned I am interested in an F5 (but certainly not an F7) and have completed the survey indicating an interest in both a blue version and a late crest version.

Indicated an interest in the blue version because I think it will look great but, more importantly, indicated an interest in a Lowestoft-shedded black version as I can remember seeing these on the Lowestoft/Yarmouth shuttles and, as my Grandad was a fitter at Lowestoft shed, he probably worked on all the F5s that were shedded at Lowestoft. In addition I probably saw most of these locos when staying with the grandparents during the summer holidays in the early/mid 1950s.

Reminds me of the time when I got back to school and we were asked what we had done during the holidays. Told the class about a visit to the shed with Grandad telling me about the "vacuum" brake in his Suffolk accent. No the teacher said, it was the "vacuum" brake. No, I says, it was the "vacuum" brake........

Keith

Indicated an interest in the blue version because I think it will look great but, more importantly, indicated an interest in a Lowestoft-shedded black version as I can remember seeing these on the Lowestoft/Yarmouth shuttles and, as my Grandad was a fitter at Lowestoft shed, he probably worked on all the F5s that were shedded at Lowestoft. In addition I probably saw most of these locos when staying with the grandparents during the summer holidays in the early/mid 1950s.

Reminds me of the time when I got back to school and we were asked what we had done during the holidays. Told the class about a visit to the shed with Grandad telling me about the "vacuum" brake in his Suffolk accent. No the teacher said, it was the "vacuum" brake. No, I says, it was the "vacuum" brake........

If it goes ahead, there's a few versions I'm considering. One image I have seen is of 67195 at Lowestoft with a cut-down stovepipe chimney (from its Stratford days) that may be appealing. I just need to find out if it had a pump on at the time, and if so, which size.

There would be a blue one representing the completed new-build; this would take preference over any others though.

I did qualify my comment with "might".

It is in areas like this that the wish lists seem to differ from what actually happens.

Ex GER very minor branch lines always seem to have a following while suburban lines tend not to get modelled.

If we relaunched Minories as a layout theme the various GER F series tanks could find a natural home.

It could perhaps "test the water" for manufacturers for the area. As nice as these big boys are, I do like smaller engines myself.

I also like colour variations!

I've looked at the RMWeb wishlist poll results, and the F4/5/6 are mid-rated in the LNER section. I would hope that a GER Blue would perhaps have a similar result to that of the SECR Lined C - even people who don't model SR region bought one because it looked so nice.

All ambition at the moment, though it's looking more and more hopeful as responses trickle in through the survey.

• 2 weeks later...

He certainly did, he was also another member of the O&DMRC, we had a couple of his F5's ( and J15's) operating on the Ongar layout built in the mid 70's, other notable members were Len Wheal, and Jaz Milham.

The Ongar layout as displayed at the exhibitions in Budworth Hall - with a Burrell traction engine steaming away outside?

Jaz Milham was into TT, if I recall correctly - turning up at GERS meetings with his 120 camera (Pentcon 6?).

I went to school with Stephen Poole's little brother.

Actually I'd prefer an F4, but would still no doubt succumb to the charms of a push-pull fitted F5 (more so if there were also the side window variants or an F6 alternative body).  The F7s were too limited to be of much interest to me.

The Ongar layout as displayed at the exhibitions in Budworth Hall - with a Burrell traction engine steaming away outside?

Jaz Milham was into TT, if I recall correctly - turning up at GERS meetings with his 120 camera (Pentcon 6?).

I went to school with Stephen Poole's little brother.

Yes indeed, the first few shows put on by the Ongar &DMRC were at the Budworth Hall, then moving on to the Ongar Comprehensive School in Shelley ( or Secondary Modern when I went there !!). The traction engine, if my memory serves me right (?) was the 'Duke Of Ongar' which was once one of the Parrish collection, one of about six kept in the barn that once stood behind the old petrol station that used to be in Moreton.

The amusing operation of one of Jaz Milhams TT layouts was the circular one which had 'loco nudgers', that was small solenoid operated arms that came up through the baseboard to nudge locos that stalled on dead-frog turnouts.

Sadly Steve is no longer with us, but it's a small world.

Going back to the pic of the layout, although somewhat blurred, the first operator in the fiddle yard (centre)looks like Dick Yeo of 'Epton'( LT underground + BR, handmade track etc which included complicated crossovers) fame, he now lives not far from here, in Weymouth.

No those are the only ones from the shows (1975 for the traction engine and 1976 for the layout).

Phew - if there had been any more, they may have included embarrassing shots of me!

Phil

Archived