Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Today has been a day of odds and ends again.

• A couple of final jobs on the overall roof. 
  • All the Toad brake vans and shunters trucks, now have branding on both sides. They are currently drying and will be varnished tomorrow. They've been hanging around for a while, so it will be good to get them finished. At a later point, I will start weathering the stock.
  • I then started some electrical work - I've been making up some PCB boards for lights and resisters in the station masters office and the buildings down that side.
    • The SM office is on the left, together with the parcels office, both have yellow LED. - They are a bit too bright and a bit too yellow!
    • The Waiting room has a Kytes lights lamp, using a PCB included with a DCC Concepts lamp.
    • The ladies again has a Kytes lights lamp, but a different resistance. That level of light worked better under the platform canopy, but not when its being used to show there is a light in the building.

1388477699_Stationbuildinglights14-5-20.jpg.f5881d684d9b98bb322afdd6df8fb436.jpg

1259728498_Platformlights14-5-20.jpg.5da4bcd6f4a46f448b0b0996daa98a01.jpg

I started by using an electrical test board, to try the components out, but you can't beat putting them onto the layout to see how it works.

The photo of the canopy appears to show a very bright gas lamp on Platform 2, its not that bright!

Hopefully the lights in the buildings will be straight forward.

I've no idea at the moment how I am going to run the lights for the canopy or the main roof.

There are 2 x lights to go under the canopy; 2 lights on each platform and 2 above the concourse under the overall roof. 

To be continued...

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

This morning started with the brake vans and Shunters trucks. They are seen here before being varnished. Weathering will follow - later.

I now have:

• 2 x Henley on Thames Brake vans;
  • 1 x Henley shunters truck
  • 1 x Southall brake van
  • 1 x Reading brake van (not shown - depot name changed ages ago)
  • 1 x Reading shunters truck
  • 1 x Paddington brake van (not shown, bought with that branding to allow through trains)

I think I have enough local brake vans to enable pick-up goods and local freight workings now.

1477028312_Brakevans15-5-20.jpg.8cdff284a3cbcacd67a82328f97287a9.jpg

Everything is now left to dry - including one of my Hall class loco tenders, which had its 1920's livery changed to shirtbutton.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts then turned to the platform canopy, whereupon I fitted asbestos sheeting onto the roof. I will add the glazing bars shortly.

303791389_Henleystation15-5-20r.jpg.0962d7dc9df7580141af050eaa8bbc4c.jpg

Sound fitted Rood Ashton Hall is sat on Platform 1 with a direct paddington service.

57764830_Henleystation15-5-20br.jpg.d13a5cc484af86d8252298651a1d1fee.jpg

Thats it for today. I'm currently sat in the Conservatory on the roof.... its raining!

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterdays jobs at Henley on Thames:

Included sorting out the electrics for 5766 0-6-0PT and it's associated Toad brake van.

It's been sat on the workbench seemingly for ages! Initially I was waiting for the new number plates from Modelmaster Jackson-Evans* in Fife....

Having given up in that department, I have now set-to and added the electrical pick-ups to the Toad, while I was at it, I decided to do some weathering and the Brake van is suitably grubby now! - I still need to do the loco, which will get minor weathering - certainly nothing as dramatic as the Toad. I have dry brushed it using Railmatch Brake dust and sleeper grime.

I then wired in the 2 pin connector that will power the loco from the brake van. In doing so, I have re-wired the loco as I didn't like some of the connections to/from the DCC socket.

There remains an issue that I can't get the body to fit back on completely. Therefore I think tomorrow I will wire the feed from the Toad directly onto the DCC socket. I also think the wire between the DCC plug and the chip is just too long and I might also be better off reducing that and seeing where we go from there. the decoder is the small decoder from Gaugemaster.

1509649493_57xx0-6-0PT5766.jpg.ec879fb574791f45bad7ff3e94b8a32a.jpg

*I had a very pleasant telephone conversation with the fella at Modelmaster Jackson Evans a couple of weeks ago. Despite having placed the order for 2 plates on 29th October 2019, he conceded that the order to the etchers had not been placed until December. He then said the etchers had been busy on other work and had now been closed after the Scottish government ordered them to close due to Covid 19. All details he had not mentioned ion our previous conversations.

