ROCO Z21 - More than one version?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Whilst browsing the 2014 Roco catalogue (P69) I notice the Z21 is listed at €399 complete with WLAN router and PSU

Further on (pp85-89) there are some various starter sets with a loco and three wagons, some track and the Z21 pack also for €399!

Or you can get a 5 car ICE 2 set with track and Z21 for just €30 more!

In the Fleischmann catalogue you can get an "N" gauge starter set with a loco and four wagons for €349!

My question is:

Is there a cut down version of the Z21 for starter sets or is it a good value "loss-leader" to get people interested? (see below!!!)

I assume the rolling stock is sort of "Hornby Railroad" grade, but it still seems good value.

Cheers

Keith

Edit added Fleischmann set

Also  can answer my own question in that white boxes are cut down versions (z21) and black are full fat (Z21)!

• RMweb Gold

So if the z21 is the cut down version of the Z21, is the unit in the starter sets the z21, or the Z21? A subtle distinction that may well be lot on potential z/Z21 purchasers.

z21 basic in all the start sets I've seen. Easy way to tell is the full option is black with a capital Z and the basic one is white with a small z.

Much like the EZ command the set options list the capabilities and it's all there on the website so I don't think it's misleading. If you want all the connections I'd expect you to be asking the questions and guessing a start set is not likely to be full spec which makes the full spec trains a bonus ;)

• RMweb Premium

When I originally posted I hadn't appreciated the subtle difference between a "z21" and a "Z21"

The general information doesn't differentiate but when you look at the details it becomes obvious that the "z21" is much more basic than the "Z21"

If after buying a basic set you are "hooked" on the Z21 concept you then have to buy the more expensive one and find some way of disposing of the starter version!

Or can it be upgraded?

keith

• RMweb Gold

Depends if you need all the extras, I bought the full model in case I wanted to expand it for another big exhibition layout. At present I'm running its command signal through a Uhlenbrock booster for G scale and there doesn't appear to be any reason the z can't do the same. For many people just wanting basic dcc with wireless throttles the z is a good buy for a small home layout. As you've done I think anyone wanting a more sophisticated system will ask the question or read up on the website and realise.

Ever since the z21 in white has been available, the differences between it and the full black Z21 version have been clearly shown!!

Just watch for the typical typos in people reselling like the difference between m and M or k and K in SI units (eg the 900MW transistor radio running form a single battery)

THERE WERE, and MAY STILL BE some STARTER SETS with the Z21(black) ... these were the first released at the same time the Z21 was launched, and they also reflect the fact that it contains the full unit in the price.

In the same way that, for example, I have bought starter sets with the opening-door coaches and operating pantograph loco, and also MultiCentralPRo controller Starter Sets... they have prices/sets ranging from low 'first time user' to 'all bells and whistles'.

Their catalogue is available, on line, for free - and explains all.

• RMweb Gold

Having jumped in at the deep-end I got the black box before the white box appeared on the market. I like what I got but its not all been plain sailing especially as there is no proper manual that you can take to bed to read and study before you drift off to sleep......

In reality, at the pace that the Z21 is developing, a manual would be out of date before it gets printed. These days the app on my android seems to get updated quite often and some new feature appears when you open the app. What would be nice, though, would be an e:mail to tell you what has been updated - I have registered with Roco but nothing has materialised so far. It's a case of working out for yourself whats changed and maybe exchange views here if you have any questions.

One of the latest updates has been a "Video-Loco" button on the loco settings screen. This is something that I've got to look into now as on Friday I collected one of the Roco OBB Taurus locos with a digital camera in the driving cab. It came with some basic English language instructions but the English used is a bit confusing using some odd (to me at least) terminology. At least I've got something to keep me occupied over Christmas :jester:  :senile:  :scratchhead:

The Z21 concept, especially the use of the smartphone, is a "cool" way of doing things. Maybe my street creds went up when I went into Vodaphone to enquire about a phone upgrade. The salesperson asked what I wanted to use the phone for and was lost for words when I told him that it was to control my model railway. Luckily I had some info on the Z21 with me and his was able to sort out a phone for my needs.

Suppose you can say I'm a happy bunny with my Z21. Merry Christmas eveybody,

Keith

Archived