Early 60s Cambrian freight

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

In the interests of keeping the DMU thread on topic have started a new one to answer this question

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93645-western-region-dmus/page-2

Brian W suggested 75xxx or 22xx

To that list we can add a Manor

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125589658@N08/14289019860/in/photolist-nLEXMo-nGadph-npGtTM-npGnrm-nGbKMX-npG7rE-nHY5QP-nE9E3h-nGaLCq-nGci56-nGaRPY-nGchFk-npGCiU-nFUhgH-nFUhAv-nE9yiw-npGSGL-feHiHg-daZcaJ-nHYApP-npGSZQ-nE9z1J-nFUkW8-nFZzNs-nFUhJM-nHYHpk-npGV96-npGQUC-nHYGu4-nE9xhJ-nFZA61-nFUnG2-npGRi3-nGcfxH-npGXgT-nGaHu1-npGx9A-npGP29-nGaNnN-npGzZB-nFUggg-npGSKi-npGwWG-npGZ7X-npGAFr-npGMs7-nGc9Va-npH1sn-nFZF97-nGcbov

Although the caption is a few miles out - that's Machynlleth rather than Aberystwyth

I think its fair to say that the Standards became more common as the 22xx and Manors declined - although Manors were still active until 1965

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

3MT less common on freight but given the nature of Cambrian diagrams any of the main line locos were likely to appear on passenger or freight. The standards increased as ex WR locos decreased

Currently correct and available Cambrian locos are

Ivatt 2mt 2-6-0: http://www.ehattons.com/52596/Bachmann_Branchline_32_828A_Class_2MT_Ivatt_2_6_0_46526_in_BR_lined_green_late_crest_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

Doesn't seem to be much else Cambrian around at the moment unfortunately. Have you thought about second hand?

Phil

I have, Phil, yes, but given my location, British model railway is hard to come by second hand. There's plenty of Marklin, but european stuff doesn't interest me at all. Frankly i find the locos to be quite unattractive :P

i was going for a 2MT actually, although for a small passenger train. I'll keep sniffing around for any pictures, or other evidence, of Cambrian freight trains. It doesn't have to be big, as my layout will most likely be 6x4 (ish). Could i get away with a 42xx/5205 2-8-0, or a 64xx/6412 0-6-0?

//eddy

• RMweb Gold

Admire your taste in locos Eddy!

Definitely not a 42xx - too heavy

64xx were autofitted and I don't recall seeing any pictures of them on the Cambrian but their non fitted cousins 74xx were certainly around - heres Aberystwyth's pet 7428 which still bore the magical GWR as late as the 1960s

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p687266031/h36858BAD#h36858bad

You might find http://www.railuk.info/steam/getshed.php?id=654useful to trawl for what was around and oh look Oswestry did have a 64xx - 6404

Kind regards

Phil

From 1960 to the end of steam we always had our annual family holiday on the Cambrian. As Phil said most loco types could be seen equally hauling freight or passenger although Manors weren't used on freight much until nearer the end.  The line was a blue route in the 60's so the heaviest locos were the 78xx and 75xxx. During the 1961-3  period (my favourite) you would see 2251's, 55xx, Moguls and Manors with 465xx and 78xxx nearly always in lined green. At Barmouth 74xx could be seen on the Dolgelly trains but no other panniers for some reason. At first the LMR takeover had little effect but the 55xx disappeared first followed by the 2251's and then the 53/63xx. The standard 4 tanks from the LT&S seemed to replace the 82xxx and at the end even 76xxx made an appearance. Rex Kennedy's book 'Steam on the Cambrian' is a useful source of reference as is a similarly named Ian Allan colour album. I still have my notebooks from the time so can give you specific loco numbers but it'd have to wait 'til I get back from holiday. Best of luck with your project.

Ray.

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/CambrianCoastLines/i-gT4RJCw

Oh joy :) found this site today. Perhaps you're on one of these trains, Ray? ;) Thanks for sharing your memories. Most helpful, and very informative. As far as i can recall, i only ever got to travel between Shrewsbury and Gobowen, Oswestry having been closed for years. The site posted above and information like Ray's will make it so much easier to make a decent authentic layout!

//eddy

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/CambrianCoastLines/i-gT4RJCw

Oh joy :) found this site today. Perhaps you're on one of these trains, Ray? ;) Thanks for sharing your memories. Most helpful, and very informative. As far as i can recall, i only ever got to travel between Shrewsbury and Gobowen, Oswestry having been closed for years. The site posted above and information like Ray's will make it so much easier to make a decent authentic layout!

//eddy

Hi Eddy, pleased that you found my site and that the photos may be of some help to you in your project!

I was going to post a reply on this topic with a few links to photos yesterday evening, but in the event was too tired to do so...

Incidentally, the link you have posted takes you to the second page of thumbnails, the link below should take you to the start of the gallery:

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/CambrianCoastLines

I do have quite a lot more shots and hope to add some more in the near future, as time permits.

Cheers, Geoff

Wow! Absolutely brilliant :D Thanks for the link, Geoff. Although i mean to start with Era V trains, this has inspired me! There will eventually be as much Cambrian stuff as i can lay my sticky mitts on whizzing around my layout, which i've now decided to make a little larger than i'd originally intended. Off to the building supplies warehouse with me then! :)

Can anyone tell me if there are decals available, so i could change the locos numbers? I'm sure that a lot of the locos i am going to want are available, but it would be great if they were the right locos, so to speak.

