Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I couldn't decide on the better 'photo, therefore we have two photos showing the same basic scene.

Both nice pics Neal.  You can see a bit more of both locos in the first, but in the second I like those two blokes showing an interest.  Nice toplight too!

Edited by checkrail
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, checkrail said:

Both nice pics Neal.  You can see a bit more of both locos in the first, but in the second I like those two blokes showing an interest.

Thanks John,

The two blokes are Modelu give-always from a few years ago…. Andy York and Phil Parker!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I had a momentary thought looking at that 5090 pic, and that was Castles would look better without outside pipes.

But maybe I'm just an old-fashioned Star fan.

I can understand that Miss Prism.... but seeing this line-up at Didcot....

Such a shame we weren't able to fly in for it.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The GWS Didcot blog page this week turns again to the contract overhaul of 0-4-2T no 1466. 

Work is still concentrating on the boiler and the photos show the 195 tube holes - with only 2 large tubes, normally its a mix of different sizes. I guess due to the small firebox, if you have too many large tubes, the fire will disappear up the chimney!

The blog is here: https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/product.php/78/going-loco/db448090812090c9894ffc6a4e7c89c3

My photo of 1466 dates from July 2013 when the loco had been painted BR black for a photo charter. (I hope its returned to pre-WW2 GWR green livery)

1-Shedscene1466r.jpg.dc6f0bd7a12b91f02cdc8a6004b5decd.jpg

The loco should be back at Didcot in steam sometime next year - ready to haul auto trains again.

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Castle week continues with something different:

Castle class 4-6-0 no 5090 Neath Abbey is seen passing Twyford with a train in 1957:

https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/neath-abbey-passing-twyford-with-a-passsenger-train-7-news-photo/90779854

I assume that is Twyford East Box I noticed the "T" on the opposite embankment to photographer was this a drainage facility or an aid to drivers and fireman when they raced through?

A  Henley Man Ron Warner used to be a signalman at that box around this period.

Great photo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Brian Stone said:

I assume that is Twyford East Box I noticed the "T" on the opposite embankment to photographer was this a drainage facility or an aid to drivers and fireman when they raced through?

A  Henley Man Ron Warner used to be a signalman at that box around this period.

Great photo.

Thanks Brian, Yes I assume it was the East box and you are right, its a lovely photo.

I wonder why the two photographers were so close to the running lines, unless they are from the PW dept.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I ordered my copy earlier, when I saw it on the  Western Times thread.

Yes I flicked through a copy this morning and it’s a rather nice publication.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I ordered my copy earlier, when I saw it on the  Western Times thread.

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Yes I flicked through a copy this morning and it’s a rather nice publication.

I will order a copy to collect next month when we are in the UK.

Has anyone got the Castle class loco book in the Haynes series! Written by Drew at the GWS. Is it good?

Thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks guys

I will order a copy to collect next month when we are in the UK.

Has anyone got the Castle class loco book in the Haynes series! Written by Drew at the GWS. Is it good?

Thanks

Yes and yes.

very good on identifying differences between the batches.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2023 at 18:42, Neal Ball said:

I have Googled "what is a group of Castles called?"

According to Answers.com: 

There is no specific collective noun for castles, most likely because castles are seldom found in a group. When there is no collective noun, a noun suitable for the situation is used, for example a cluster of castles, a chain of castles, a choice of castles.

Obviously the good folk at Answers.com never visited Old Oak Common back in the day, or Henley-on-Thames this afternoon 😎

To conclude "Castle week" we have a cluster of Castles. I hope you enjoy them.

Featuring:

• Caerphilly Castle;
  • Dryswlyn Castle;
  • Tregena Castle: 
  • Windsor Castle: 
  • Plus Interloper 0-6-0PT no 2747 also makes an appearance.

Great video Neal.

I like that you resisted the temptation of adding music, and instead let the locos speak for themselves. The effect is very good, it feels like watching the highlights from a perfect real-world spotter's day. Well edited too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Great video Neal.

I like that you resisted the temptation of adding music, and instead let the locos speak for themselves. The effect is very good, it feels like watching the highlights from a perfect real-world spotter's day. Well edited too. 

Thanks Mikkel, I was just having a bit of fun with the locos.

The editing took ages, I doubt I will be a vlogger any time soon!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

After Castle week, it’s back to the ordinary!

The C23 clerestory third has had a bit of work done.

IMG_5710.jpeg.b534d0152e7a516c3b7f311397d30a79.jpeg

I have photos of a C23 with the top windows plated over. I just need to add vents into the panel, once all the glue has dried.

Ive also added a few seats - more to get the impression…. It’s not possible to use Ratio seat backs as they will show through the windows / making glazing difficult.

My Dart order is on its way to my parents in the UK, which includes the correct Dean vac cylinder and also replacement bogies.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I’ve also fettled some couplings - the Centenary all third were too short, the Restaurant third kept fouling.

They are both fixed now 😎

IMG_5711.jpeg.d8f0de2a9041f010bff60d16c4a0f45d.jpeg

A productive day I think.

• Like 15