Nottingham Model Railway Exhibition 21st - 22nd March 2015

doctor quinn

Sorry about quoting the gauge wrong on Crown Street - we always seem to get it wrong on one of the layouts! We need a more reliable proof reader.

Yes, Shawplan should be there, my mistake to miss them out. They are in the sports hall, stand 76, in a slightly different place to last year, still beside Cheltenham Models, but on the other side.

3D printing might be considered an innovation, but resin casting has been used as a technique by modellers for many years now - including a number of NMRS members (GWC1 included). Hard to believe it is now 29 years since I first had a go with it, resulting in my Class 314 Strathclyde unit and eventually leading to the sliding door Class 508. However, it is relatively unusual to see it demonstrated live at a show, though it seems to be a more or less permanent feature at St Albans.

Wouldn't have wanted to do a demo with the rather pungent polyester resins used back then!

Perhaps Andy Edgeson would be amenable to 3D printing a few things I need during the show...

Woodsville all ready to go.  We may be taking a couple of instruments seeing as how we're in the Music Room.  Informal jam session anyone?

(NB - the only instrument I can play is a telephone)

Make yourself known to us on the day.

post-807-0-86357900-1426768800_thumb.jpg

LATE NEWS - Branchlines have had to pull out this morning as Brian and his assistant have the flu. We are sorry to disappoint visitors who expected to see them, but I am sure we all send Brian and his assistant best wishes to get well soon.

LATE NEWS - Branchlines have had to pull out this morning as Brian and his assistant have the flu. We are sorry to disappoint visitors who expected to see them, but I am sure we all send Brian and his assistant best wishes to get well soon.

That's a shame as I was hoping to pick up a few bits and pieces from them, but health obviously takes priority and I hope they're both feeling better soon.

Time to load the show stuff in the car and set off to start preparing the show. Using a school means that we have to first move all the desks and chairs out of the way to convert classrooms to show space, and of course we have to put it all back on Sunday night, ready for Monday's lessons. At least the halls and circulation spaces don't have desks in them, so that makes it easier. We have additional space in use this year to fit all the big layouts and demos in. We have site maps available for visitors to find all these spaces!

See you there!

That's day one done - a great show, even if I say so myself (as I would do!). One thing I noticed is that we have not had many entries for the competition to win a private guided tour of Etches Park depot, so it's worth buying a guide to enter tomorrow - the odds are in your favour!

That's day one done - a great show, even if I say so myself (as I would do!). One thing I noticed is that we have not had many entries for the competition to win a private guided tour of Etches Park depot, so it's worth buying a guide to enter tomorrow - the odds are in your favour!

Thoroughly enjoyed the show, managed to get over for an hour or so before work. Some really good layouts and even spent some money with a couple of traders.

Afraid I was guilty of not entering the competition, but spent long enough on there at the beginning of my career taking trains on or off the Park to last me a lifetime...

Hope tomorrow is as busy as it was today, the car park was rather full when I arrived.

Cheers,

Andrew

Went to this show yesterday afternoon with a good range of both layouts and traders.

I must have walked miles round the school venue trying to see everything as it all was in loads of different halls and classrooms and I nearly got myself lost! One of the downsides of the venue was when I was in the sports hall and the first thing I noticed was the very poor dull lighting. I know this is not the fault of the exhibition organisers, but not even some of the layouts in that room had their own lighting to make it a little better.

Sam

Thanks to everyone who visited the show. We were really disappointed with the lights in the sports hall. We had asked the school to get them fixed after last year, when about 1/4 of them were not working. This year there was around 50% not working and we will be taking this up with the school.

We will now take stock of this year and what options are available for next year. Keep watching our website for more news as we get it.

Yes a pretty good show I thought.  Will you be back in the Harvey Hadden next year?  Seems to have taken an inordinate time to do whatever they are doing to it! 

If you're still using the sports hall next year might it be a good idea to plan that only layouts with their own lighting go in there?  Even if it is all working I don't think it's particularly suitable for illuminating layouts. 

