Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Flangeway Mermaid - Painted Samples

Summer_Saturday

Guest Max Stafford

Warley ETA with luck.

Not going to be cheap looking that good, but if you want the good stuff you have to pay for it!

Dave.

It looks really nice - the separate chain adds something.

What's peoples thoughts on the W irons? From the CAD and current photos of the pre-prods it looks like they're the 'open' style rather than the BR standard pattern, as per http://gallery6801.f...t/p9709412.html. It'd be a shame if they are wrong as the rest does look very nice - I'll pop Flangeway an email later on for a clearer photo to clarify the point.

Edit - Just thinking out loud, perhaps the earlier GW ones had the 'open' pattern and the model has been based on those drawings? I'm 150 miles from my books at the moment to check but it's one possibility if they are wrong. I'm not sure how long these examples lasted though in service, I can't believe much past the late 60's?

Pix

Guest Max Stafford

It depends if they entire run was fitted with this type, Pix. Were they all built in a single lot, or is there the possibilty that some variety crept into the construction?

It wouldn't put me off the otherwise excellent model if this feature was wrong, but it won't hurt to contact them about it.

Dave.

Warley ETA with luck.

Not going to be cheap looking that good, but if you want the good stuff you have to pay for it!

Dave.

They were on show at the National Festival last weekend and I think the price indicated was that it will be ??17.95. But as many prices and pictures are in my head from the weekend, please don't take that as gospel. Chap also said would be 3 variants of each (black and dutch) at launch at Warley. Must admit it looked nice to me, but not being an expert on these can't comment on accuracy.

Impressive, and if you've ever tried that particular Cambrian kit, modifying the W irons (a work of moments), is very much the lesser of two evils. This isn't to fault the Cambrian kit especially; the prototype is far from simple and it's taken 20 years - at least - for anyone else to have a second go. Not something I actually need, but it has the temptation factor undoubtedly.

Adam

Pre war build have that type of w-iron http://gallery6801.f...t/p9709437.html, it also has push rod brakes though and not clasp. BR build certainly didn't though sad.gif.

Thanks Craig - I should of had a more thorough look at Paul's site, but tea was in the oven and my belly was overuling my head. I'll fire off an email to Flangeway shortly to highlight the issue, although it shouldn't be too much of an issue to modify the 'open' style if the error is there.

Of course if you fancy testing out your etch design skills...... wink.gif

OMS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZeuPCWnOFc

Pix

Thanks Craig - I should of had a more thorough look at Paul's site, but tea was in the oven and my belly was overuling my head. I'll fire off an email to Flangeway shortly to highlight the issue, although it shouldn't be too much of an issue to modify the 'open' style if the error is there.

Of course if you fancy testing out your etch design skills...... wink.gif

OMS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZeuPCWnOFc

Pix

No problems, it took me a minute to find that one down the bottom, the other DW picture seems to have the later w-irons it its the nearer of the two. I looked between hotel and restaurant over here in Ireland, no cooking this week for me ;).

Actually i've already looked at it while pondering a Cambrian kit and haven't quite thought it through properly yet. Catfish are more important at the moment as I have a picture of two tagged on the back of a coal train coming down to Neath.. LMS 17ft 6" underframe got some work though on the train to the airport!

They have made a good effort on a difficult prototype though as Adam says, its certainly up there with the hopper wagons for kit building!

I've just had a reply from Flangeway stating the model will be released as shown in the photos - the W iron issue is a minor niggle but as stated above, it's nothing that can't be sorted out with a little work. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a couple to play with.

Catfish are more important at the moment as I have a picture of two tagged on the back of a coal train coming down to Neath.. LMS 17ft 6" underframe got some work though on the train to the airport!

I look forward to them both wink.gif I might have a bit of a trade-off to offer you if you're interested, I'll be in touch off board.

OMS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sWuaacyD-Q

Pix

• RMweb Gold

I've just had a reply from Flangeway stating the model will be released as shown in the photos - the W iron issue is a minor niggle but as stated above, it's nothing that can't be sorted out with a little work. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a couple to play with.

I look forward to them both wink.gif I might have a bit of a trade-off to offer you if you're interested, I'll be in touch off board.

OMS - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9sWuaacyD-Q

Pix

Does sound a little disappointing that they havent done it right (at least not for the ones I would be buying) Has got me thinking about the Cambrian kit again, maybe using the Cambrian body on a sprung etched chassis.......

Dear all

Sorry I am missing these PROTOTYPE discussions when they are in another area of the new RMWEB.

