Kettering Iron and Coal Company No 8

black5f

Hi

Well, I've started. Firstly an apology, this is likely to be very a slow build due to all my other projects.

However, I have had the luxury of a Sunday, just me and the dog, so I have made a start.

I've always wanted to model this engine and thankfully she is still with us. Although in an dismantled state she is be slowly and lovingly restored.

She's a 3ft gauge engine that used to work withing sight of where I live along with tens of other ironstone tramways. I'm modeling in 7mm but using 16.5 track to represent 3ft gauge. I know that's not correct but eventually she'll be running on a layout with an assortment of engines from a NGG16 to a K28.

This thread kind of follows on from:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80896-kettering-ironstone-manning-wardle/&do=findComment&comment=1704700

Anyway, I usually model in 7mm O gauge scratch building in Nickle silver mostly, build the odd kit and do a lot of fixing / refurbishing of O gauge locos which wear themselves out on our little groups garden railway. Been doing it for a long time time now which keeps me sane after my demanding proper job.

The plan is to build 6, 7 and 8, all sisters but starting with No 8.

So it begins!

Chassis is 18 thou N/s. Currently assembles with spacers in what I am guessing a convenient place. They may get moved when I get round to sorting out the motor. It's not sprung yet. I might do a sprung one eventually but the main purpose is to see if it will negotiate the points OK. This is because they are O gauge Slaters Manning Wardle wheels on 16.5 axles. Seems to work fine at the moment. The layout plan (which will get built one day) calls for an asymmetrical 3 way which will be code 75. Hopefully get to a model shop sometime over Xmas so I can try that out.

post-17315-0-47250000-1419205794_thumb.jpg

post-17315-0-96142900-1419205809_thumb.jpg

post-17315-0-21902500-1419205811_thumb.jpg

Foot plate will need a little more work for the motor and gear box. That wont get done till I have the body well on it's way.

post-17315-0-61476800-1419205812_thumb.jpg

post-17315-0-47942700-1419205813.jpg

Here she is so far face to face with an Agenoria Bagnall, one of two I'm building at the moment. They used to work just up the road as well. And ultimately will work a short standard gauge spur no the layout.

post-17315-0-73512900-1419205808_thumb.jpg

Hope it's of interest!

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Very nice!  

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing that Agenoria Bagnall 0-6-0ST progess.  We had one very similar (Bagnall 2655, built 1942, it was called 'Byfield' but I don't think that was its original name) on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Rly back in the mid/late 1980s. It was the first loco I ever fired and sometime in the very early 1990s I had the last firing turn on it before the boiler ticket ran out.   The Glos Warks was beginning to out grow industrials by then so the chaps who owned it eventually sold it and its now on the Plym Valley Railway, though I don't believe it has ever run since.  It had coil springs on the rear axle and bounced around a bit!  Nice engine though, I must say I'm tempted with one but have too many other projects in the queue at the moment.

Very nice!  

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing that Agenoria Bagnall 0-6-0ST progess.  We had one very similar (Bagnall 2655, built 1942, it was called 'Byfield' but I don't think that was its original name) on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Rly back in the mid/late 1980s. It was the first loco I ever fired and sometime in the very early 1990s I had the last firing turn on it before the boiler ticket ran out.   The Glos Warks was beginning to out grow industrials by then so the chaps who owned it eventually sold it and its now on the Plym Valley Railway, though I don't believe it has ever run since.  It had coil springs on the rear axle and bounced around a bit!  Nice engine though, I must say I'm tempted with one but have too many other projects in the queue at the moment.

Hi. As far as I know Byfield was of the same class of 6 built for the ironstone railways but as built name Byfield No 2. The names plates for all 6 are in the kit including an extra seventh one, Amington No 3 which was very similar? They are all named after local villages around me so are quite nice. It's a nice kit, all lost wax castings and pretty much falls together. Curve in the bunkers probably the worse bit.

They're a nice chunky loco.

T

• 2 weeks later...

More progress over Xmas, not as much as planned which was fairly predictable!

Cab parts. The strips in the bottom of the doors are just left to give a bit of strength while I muck about with it, they will be cut out later.

post-17315-0-67824200-1420382461.jpg

Cab soldered

post-17315-0-47410200-1420382470.jpg

Cab and chassis together.

post-17315-0-43183400-1420382484.jpg

Saddle and fire box bits.

post-17315-0-02066500-1420382536.jpg

Firebox

post-17315-0-15477900-1420382498.jpg

Smoke box.

post-17315-0-46525900-1420382516.jpg

Starting to look like and engine!

post-17315-0-91304900-1420382821.jpg

post-17315-0-38317600-1420382569.jpg

post-17315-0-19611700-1420382558.jpg

Looks like the motor and gear box needs to live in the fire box. Might get a larger motor that can jut out into the saddle / boiler but that does mean the body would have to stay in three separate bits which is OK as prefer as large a motor as possible. Rest filled with lead.

I've been looking at the high level motor / gearbox range, any experience? They have a good web site and an excellent spreadsheet for speed calculation. There really isn't very much room (compared to an O gauge Scott that is) but it has to run well. It'll be basic DCC, no sound, top speed I reckon about 120 rpm under load so say 150 no load. 80:1 sounds like a good call but I don't want a motor combination that's screaming out loud at 10 mph. Preferably silent running...

Next .... the saddle tank.