//eddy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eddy

Modelmaster and Fox transfers both have comprehensive ranges - and Railtec may do you a specific sheet for any given loco, Steve certainly does that for diesels.

The beauty of ex GW locos is that you can just stick an etched name plate over the printed one!

Have you settled on any particular locos yet?

Cheers

Phil

Eddy,

Remember that the BR Class 3 tanks working on the Cambrian could be in both lined and unlined green and the BR standard Class 4 4-6-0 could be in both lined black and lined green. Similarly the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 tender engines could be in both lined black, lined green and unlined green. Therefore you need to be carefull renumbering to make sure the correct number goes with the correct livery. By 1964 the remaining Manors were in terrible external condition some running without nameplates and BR class 4 2-6-0 were appearing (76xx) in lined black.

You can also have as part of the freight trains Gunpoweder vans as they were used to bring in explosives for some of the quarries.

In 1962 I spent a week near Morfa Mawdach station ( the other side of the Barmouth bridge) and watched the trains every day.

David

Eddy,

Remember that the BR Class 3 tanks working on the Cambrian could be in both lined and unlined green and the BR standard Class 4 4-6-0 could be in both lined black and lined green. Similarly the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 tender engines could be in both lined black, lined green and unlined green. Therefore you need to be carefull renumbering to make sure the correct number goes with the correct livery. By 1964 the remaining Manors were in terrible external condition some running without nameplates and BR class 4 2-6-0 were appearing (76xx) in lined black.

You can also have as part of the freight trains Gunpoweder vans as they were used to bring in explosives for some of the quarries.

In 1962 I spent a week near Morfa Mawdach station ( the other side of the Barmouth bridge) and watched the trains every day.

David

Hej David! Thanks :) Plenty to think about

//eddy

Hi Eddy

Modelmaster and Fox transfers both have comprehensive ranges - and Railtec may do you a specific sheet for any given loco, Steve certainly does that for diesels.

The beauty of ex GW locos is that you can just stick an etched name plate over the printed one!

Have you settled on any particular locos yet?

Cheers

Phil

hej Phil! It will be a 2MT. Pulling freight if it's authentic to run a class 101 DMU at the same time. Having said that, wasn't/isn't the Cambrian line single track? I'm aiming for a layout that's mostly countryside..

• RMweb Gold

Yes Cambrian was largely single track.

Have a feeling the 76xxx 2-6-0s didn't appear until 66 but could be proved wrong....

To be accurate you will probably be wanting a 2MT that finished on the Cambrian - 46521 (now preserved) was there until her nemesis late in 1966, a lot of the others were transferred away when the DMUs arrived

Cheers

Phil

Hi Eddy, if you are after Manor's they come up frequently on ebay and you can regularly catch a bargin for £30-40. Manor's did seem to be frequent choice of motive power for the pickup goods. I've a few photos Manor's on goods services - Hinton Manor shunting at Oswestry, another at Moat Lane Junction, Draycott Manor at Caersws. There's also the Std class 2 78xxx though these are only available in kit form.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan

Was only wondering if you might happen along as I was reading my Mid-Wales Railway tome yesterday and of course your avatar - Mr David Davies - cropped up. Love the pictures of Llandinam - have waded over the remains of the bridge pillars a few times when fishing there

Interesting to look at the Cambrian power isn't it? Evolved rapidly over the 60s - standards replacing GW types, (63xx, 22xx, 45xx), then the standard tanks being replaced by the DMUs until just 75xxx and occasional 76xxx remained in 66/7

Wish I had been there to see it too! First visit in 66 so line was still open - just

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil, Llandinam is a lovely spot, I too wish I could have been around to see the line operational. It would have made a wonderful preserved line! Though quite restricted in motive power on the mid wales line.

I'd read recently that towards the end of the construction of clywedog dam, 8F's were seen as far as Newtown, delivering presflo's to be taken onwards to the railhead at Llanidloes by Ivatt or Class 24's towards the last months of the line

Hi Eddy, if you are after Manor's they come up frequently on ebay and you can regularly catch a bargin for £30-40. Manor's did seem to be frequent choice of motive power for the pickup goods. I've a few photos Manor's on goods services - Hinton Manor shunting at Oswestry, another at Moat Lane Junction, Draycott Manor at Caersws. There's also the Std class 2 78xxx though these are only available in kit form.

Manors are definitely nice. I will acquire one sooner or later :) got my heart set on a 2MT to begin with, and the Bachmann DMU Class 101 "Shrewsbury/Aberystwyth". Even if the two never saw each other, it won't matter, as my layout will be single track, so there won't be any anachronism with them running at the same time ;)

//eddy

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all. Hope you had a splendid Christmas and New Year.

I was just looking at Geoff Plumb's pictures of the Cambrian line. Would i be correct in thinking this an LMS pattern brake van?

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/CambrianCoastLines/i-ZXrqwPG/A

They seem not to be available in 00. And while i have your attention, which locos were pulling freight trains on the Cambrian after 'diesel-isation', or post-steam (if you prefer)?

//eddy

Archived