LSWR/SR Engine Shed Interior Colour

I'm nearly ready to paint the interior of my engine shed (Callington) and I'm wondering if anyone out there would know the correct colour the interior was painted ?? I have look at numerous photographs (mostly black & white) and even the colour photos do make it hard to decypher the colour.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Gary.

I think generally they were painted white with maybe a darker colour up to the bottom of the windows. I wouldn't think they stayed like that for long, so probably a light grey getting darker towards the roof.

• RMweb Gold

I do not have the definitive answer to this as it seemed to vary from shed to shed and depending on their construction.

For example brick built were generally white washed and as Jules said above they might have been a darker lower colour but very difficult to tell from photographs due to the available light and the fact that they soon became very dirty.

The concrete block built sheds such as Okehampton appeared to be left as natural concrete rather than panted.

As for wooden sheds the ones I have seen appear to certainly have been a lighter colour than the creosoted outside so might have again been unpainted natural wood which would have aged to a grey colour or perhaps also white washed.

Looking at a few photo's of shed's it looks like its lighter at then bottom than the top,lighter up the windows.

In a color photo i have of an SR shed shows it to been an off white/cream color , wood work dark stone color/ sot and dirt encrusted.

If this is any help

Darren 

There seemed to me to be only four colours on buildings on the Southern immediately post-WW2.

Wood was painted cream or brown, metal was painted green or black, brick where it was painted was cream upper and green, or occasionally brown, lower walls.

Where I lived most houses were painted these same colours as they were the only gloss paints obtainable locally.

Ceilings were an off-white distemper which quickly turned cream. This could be applied to upper walls as well but it marked easily and couldn't be washed.

As a kid I thought these were the only colours in the world !

Hmm, cream, brown, green, black, aren't these the primary camouflage colours? Perhaps that's why there weren't any other colours readily available post-WW2. With nationalisation looming and the paint lockers in the stores mostly carrying wartime economy colours, I doubt there was an incentive to rush out and re-order the pre-war colours.

Think you're pretty safe with whitewash or possibly a light stone type shade;- every view I've seen has been of a light coloured interior. Sheds were dingy by nature, & the maximum amount of reflected light would have been desirable when inspecting motions & other below-footplate equipment.

Archived