Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully I’m on the right track....

I started  this morning with a good tidy up of the railway work space before drawing out the roof.

1211C98C-AECB-4E7F-A293-1437301C8A1E.jpeg.36740330cd5ccc0f490a1fca9ae70c63.jpeg

I understand that I now have the profile and that will enable me to cut the card out for the length of the roof. But I can’t see from here how to get the end sections cut.... 

The photo below shows the plan, together with the old roof. It’s the length of K that I can’t grasp as the moment.

454A6639-090F-4B3C-83DB-486DC3592A0A.jpeg.9c4f0d84ada498cab420bff116231925.jpeg

2AA33623-B5D9-4B22-AA87-D9F42D7535BD.jpeg.791e0cbd3d70156642f480f78997c24d.jpeg

Its not possible to scale off the old model as some of the dimensions have changed!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You know what the length of the line from the point of the roof to the bottom of the roof, call it h.  Call the length from where this touches the bottom of the roof, l.

Therefore

K squared = H squared + l squared.

Hope this helps.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Roughed it out in thin card and I think I’m definitely on the right track. Just need to fix dimensions where the roof changes, but hopefully that should be straightforward. I’m now going to replicate the dimensions in proper card and tile it!

Thanks to @ChrisN and @Siberian Snooper

296593A0-78C2-4337-9A40-832408594304.jpeg.db1fe3537cf88de62d41d0fa269ed3bd.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I had just seen that you had a problem and have done a little very rough sketch of what I tried to describe yesterday.

1026428972_Rooftutorial.png.5067b02a0c8ac190430f50345ea129b7.png

I hope this explains it a bit better, this will work for any lines where you know the plan length and the rise.

Black line represents the roof edge, the red line represents the ridge line, blue lines represent the hip. Draw your horizontal and vertical lines at right angles, using compasses or dividers mark the distance A - B on the horizontal line, mark the height of the ridge, the red line on the vertical. The line between A and the ridge is its correct length.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Roughed it out in thin card and I think I’m definitely on the right track. Just need to fix dimensions where the roof changes, but hopefully that should be straightforward. I’m now going to replicate the dimensions in proper card and tile it!

Thanks to @ChrisN and @Siberian Snooper

296593A0-78C2-4337-9A40-832408594304.jpeg.db1fe3537cf88de62d41d0fa269ed3bd.jpeg

Looks pretty damned close to me. The bit for step change in the buildings would be the tricky bit, but easy enough with the method I outlined. The really difficult bit is where it's all on different planes, we learnt it at college, but I have forgotten how to do it and would get someone who can use 3d CAD to do it, if I ever needed to do it.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions this afternoon. 

I have finished off by glueing all the roof tiles onto the card and will begin assembling on Monday.

Have a good weekend, stay safe.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hip roof update:

It's actually gone very well - although the ridge tiles cover up a multitude of sins.

The barge boards and gutter downpipes are currently waiting to dry, having been painted before I left the railway room. I have also been painting the booking hall canopy as well.

The chimneys also need chimney pots and I need to fix lighting side the building.

1615097133_Henley27-4-20ar.jpg.53e41afb1214f959d3a51b8016efff65.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

I have also test fitted the old overall roof, which I am hoping to be able to re-use. As expected it needs a bit of work.

In reality, I probably wont operate the railway with it on as it is likely to get in the way.

1669662347_Henley27-4-20cr.jpg.9fdf7199a3d79b621500a64f2ac30bd1.jpg

In all probability, before tackling this I am likely to go back to the locos and brake vans and get number plates and depot allocations sorted out.

But it would be good to get the roof fixed, as that will also enable me to get the platform canopy into place. (I need to learn how to use the airgun for both of these jobs!)

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hey dude, I really dig that roof...

Thanks! Not sure I would want to do it again - it was a pain to say the least.

I now need to use the same principal and make the roof for the Gents, which as its glazed, i wont be able to mess it up!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very impressed with the station buildings Neal, am furiously taking notes. I like the expansive station forecourt too, lots of room for some interesting vehicles. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Very impressed with the station buildings Neal, am furiously taking notes. I like the expansive station forecourt too, lots of room for some interesting vehicles. 

Thanks @Mikkel - its usually a thoroughfare between the Goods Yard entrance and Station Rd.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, I see now:

On 24/12/2014 at 09:58, Neal Ball said:

Looks as if it is a Brown van of some sort - but the roof of the engine shed is definitely off - possibly being repaired as there is scaffolding around the near side.

I have just bought this high res photo from Aerofilms at: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/EPW022753and shews the station area in 1928. The photo is of a much larger area, I have reduced it to this section as I am intrigued about the engine shed.

Also of note is the rear of the Toomers coal office, I have always thought it was an odd location for this to be part of the loco yard. In later years the station road side at this point had hoardings up, some of which are visible in the section closest to the River, but not along the whole stretch.

post-6981-0-77053100-1419411419_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had forgotten that photo although I must have seen it before in your thread.  It now makes it clear where it was and why there is the crescent in the road, which is now just a parking area in front of the buildings there.  I had not realised that the whole of the station building has been demolished and the line shortened, as well as losing three platforms.  Next time we are there, there will be more useless information to tell my wife.

The buildings are looking great.  Will it be done in time for the Regatta?  

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

I had forgotten that photo although I must have seen it before in your thread.  It now makes it clear where it was and why there is the crescent in the road, which is now just a parking area in front of the buildings there.  I had not realised that the whole of the station building has been demolished and the line shortened, as well as losing three platforms.  Next time we are there, there will be more useless information to tell my wife.