He was very pleasant, nice guy, but its no way to run a business.

The plates for 5766 came from Fox and I now need to get 2 more to replace those that were "on order" from those in Fife.

I've had great service from Fox and am happy to recommend them. I wont bother with the Fife outfit again.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

On another matter, has anyone seen a copy of the new Bachmann Times? I had a diary not that it was due to be released around 5th May. Is it out yet, or just stick in the post somewhere?

Thanks, Neal.

23 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

On another matter, has anyone seen a copy of the new Bachmann Times? I had a diary not that it was due to be released around 5th May. Is it out yet, or just stick in the post somewhere?

Thanks, Neal.

Hi Neal,

received my copy here in the uk about a week ago, so yours is probably still on its way!

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Neal,

received my copy here in the uk about a week ago, so yours is probably still on its way!

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul.

• RMweb Premium

5766 is now running nicely with its attendant Toad - although it needs quite a fair turn of the controller to get it moving.

In order to get all the cables in, I have hard-wired the DCC chip into the loco.

It all works - just needs some weathering and some lamps. I have some modelu lamps for the brake vans and will look at the DCC concepts lamps for the loco itself.

Seen here with a short freight arriving into Henley on Thames.

2106760584_5766goods19-5-20r.jpg.ec7c0110a0a7257761d0b8ef71facf0e.jpg

I have also been working again on the controller for the turntable.

I'm waiting for the rest of the valancing to arrive for the Platform canopy before I finish that area off. Hopefully it will be here at some point this week.

Stay safe - have a good evening, 

Neal.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Success!

It might not look pretty - but I have tested the turntable PCB on the work bench today - and it works!

I now need to programme it and mount it under the turntable. 

378920738_Turntabletest.jpg.aaa67ef9787b196b432003c671c7075c.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Neal,

In my copy of "Through the Links at Southall and Old Oak Common", I have found an interesting link between my Lower Thames Yard (Maidenhead) layout prototype and your Henley on Thames prototype:-

In 1955 (ok , before my 1960/2 era and after your 1930's era!) there was an evening (at 2200) GW railcar from Maidenhead to Henley.

I am guessing this might have been for the evening cinema goers (and drinkers!) to get back home!

I assume after arrival at Henley the car either did another run back and forth to Twyford, or retired directly to Reading?

This seems to have disappeared by the 1958 WTT. 

I am guessing this was a streamline car as one seemed to have been used quite often on the Henley branch.

I had been looking for an excuse to run a streamlined GW railcar on Lower Thames Yard, so this is my excuse (Rule 1!).

I can get away with an angular car on the 0745 morning Slough to Newbury run (it should be cars 33/38 plus a repainted carriage!), now I can run both versions? 

Hope this is of interest?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Neal,

In my copy of "Through the Links at Southall and Old Oak Common", I have found an interesting link between my Lower Thames Yard (Maidenhead) layout prototype and your Henley on Thames prototype:-

In 1955 (ok , before my 1960/2 era and after your 1930's era!) there was an evening (at 2200) GW railcar from Maidenhead to Henley.

I am guessing this might have been for the evening cinema goers (and drinkers!) to get back home!

I assume after arrival at Henley the car either did another run back and forth to Twyford, or retired directly to Reading?

This seems to have disappeared by the 1958 WTT. 

I am guessing this was a streamline car as one seemed to have been used quite often on the Henley branch.

I had been looking for an excuse to run a streamlined GW railcar on Lower Thames Yard, so this is my excuse (Rule 1!).

I can get away with an angular car on the 0745 morning Slough to Newbury run (it should be cars 33/38 plus a repainted carriage!), now I can run both versions? 

Hope this is of interest?

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul, yes definetly of interest.

Even during the 1930's there were a couple of odd journeys at that time of night - although only one going to Maidenhead. ex-Henley at 10pm*

Although the details I have are for an auto train working - although as you say, there were a number of railcar workings on the branch. 