Yes, they have screwed up. These wagons had open W irons and 1 brake per wheel in the GWR version - http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p9709437.html

Then BR brought in many more. These were also unfitted with 1 brake per wheel but had a solid W iron http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p9709395.html

Later still they brought in a design with clasp vacuum brake http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p9709430.html

Then to confuse the modeller the earlier BR unfitted wagons were retrospectively vacuum braked with clasp brake, done at Horwich works in 1980 as this new convert http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p9709398.html

I hope they alter the W-irons, and realise the model is only suitable for those built 1959 onwards.

Paul

Hmmmm.... Maybe this is something they should make very clear then - the date/build suitability I mean.

Do these people ever bother to contact people such as your self Mr B.??? Daft really!

Very annoying for some then as they look pretty nice beasties..

I'm looking at 1974-ish so its pennies ready in pie-country then :lol:

Hmmmm.... Maybe this is something they should make very clear then - the date/build suitability I mean.

I'm fairly certain that I'm right in saying that at present the combination of the clasp brake gear and 'open' W-irons shown on the sample are combination which just didn't exist (unless any of the GW-built ones recieved clasp brakes later, although I'd of thought they'd of been withdrawn by then). The easiest mod to make them correct would be to convert the W-irons to the later BR style - I guess a little etch could be done, although it's probably over engineering an issue which could be sorted with a bit of filler and a twist drill.

I've pasted a copy of the reply I got from Flangeway below. I must admit I was thrown a little by the first comment as I really wasn't looking to pick holes but offer some constructive critism, but I guess the 1952 drawing used may contain the error?

'when you do a wagon you will never get it spot on ,but this model was scanned from a 1952 set of br drawings there are 11 different mermaids to choose from , but thanks for your coments ... Derek'

Regardless of this small issue, I'm really looking forward to getting a few to play with. I wonder if any recieved Gul Red...

Pix

I'm fairly certain that I'm right in saying that at present the combination of the clasp brake gear and 'open' W-irons shown on the sample are combination which just didn't exist (unless any of the GW-built ones recieved clasp brakes later, although I'd of thought they'd of been withdrawn by then). The easiest mod to make them correct would be to convert the W-irons to the later BR style - I guess a little etch could be done, although it's probably over engineering an issue which could be sorted with a bit of filler and a twist drill.

I've pasted a copy of the reply I got from Flangeway below. I must admit I was thrown a little by the first comment as I really wasn't looking to pick holes but offer some constructive critism, but I guess the 1952 drawing used may contain the error?

'when you do a wagon you will never get it spot on ,but this model was scanned from a 1952 set of br drawings there are 11 different mermaids to choose from , but thanks for your coments ... Derek'

Regardless of this small issue, I'm really looking forward to getting a few to play with. I wonder if any recieved Gul Red...

Pix

Pix, thanks. I wonder what the 11 mermaids are that they refer to? And yes they could have been more courteous (to answer iak, yes Bachmann and Heljan do ask). As to Gulf red, yes there are traces of Gulf red on some of the VB wagons in my collection - they were introduced at the period when this was being used. The one I referred to earlier at Chester is, I believe, in the remains of Gulf red.

Paul

Paul

Gulf red??? Chester??? = Dribble :icon_biggrin:

I think the one at Guide Bridge also retains Gulf red. http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p9709418.html

In my article Bartlett, Paul W. (1992d) Gulf red - a nearly forgotten BR livery. Modellers' Backtrack vol. 2 (part 4) pp 184 - 188 I mention that the building period for lot 3330 and 3348 would suggest that most, if not all, would have been finished in Gulf red when new.

Paul

York

Pix

Yes well, don't look too soon, those are longer term as they are much more complex than the stuff i've done so far. Im sure i'll be interested...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody got details or even a photo or knows of a photo in a book showing the consist of a "Merdog" ballast train on the Southern please ? It's realy just to get an idea of the relative positioning of the two different types of wagon - I'm guessing grouped by type but would be delighted to it's Dogfish / Mermaid / Dogfish / Mermaid and so on.....

Phew - long week of nights mending the real railway - might go to the NRM today for a fix :D

Ta

Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody got details or even a photo or knows of a photo in a book showing the consist of a "Merdog" ballast train on the Southern please ? It's realy just to get an idea of the relative positioning of the two different types of wagon - I'm guessing grouped by type but would be delighted to it's Dogfish / Mermaid / Dogfish / Mermaid and so on.....

Phew - long week of nights mending the real railway - might go to the NRM today for a fix :D

Ta

Southernman46

I'm sure i've read this in one of my wagon books but don't recall the answer. I'd be interested in the answer too.

post-6675-12579302753337_thumb.jpg