Wi-Fi

I think that the UK operators should take a leaf out of Irish rail.

This was posted whilst sat in a train with free WiFi heading for Westport

Unlike certain operator I travel using at home there is no time limit.

I couldn't help but smile recently - SWMBO and I were driving along the M11, following a National Express bus. Rather than use up data on our mobile phone tariff, she connected to the Natioanl Express wifi and used that! :-)

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Similarly chiltern, free wifi on there too, and on the stations, EMT is the same on the stations (not sure about on board) which can be annoying if you dont want to be connected to it and your device picks up the cloud

Another handy tip, on virgin voyagers and pendolinos sit in the coach next to first class and you pick up the free 1st class wi-fi!!

• RMweb Gold

Many London underground stations have wifi, free for those who have accounts with certain broadband / mobile providers.

Southern did have wifi on a number of its trains but now removed.

Virgin West Coast charge for wifi in standard class but free in first class

Ditto for Cross Country

Amtrak over the pond has free wifi on many of its trains.

VIA Rail also has wifi on many of its Montreal - Ottawa  - Toronto  - WIndsor corridor trains

I think that the UK operators should take a leaf out of Irish rail.

This was posted whilst sat in a train with free WiFi heading for Westport

Unlike certain operator I travel using at home there is no time limit.

Halloo Mr AMJ.

ThankYoo for using Free Unsecured WiFy on Irish Trains.

I am very High Up Official in Nigeria, and just need Your Bank Account Details to complete Money Transfers....

Similarly chiltern, free wifi on there too, and on the stations, EMT is the same on the stations (not sure about on board) which can be annoying if you dont want to be connected to it and your device picks up the cloud

Another handy tip, on virgin voyagers and pendolinos sit in the coach next to first class and you pick up the free 1st class wi-fi!!

EMT has wi-fi on HSTs and Meridians which is chargeable in Standard and free in First.  They've allegedly improved it recently.  Most medium and large EMT stations have free "Cloud", which I actually find is handy as station stops are sometimes long enough to fire off a quick email. 

Last time I used it Coach D in Virgin Voyagers was a sort of unclassified coach with seating of an intermediate grade.  If this is designated as Standard it still seems to have free wi-fi. 

• RMweb Premium

What technology do they use to connect the trains to the Internet?

I believe that they use mobile phone technology. Would certainly explain why the net is a little hit and miss the further west you get.

• RMweb Premium

What technology do they use to connect the trains to the Internet?

Depends on the operator. GNER (as was) installed a satellite based system on their trains. If you look at the Mk4 DVT it has a big grey dome over the cab which has the gubbins in it. On the HSTs the dome is on the buffet car.

Virgin installed a series of masts along the trackside to operate their Wifi. Based on mobile internet tech, but exclusive to them. At first I think it was only available South of Crewe as the masts took a while to build.

Some of the new systems being rolled out use the regular national 3/4G systems. Much cheaper to install.

With OHE, I don't understand why they can't put the signal through the cabling. It's not as though the technology is difficult to sort out, and there's good Wi-Fi signal wherever the train is.

Phil

With OHE, I don't understand why they can't put the signal through the cabling. It's not as though the technology is difficult to sort out, and there's good Wi-Fi signal wherever the train is.

Phil

I know people get internet through the mains, but the filtering to insert the signal at 25kV would be a bit more hefty than it is for 240V. You'd probably also find it doesn't propgate very far so numerous repeaters would be needed. 

Thanks for the millions paid into my bank account!

If you have seen my post in railway of Asia about Sri Lanka. In two of the highest classes there is complementary Wi-Fi, but it only seemed to work when the train was not in the hills.

The Thalys also have a dome on one of the Cars.

Archived