As far as I know there was only one Maidenhead service, the other auto workings went from Henley into Reading and back.

*I will have to check that as you also said a 10pm ex-Maidenhead.... I had a quick look for my timetable, but as ever, its somewhere safe!

You are aware no doubt that No 17 had a daily turn along the Thames Valley - leaving London at @4am for Oxford, calling at all stations to Reading... Frank Dumbleton posted a couple of photos of it being loaded at Southall on the GWS Facebook page a few weeks ago.

I will find my timetables and get you the details.

Thanks again,

Regards, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Turntable fail :-(

After my upbeat message on 20th May - a week later and it's all very different.

In testing the motor on the bench, I then started the long process of fitting it under the layout, running the cables (14 x 2.5m), setting up the control board and trying again.

To cut a very long story short, it was not to be.

Its near-on impossible to get the motor to line up correctly with the gear box. There is a bit of play which means it either will or will not work.... the gear on the motor drive, missing, or engaging too hard on the first gear box gear.

Then there is the issue about getting the drive unit at exactly the right angle under the turntable to get it to rotate correctly. 

All I managed was a 5 degree turn of the turntable.

I have stripped the gear box down on the bench (removing all the wiring in the process) and it still won't work. At different points, the motor will work fine, then not; then the gearbox runs nicely, then it's as if its seized.

I am now of the opinion that the PCB / Gear Box / Motor is overly complicated for what is needed and have decided to strip everything off the layout.  Sadly this is probably also the end of my MERG journey. I'm not a fancy electrician, I still don't understand half of what is discussed in the magazine.

I am going to get hold of the Peco combined motor / gearbox and still with that. Apparently it just goes round, with no indexing.

Onwards and upwards - after wasting so much time, tomorrow I will get back to something more productive!

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I am now of the opinion that the PCB / Gear Box / Motor is overly complicated for what is needed and have decided to strip everything off the layout.  Sadly this is probably also the end of my MERG journey. I'm not a fancy electrician, I still don't understand half of what is discussed in the magazine.

My main reason for not joining MERG also Neal, so you're not on your own.

If all else fails there's always Meccano!

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

On a more positive note....

At least we know the Hornby 61xx is on its way from China. No 6110 is expected to hit the UK shops in July. I guess this means it's being loaded onto the ship as I type.

That's something to look forward to.... 2 x 61xx 2-6-2T which will be sound fitted. I have already spoken to John at YouChoos and will be getting the decoders from him, once we know what space we have for the speakers.

627362157_HornbyGWR61xx.jpg.4af4f283d2a87f3d7a533c517ff27830.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My main reason for not joining MERG also Neal, so you're not on your own.

If all else fails there's always Meccano!

Mike.

For me, it's a case of finding my limitations. I thought I would master it..... even testing of the PCB proved problematic.

I also thought about Meccano.... I think we still have a metal Meccano set in the loft at home....

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

On a more positive note....

At least we know the Hornby 61xx is on its way from China. No 6110 is expected to hit the UK shops in July. I guess this means it's being loaded onto the ship as I type.

That's something to look forward to.... 2 x 61xx 2-6-2T which will be sound fitted. I have already spoken to John at YouChoos and will be getting the decoders from him, once we know what space we have for the speakers.

627362157_HornbyGWR61xx.jpg.4af4f283d2a87f3d7a533c517ff27830.jpg

So there is a bonus of sorts for the continued delay on shipping 41xx (GWR livery).......at least I will be able to order the decoders ahead of time!

I will be interested to know how much space is available....hopefully I can put a lifelink and supercap in as well as the chip.

Sorry to hear about the TT....I know just how frustrating that sort of thing can be.....I didnt join Merg either!

Best wishes

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Turntable fail :-(

After my upbeat message on 20th May - a week later and it's all very different.

In testing the motor on the bench, I then started the long process of fitting it under the layout, running the cables (14 x 2.5m), setting up the control board and trying again.

To cut a very long story short, it was not to be.

