Wi-Fi

Surprised no one has mentioned EC and the 10 minutes free in standard (Free in first) but the quality of service has always been poor in my opinion and when I was commuting I gave up in the end as the frustration levels were too much compared with he Qos. I was easier to use mobile as hotspot with a secure vpn to work.

• RMweb Gold

Surprised no one has mentioned EC and the 10 minutes free in standard (Free in first) but the quality of service has always been poor in my opinion and when I was commuting I gave up in the end as the frustration levels were too much compared with he Qos. I was easier to use mobile as hotspot with a secure vpn to work.

Its often taken the free time to laod a page so I just stick to my mobile data when on East Coast

• RMweb Premium

Used the free WiFi on ScotRail last year and it wasn't worth the bother really. Got logged in no bother but after first couple of pages, it was either painfully slow to load or kept taking you back to the WiFi home screen.

Pity really, as they had a useful live tracker which showed you where the train was on a Google map

• 3 weeks later...

Wifi is fitted to all the Scotrail 170's, 380's and is specc'd for all the new stock coming on stream. As has been mentioned you can also get wifi at all the major stations and a few of the smaller ones too, quality on the whole is pretty good for something that is free to all. As has been mentioned, EC has free wifi in first, the only black spots seem to be from Portlethen to around Carmont, then a section between Stonehaven and Montrose.

• RMweb Premium

EC wifi is 15 minutes free in Standard Class although in times of bad disruption I have seen it upped to 4 hours. In First Class it is free for the duration of the journey. It uses the device MAC code for id purposes.

I find it so poor, it can take 15 minutes to load one web page, that I now use my data allowance on my phone (my package gives me 10Gb/month) for browsing whilst on the train.

EC wifi is 15 minutes free in Standard Class although in times of bad disruption I have seen it upped to 4 hours. In First Class it is free for the duration of the journey. It uses the device MAC code for id purposes.

I find it so poor, it can take 15 minutes to load one web page, that I now use my data allowance on my phone (my package gives me 10Gb/month) for browsing whilst on the train.

Must be a regional thing then, as I use EC between Edinburgh and Aberdeen extensively and in terms of speed and reliability I'd rate it as very good.

I think all the reasons discussed above are a contributing factor to the download speed of internet on trains. How many devices are connected, location etc. Also if the provider is from the mobile network local loading on the network will effect it aswell.

Also how expectant are we on fast download speeds these days for mobile internet brought on by having pretty good access on wifi at home using a land line.

Archived