Minor gripe - why does the programme list layouts alphabetically instead of in the more sensible numerical order, which could be the same order most people will go round?  I was trying to find the entry for "Crown Street" (as it was identified by a large nameplate on the fascia) and eventually discovered it under "Liverpool Crown Street" after I got home.  Fascinating layout though! 

• RMweb Premium

Just nicely got home and put various bits of Green Ayre into the church and the other bits into the clubroom and dropped the van back.  Dave and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and actually got a lot of modelling done.   We would like to give a big thanks to Graham and his team for the exellent way we were looked after and especially the Ladies of the exhibitors catering team who excelled themselves.

It was good to meet so many people,even if some of them were lost and had found us by accident,  and we had many nice comments about the layout.  So even though I ache in more places than I did on Friday it was well worth it.

Jamie

Thanks to everyone who visited the show. We were really disappointed with the lights in the sports hall. We had asked the school to get them fixed after last year, when about 1/4 of them were not working. This year there was around 50% not working and we will be taking this up with the school.

We will now take stock of this year and what options are available for next year. Keep watching our website for more news as we get it.

For me, the lighting in the sports hall was a big problem, as my eyesight is not very good. I only made one purchase, whereas I had intended to make many more. If others experienced the same problem, the traders may have been down on their takings. How on earth students can play sports in there heaven only knows!

We would like to give a big thanks to Graham and his team for the exellent way we were looked after and especially the Ladies of the exhibitors catering team who excelled themselves.

Second that. Whatever the shortcomings of the current venue, can't fault the welcome and hospitality of the show team and the catering crew.

post-16151-0-93506400-1427102135_thumb.jpg

Quick pic of where we were as we were about to dismantle (with Green Ayre in the background). Folks seem to find this part of the show in 'waves'; we would be surrounded for 10 minutes or so then it would go eerily quiet!

We experimented with LED strip lighting behind the name board and I thought this was quite successful so will be looking to develop this. Looking forward to returning in 2016 with the full layout (and full range of stock) - and we will be lit, wherever the venue / location is!

The first port of call for me was Crown Street to make the special delivery that Michael Delamar has mentioned.  For me the highlight of that layout is the urban clearance with only the pub left standing and nearly all the rubble cleared away - well observed, well executed.

Trips to some of the enclaves ensued.  Pixie was holding court in the 2mmFS room with two partly completed Blue Pullmans. Keep it up, chaps: we rely on the 2mm boffins to solve all the problems that are too hard for some of us who prefer larger scales.  The Scalefour Society's presence was in the labyrinth behind the stage where Green Street, on only its fourth outing, impressed with the rotary tippler and the fly-shunting of exceptionally free running wagons, aided by a touch of gravity, which attracted much interest.  One young lad was sufficiently captivated to ask questions such as "What is a light engine" and seemed to have grasped the finer points of the control panel rather more quickly than the duty operator.

The EM room was full of activity.  I had the pleasure of admiring Vincent Worthington's coaches for Camden Bank, including an Oerlikon set in brass which I understand is a London Road etch with chassis and power by Vincent.  Sadly I missed the chance to admire the selection of Buckingham power at Tony Gee's table for when I returned to the room later neither he nor the models were to be seen.  Oh bother.  

Elsewhere it was good to see Tinsley South again with its Woodhead style knitting and that rarely modelled feature of a hybrid dmu - by which I mean 108 power car and 101 trailer, not Bachmann and Lima as the operator thought I meant!  Gresten, the Austrian themed layout, caught my eye: it was clear at once exactly where it was meant to be and is delightfully uncluttered.  It depicts a branch off the Mariazellerbahn, which I have visited but alas not recently.

Trade support, I thought, was well balanced.  I found the miscellaneous bits'n'pieces that I wanted with no trouble.  Of the catering, I sampled the tea which came with smiling faces. was made for me and was reasonably priced at 80p - unlike one recent show where the opportunity to make my own tea with the aid of a temperamental water-dispensing machine cost me £1.40.  The grub looked good value but I had some cold meat to use up so made my own sarnies.

Chris 

Archived