OO gauge Holden F5 2-4-2T loco proposal

DJM Dave

GER suburban stock as rtr - what would be the 'best' stock to manufacture, that would have good sales? Is there an obvious choice?

John Storey

There were various types of 6-wheel stock built by the GER and then, as with the GN Howlden stock, a time when pairs of old bodies were mounted on 54' underframes, but the most likely might be the 54' 'Ilford' stock - high capacity suburban sets used as far out as Shenfield (and possibly for Southend workings) and lasting well into the LNER period.

• Like 1

I get the feeling it's not going to happen. At all.

And thus also ends any hopes of a RTR F4/F5/F6 engine I suspect as well.

Especially has flipping Oxford Rail has gone for the N7. I Knew the N7 would have more of a chance after the wish list but I was hoping not. Now with at least one GER passenger tank now in production and also plenty of other GER designs from Horny (and maybe Model Rail), No other manufacture will touch the F4/F5/F6s with a barge pole now if there already been an failed attempt. So this 'proposal' just made certain it never happen.

Thanks a bunch for that. I mean why did Crown Funding not be an option? And why did the F5 engine people back out of it? Did they think it provided too much publicity to it? Considering it at the moment a load of plate steel and a cylinder block and it was meant to be finished in 2012 originally?

Now I either try build a F6 which would be difficult considering I rubbish with a scolding Iron and I only having about 50% success rate with my Plastic Kit Wagons, and can't seem to find time to finish my ballasting. Or just buy a second Hornby J15 for less outlay then the parts for an F6 would cost. Or just sell everything I had for an East Anglian  and just concentrate on my Western/Southern stuff.

I know I going to get a load of flack for this and it possibly justified. But since the Oxford plans came to light I been getting cross about it ever since.

I get the feeling it's not going to happen. At all.

And thus also ends any hopes of a RTR F4/F5/F6 engine I suspect as well.

Especially has flipping Oxford Rail has gone for the N7. I Knew the N7 would have more of a chance after the wish list but I was hoping not. Now with at least one GER passenger tank now in production and also plenty of other GER designs from Horny (and maybe Model Rail), No other manufacture will touch the F4/F5/F6s with a barge pole now if there already been an failed attempt. So this 'proposal' just made certain it never happen.

Don't get too despondent - there's a clear demand for GE-based locomotives and stock and Bachmann has already produced the L&Y 2-4-2T which does exhibit a similar overall appearance.

And let's face it - there have been multiple concurrent offerings for the same locomotive - the Adams Radial springs to mind as does the Class 71.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann 'might' have done the F5/F6 if they continued with their plans for a J15 but as we all aware they grozumpted by Hornby. I doubt they do anything GER now after that one...

If Bachmann "fear to tread" on the basis that Hornby have produced two ex-GER locos, and you extrapolate that to other railways/regions (the same thing allegedly happened with the Maunsell S15 and the Adams Radial), will they ever make anything new again? 

Hornby have announced a new Duchess, does that put the entire LMS "off limits" for Bachmann? I think not.

I note that Oxford Rail aren't being squeamish about the origins of their next offering, which a lot of us were surprised not to see in Hornby's 2017 announcements. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Bachmann 'might' have done the F5/F6 if they continued with their plans for a J15 but as we all aware they grozumpted by Hornby. I doubt they do anything GER now after that one...

Aaahhh, but the problem is, if they did, how many of us will be alive to buy it??

Cynical.. moi?

From Oz,

Peter C.

Aaahhh, but the problem is, if they did, how many of us will be alive to buy it??

Cynical.. moi?

From Oz,

Peter C.

Well i think you have a point there. If Bachmann had done the J15 it probably wouldn't have be ready even by now... Edited by ady77014

In a fairly short period of time the modeler of the East Anglian steam era has gained the B17/1,2,3,4 and 6, D16/3, J15 and B12/3 as well as new B1, K1, K3, Gresley and Thompson Non-vestibule coaches and a few other things that were more general to the LNER and BR-ER.

Add to this the new Oxford N7/GE + other as yet unannounced varients and the Rapido/Model Rail J70.

To my mind that leaves the J67-69 as the standout gap, with the E4 being a likelihood from Hornby due to similarities (tender etc) to the J15.

By the time those are are done I expect there will be several people taking advantage of all these models to build East Anglian layouts and if the demand is high enough I would expect the F4/5 and J17 to be considered also hopefully some GER coaches. Beyond those there are various other applicable locos J19/20, Thompson B2 that I doubt will appear RTR but some eg K2, C12 that may due to broader usage.  

I think it was always going to be likely that the N7 appeared before the F5 but I don't think the N7 precludes the F5 from being built, nor do I think that a previous proposal is likely to prevent a manufacturer from making an F5 model. I think it would be a good model for Bachmann to break into the ex-GER lines market, my thinking being that Hornby are more likely to duplicate an N7.

Things may of course turn out quite differently but in the mean time if you have trouble with brass kits perhaps a 3d printed F4/5/6 is the way to go.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cdcmodels

Things may of course turn out quite differently but in the mean time if you have trouble with brass kits perhaps a 3d printed F4/5/6 is the way to go.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cdcmodels

It wasn't with a brass kit I went wrong with. I was trying to improve a old Triang L1 but the motor burnt out. while changing it over a wire broke off so I went to solder it back in.

And somehow the chassis melted...

I have seen the 3D printed F6 thanks to Nile's Kitbuild challenge entry which I have bookmarked for possible future needs (if I ever able to take the plunge)...

Edited by ady77014

• 1 year later...
  • AY Mod locked this topic