PRA Wagon Drawings

• 2 years later...
Guest eddie reffin

Apologies for resurrecting this thread.

I have a copy of the drawing for these wagons but I've never scratch built a wagon before. Would there be a suitable kit that could be used to at least for the chassis? The main parts of the body don't look too bad and the end platforms could be reasonably recreated.

Cheers

Eddie

Eddie

I looked into it once upon a time.

When you break it down, chassis, simple body, top cover and ends/handrails, it should be doable. Needs an etch designed though

This and the Alumina PAA/PAB have always been a bit of a sticking point for WHL freight.

Mark

Guest eddie reffin

Eddie

I looked into it once upon a time.

When you break it down, chassis, simple body, top cover and ends/handrails, it should be doable. Needs an etch designed though

This and the Alumina PAA/PAB have always been a bit of a sticking point for WHL freight.

Mark

Mark,

Yeah they really were signature wagons for the WHL, especially in the period I am modelling (1985/86) Once I get the Inverness show out the road, I'll probably take a bit more time and see what I can knock up.

Eddie

• Like 1

I'd got as far as chopping up some old Hornby TTA chassis and cutting out 3mm plasticard to make the basic 'box' body. I've recently been working on various QCAD etch artwork drawings for the end platforms/etc but progress is slow... 

Guest eddie reffin

Thanks for that email Phil. I am unable to reply from that account-don't know why, think it's a BT thing!

Have been able to download it ok though so gives me a bit more impetus to give it a go.

Was there ever a kit of the PVV that could be used to start with? Interesting idea about using old TTA chassis as a starting point as they are cheap and easy to come by

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that email Phil. I am unable to reply from that account-don't know why, think it's a BT thing!

Have been able to download it ok though so gives me a bit more impetus to give it a go.

Was there ever a kit of the PVV that could be used to start with? Interesting idea about using old TTA chassis as a starting point as they are cheap and easy to come by

Cheers

Hi Eddie,

Glad you got the info etc...

No - there has not been a model of the BCC Pallet Vans either as a kit or RTR.

In N - the nearest is the Peco pallet van which is short by about 6mm if I remember correctly.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I'd got as far as chopping up some old Hornby TTA chassis and cutting out 3mm plasticard to make the basic 'box' body. I've recently been working on various QCAD etch artwork drawings for the end platforms/etc but progress is slow... 

Hi John,

Interesting to here about the use of the TTA chassis.

I will have to stick one up against the drawings for a look see!

Thanks

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Some time ago I did some work on these with a view to getting one of the kit makers interested.

Eddie - I'll send a copy direct to you.

Mark - copied in for info.

Thanks

Hi Phil

The discussion thread has gone quiet hence my resurrection. I would love to get my hands on 3 or 4 00 gauge PRA's for my WHL layout hence I am wondering if your efforts to get kit makers interested in PRA's resulted in any sort of progress?

regards Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

The discussion thread has gone quiet hence my resurrection. I would love to get my hands on 3 or 4 00 gauge PRA's for my WHL layout hence I am wondering if your efforts to get kit makers interested in PRA's resulted in any sort of progress?

regards Rob

Hi Rob,

No take up by the kitmakers I'm sorry to report.

I've explored a couple of other options s well - still waiting to see if a positive outcome is the result.

That's why it's gone no further from my side. - a waiting game it seems!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

No take up by the kitmakers I'm sorry to report.

I've explored a couple of other options s well - still waiting to see if a positive outcome is the result.

That's why it's gone no further from my side. - a waiting game it seems!

Thanks

Thanks Phil

According to Paul Bartlett's website, only 14 were made so I guess it is hard to persuade manufacturers or kitmakers that there is a potential market. I had hoped that with an rising number of increasingly obscure rolling stock being produced, that someone would have seen the potential in a PRA. 

regards Rob

• RMweb Gold

There is plenty scope within the chassis that the PRA sits on as they were original the APCM BV/PVV's vans and later became scrap carriers for Allied Steel and Wire traffic!

Mark Saunders

Hi Mark

So I understand, there are also drawings of the PRA that could be used either by a kitmaker or a scratch builder. Being ignorant of the original PVV van, I wonder if any manufacturer produces them?

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

So I understand, there are also drawings of the PRA that could be used either by a kitmaker or a scratch builder. Being ignorant of the original PVV van, I wonder if any manufacturer produces them?

Rob

Hi Rob,

Join DEMU to access the magazinearchive online and you will find drawings.

In the meantime...

Here's something I did a while ago....

APCM_Pallet_Vans.pdf

Hi Mark

Rob

There is a drawing published of the PRA but is based on photographs and diagrams. It is in "Modelling the British Rail era" by Flemming, Flint, Gibbons & Taylor; ISBN 0 9507960 8 5

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Phil, Mark

Thanks for your comments, what I meant to ask was does any manufacturer make a PVV?. I think the answer is no but I would like to be clear. 

If Phil has not persuaded Kitmakers to consider a PRA with his impressive 'reasons to' document then there seems little likelihood of this niche wagon being anything other than a custom built one. For me scratch building a PRA is way down my priority list at present (and even lower down my capability list!).  

regards Rob