Dapol n gague DCC chip

mikeandben

Just got a second hand n gague Dapol Virgin trains hst set. There's a nem 651 socket on in the body with a blanking plate? I've got a spare Hornby DCC chip that I want to put in the loco? Now the nem and the Hornby chip are completely different? What are my options to get this hst to DCC?

• RMweb Premium

Just got a second hand n gague Dapol Virgin trains hst set. There's a nem 651 socket on in the body with a blanking plate? I've got a spare Hornby DCC chip that I want to put in the loco? Now the nem and the Hornby chip are completely different? What are my options to get this hst to DCC?

Hi

You really need a 6pin decoder for that socket otherwise you will need to hardware the decoder in.

Cheers

Paul

Bachmann  6 pin  decoders  work  fine  in  the  majority of  n  gauge  locos  I  have  fitted  loads of  them!  Around  £15.00 from  Hattons for  example

The  Majority of  N  Gauge  DCC    Ready Locos  Powered units   are  provided  with  this type  of  Digital  socket

(By DCCready  I mean 'Ready' to accept a decoder, NOT ready to be  used on a Digital layout)

The chip suggested by Steve does work well, but for a few pounds more you can buy a Digitrax DZ125. From my experience, the DZ125 offers much better control and has the added bonus of also working on DC. The Bachmann one was mistakenly advertised as being DC compatible.

A lot of the Bachmann budget decoders are too fat for Dapol locos, they either end up making the body not refit correctly onto the chassis, or in worst cases (I've seen a few) where they tend to heat up, they can (and do!) melt the loco body.. I would recommend the thinner DZ125IN / DZ126IN as a good fitting decoder that doesn't heat up too much and has enough space around it so that it does not come into contact with the top of the body shell..

Remember the old motto :- Buy Cheap, Buy Twice !

:D

Fitted the Bachmann decoder and a complete success..... well the only difference is the man lights on the power car which are white as expected. However the tail lights are also white? Can't seem to fit nd how you get them to be red? I'm using the prodigy express or that helps. Would I be correct in thinking that I need a chip in the rear loco?

• RMweb Premium

Fitted the Bachmann decoder and a complete success..... well the only difference is the man lights on the power car which are white as expected. However the tail lights are also white? Can't seem to fit nd how you get them to be red? I'm using the prodigy express or that helps. Would I be correct in thinking that I need a chip in the rear loco?

Hi

In one word yes you do and you will need to program it either with the power car on the programming track or by putting the new decoder in the power car, programming it then moving it to the dummy car.

Cheers

Paul

Archived