Its near-on impossible to get the motor to line up correctly with the gear box. There is a bit of play which means it either will or will not work.... the gear on the motor drive, missing, or engaging too hard on the first gear box gear.

Then there is the issue about getting the drive unit at exactly the right angle under the turntable to get it to rotate correctly. 

All I managed was a 5 degree turn of the turntable.

I have stripped the gear box down on the bench (removing all the wiring in the process) and it still won't work. At different points, the motor will work fine, then not; then the gearbox runs nicely, then it's as if its seized.

I am going to get hold of the Peco combined motor / gearbox and still with that. Apparently it just goes round, with no indexing.

Onwards and upwards - after wasting so much time, tomorrow I will get back to something more productive!

If you're building a new motor/drive combination, think about something that drives at the edge of the table rather than the spindle. You'll find alignment of the tracks much easier as there will be less backlash. A disc under the baseboard with either a belt drive or a friction drive is a good starting point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

If you're building a new motor/drive combination, think about something that drives at the edge of the table rather than the spindle. You'll find alignment of the tracks much easier as there will be less backlash. A disc under the baseboard with either a belt drive or a friction drive is a good starting point.

It is also possible to mount a disc under the baseboard upon which runs a lever arm roller microswitch. If small notches are cut into the periphery of the disc which line up with the exit tracks, the switch will trip and stop at each track. To restart the turntable or bypass tracks until you reach the desired exit, a simple push to make switch can be wired in to bypass the microswitch. It's a bit old school, but it's robust, not too fiddly and cheap. The turntable motor circuit is always switched out when the tracks are aligned and activated by the push to make switch so no need for a separate motor feed circuit or switches.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I read an article once where a turntable was driven by a motor controlled by a DCC loco decoder. The guy said that he didn’t worry about indexing because he could just use the fine motor control to stop the TT where he wanted and joggle it to line it up. I think he said it was very easy once you got used to it.

This always struck me as a neat idea because it’s simple, it uses technology we’re already familiar with, the TT moves more realistically, it’s easy to bypass exits you don’t want and you control it using your existing control system. But note that I’ve never actually seen this done so in practice maybe it’s no good?

It feels like it would work well combined with St Enodoc’s edge drive.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting ideas thank you all.

Strangely, I have two other turntables in the spares box and I stripped them down to look at robbing gears etc. To mount on the side as per @St Enodoc my issue was how to get onto the spindle underneath as it’s not very proud.....

To be continued! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It is also possible to mount a disc under the baseboard upon which runs a lever arm roller microswitch. If small notches are cut into the periphery of the disc which line up with the exit tracks, the switch will trip and stop at each track. To restart the turntable or bypass tracks until you reach the desired exit, a simple push to make switch can be wired in to bypass the microswitch. It's a bit old school, but it's robust, not too fiddly and cheap. The turntable motor circuit is always switched out when the tracks are aligned and activated by the push to make switch so no need for a separate motor feed circuit or switches.

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Something like this. Excuse the naff phone camera pic.

WP_20200529_02_52_56_Pro.jpg

That's what I did on a club layout once. The trickiest bit is getting the shape of the notches right so that a) the table stops in the same place every time and b) the microswitch actuator doesn't jam against the edge of the notch preventing the table from restarting.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's what I did on a club layout once. The trickiest bit is getting the shape of the notches right so that a) the table stops in the same place every time and b) the microswitch actuator doesn't jam against the edge of the notch preventing the table from restarting.

Rather than file possibly uneven notches, small round headed screws are an easier option.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

You can also power it through a motor speed control circuit with a "soft start" facility. These were available as kits including a pre printed circuit board for educational purposes.

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Rather than file possibly uneven notches, small round headed screws are an easier option.

Mike.

If I remember right I made mine out of perspex, scribed the circle and marked the position of the notches. I then drilled through each point on the outside diameter at the location of the notch with progressively larger drills. When I cut out the disc I was left with equal depth notches. Once de-burred I 'broke' the leading /trailing edge of each notch with a fine file to prevent snagging. The deck was airfix with the wheels and axles replaced with some old finescale coach wheels.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3