The buildings are looking great.  Will it be done in time for the Regatta?  

Oh definitely finished for the 1936 Regatta!

The main building is roughly where the current booking office is, with the old 1904 booking hall further back. 

The grassy area in front of the crescent is where (pre-1904) the turntable was situated. The overall roof in those days would have looked more like the one at Thame - with tracks going straight through. I dont think the plans were ever to make the station part of a through route, but if it did, I wonder where it might have gove.... Oxford perhaps, avoiding Reading...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

As building work at the station continues, the Station Master Ernest Sexton felt able to park his car outside his office earlier today.

Just as well he did it when he did as the gates have been closed and the fences taken away for painting.

1082323406_Henleystation28-4-20br.jpg.07c987b7547d4b5601fc287e94326e81.jpg

It's been a day of odd jobs around the station today. Lots of painting, including the booking hall roof and canopy.

(The lamp isn't wonky, its the close up angle of the camera)

I have looked further at the main station canopy and still hope it can be refurbished. It looks as if it has warped, where it hasn't been properly supported in its box. Failing that I need to get more 20 thou plasticard and start from scratch. I don't fancy building the replacement from card as its bound to warp over such a length.

The other alternative would be to fix it down completely, but that would make it awkward to operate.

Another view that shows the amount of space around the entrance to the Goods Yard.

908781875_Henleystation28-4-20ar.jpg.25c42f9a18d8f51899a5df2627b4f8e2.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow all the odd bits done today can be put together and we might even be able to open the gates to allow Mr Sexton to take his car out. Obviously as its Wednesday tomorrow, it wont be a frivolous journey in the car.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to mention yesterday, that Henley on Thames will be the recipient of a new church courtesy of Andy York and TMC. I came 15th out of 16 in last weekends raffle.

Thanks very much guys.

The church will be sited at the end of the High St. This area at Henley is back in a box at the moment. I moved it all when we had the builders in the railway room and it hasn't gone back yet. It will do shortly.

Tues - Prize.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Last night before leaving the railway room, I tackled a couple of Brake vans again.

Another one now has Henley on Thames branding; so thats now 2 x Toad and a shunters truck.

Ages ago I had changed a Bachmann Toad to Reading branding, but looking at it alongside the newer vans, I am going to take that off and replace it with a @railtec-models one.

At the same time last night, I tackled the white roofs, but seeing the light grey effect today, its just a little too blue. (despite being white and black mix), so will need a repaint.

This end of Henley is above the workbench and for the last couple of weeks has looked like a builders yard! There's Toads all over the place! Clearly not enough to disturb the sheep though :-)

1269093991_Brakevans29-4-20r.jpg.c225f62cc9fe8806db72e4d6c526f729.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Todays workflow:

Just a few jobs were completed at Henley on Thames; I am now sat outside in the sun, one of the perks of living over here I suppose. I could tell you it's early closing on a Wednesday, but someone is bound to tell me it was a Thursday. I will look it up....

This is the approach from the goods yard, out towards Station Road.

196350797_Henleystation29-4-20ar.jpg.6c786f30fa6c3eaca8a4670fc814586f.jpg

The fences have all been painted and are back in place. They are not at this stage glued down, I wan t to fix the bank on the left hand side with static grass first. I will probably replace the weighbridge and fix the bridge plate itself into the roadway.

I have also finished all the barge boarding and these are now fixed into place. I have also made the poster boards for the ends of both platforms. 

521356517_Henleystation29-4-20br.jpg.f49b825533147b19e6974a342275e693.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

This group of photos shows that I need more light at this end of the railway. As well as the overhead LED strips, I am using a desk lamp shining directly onto the buildings as I am working.

The area that has come together really well is around the booking hall and the stationmaster office.

You will recall we left the SM Ernest Sexton with his car stuck inside the gates! Clearly he has been on an errand as it is now seen outside the Booking hall, at the same time Jimmy Jones the carman has brought the collection lorry back and is taking a few cases into the station.

1003553810_Henleystation29-4-20cr.jpg.1694907b1bc4308eacbc2992ccd893f3.jpg

The Booking Hall roof had its first coat of paint last night and I'm very pleased to see how it has come out. Theres a bit of touching up to be done, but that can easily be fixed.

All of the Booking Hall is original, the only difference is the wall coverings which are from the Scalescenes range. I will paint the window frames on the skylight. 

In reality the signboard on the canopy was only provided at the far end, being closest to the town. In BR days, there was a board at both ends. I have invoked rule 1 (again) and added it so it's always near the camera. At the moment it's freestanding, I need to work out where its going to be fixed. I also need to do the bargeboard for the booking hall roof.

Once the odd jobs are done, I will get the road fixed and then move onto the Confectioner and the Cafe before coming round and fixing that very green grass! 

1698935932_Henleystation29-4-20dr.jpg.e6b5dcbddd2cf639ea35b59f7950df4e.jpg

More to come soon.

Stay safe, Neal.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

This is coming on a treat, Neal.  I do admire those who model pre their own era - Brave, is what I call it -  I have trouble  enough modelling own times!  The buildings, with all their different facets are so intriguing.  Brave, also to remodel.  It must be devastating, at times, to see something that you have already put a lot of energy into and now needs a lot of work and so much more time spent it, but then you will probably achieve a higher standard of finish due to experience, knowledge and other things modellers seem to develop.

________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 2
  • Agree 2