T

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking at the high level motor / gearbox range, any experience? They have a good web site and an excellent spreadsheet for speed calculation. There really isn't very much room (compared to an O gauge Scott that is) but it has to run well. It'll be basic DCC, no sound, top speed I reckon about 120 rpm under load so say 150 no load. 80:1 sounds like a good call but I don't want a motor combination that's screaming out loud at 10 mph. Preferably silent running...

In my view High Level gearboxes are top notch and Chris is a nice chap to deal with too.  I've used them in my 7mm small shunters.  They go together easily and are very quiet.  I've got a Branchlines Manning Wardle Busy Bee kit to build soon in O14 and I'll be using a High Level 54:1 Slimliner Compact Plus with a Mashima 1020.  

If you are using DCC you could always limit the top speed via adjusting the appropriate CV(s) (I use DecoderPro with a SPROG so just click away on the laptop and the CVs are adjusted accordingly so I've never learned their numbers).  Then you could use say a 60:1 (ish) gearbox and not have the Mashima whining away at top revs.  I have a 7mm Ruston 48DS with a Mashima 1220 and a 108:1 High Level box (can't remember which one off hand - maybe a loadhauler?), now that does scream but it is cheaper than a sound chip and it doesn't sound too dislike a real 48DS with a well worn gearbox.  It also has a monster flywheel and takes about 4 feet to stop from top revs - I now go for much lower ratio boxes and tune the decoders appropriately.

DCC wise on my O14 locos, I've settled on using the CT Elektroink DCX76zD decoders - the micro sized ones, I'm very pleased with the quality of speed control.

BTW - loving the build, very neat work there!

[No connection with High Level Kits, just a satisfied customer].

In my view High Level gearboxes are top notch and Chris is a nice chap to deal with too.  I've used them in my 7mm small shunters.  They go together easily and are very quiet.  I've got a Branchlines Manning Wardle Busy Bee kit to build soon in O14 and I'll be using a High Level 54:1 Slimliner Compact Plus with a Mashima 1020.  

If you are using DCC you could always limit the top speed via adjusting the appropriate CV(s) (I use DecoderPro with a SPROG so just click away on the laptop and the CVs are adjusted accordingly so I've never learned their numbers).  Then you could use say a 60:1 (ish) gearbox and not have the Mashima whining away at top revs.  I have a 7mm Ruston 48DS with a Mashima 1220 and a 108:1 High Level box (can't remember which one off hand - maybe a loadhauler?), now that does scream but it is cheaper than a sound chip and it doesn't sound too dislike a real 48DS with a well worn gearbox.  It also has a monster flywheel and takes about 4 feet to stop from top revs - I now go for much lower ratio boxes and tune the decoders appropriately.

DCC wise on my O14 locos, I've settled on using the CT Elektroink DCX76zD decoders - the micro sized ones, I'm very pleased with the quality of speed control.

BTW - loving the build, very neat work there!

[No connection with High Level Kits, just a satisfied customer].

Thanks for the recommendation. I've looked at discussions of gear ratios vs DCC control... but with so many decoder and motor combinations possible ... any way, I'll be ordering a high level and go for a medium ration re top speed and see how that pans out.

I am determined to do a build blog with photos and that certainly makes you think about keeping it neat.

Cheers and take care.

T

Hi,

I built number 8 in brass in 7mm a few years ago, though for various reasons I never got it finished (partly because I never resolved the gauge decision). I have copies of the works drawings from which I produced the 7mm plans. I look forward to following your progress. I have also not quite finished a scratchbuilt S&L 35 Calettwr. I'll pop a picture on if it's of any interest - awaiting a suitable funnel.

Hi,

I built number 8 in brass in 7mm a few years ago, though for various reasons I never got it finished (partly because I never resolved the gauge decision). I have copies of the works drawings from which I produced the 7mm plans. I look forward to following your progress. I have also not quite finished a scratchbuilt S&L 35 Calettwr. I'll pop a picture on if it's of any interest - awaiting a suitable funnel.

Hi

The gauge decision was hard. I think  I've got away with it being a scale 2ft 4 with 16.5 gauge track. Not being a track builder there had to be commercial track and I have 3 On30 locos for the planned layout.

I'd be really very interested in the drawings. I've got no 8 sorted but plan eventually to do 6 and 7, one in original form, have some old pictures but not good enough to make drawings. I'm doing my own CAD for parts as I go along.

Please post any images you have on the model :-)

Tom

I have also not quite finished a scratchbuilt S&L 35 Calettwr. I'll pop a picture on if it's of any interest - awaiting a suitable funnel.

Hi Jim,

I would be very interested in seeing a photo of your MW, did you measure this off the preserved 35 or do you have some plans? 

Paul A. 

Hi,

Hi

If you have a drawing with dims of the funnel I'll have a rootle around in my scrap bin?

T

A message to all watching, I know this is supposed to be a build log but please don't hold back on posting anything ironstone, 3ft, meter, relevant models that are out there, especially images.

It will only give me more inspiration to get on with this!

For example:

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/19/Snowploughs.htm

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/13/narrow_gauge_wagons_6.htm

Take Care

Tom

scoutmoor tramway Aveling & porter "exelsoir"

http://nationalrailwaymuseum.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/bigshunt2iowhollycombe26crashoctober20091241.jpg

NRM scaldwell wagon

http://nationalrailwaymuseum.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dsc043431.jpg

and in an issue of Garden Rail magazine is a 16mm card model of No 8 (it would take me a few hours to go through them to find it, so ill pass for now)

scoutmoor tramway Aveling & porter "exelsoir"

http://nationalrailwaymuseum.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/bigshunt2iowhollycombe26crashoctober20091241.jpg

NRM scaldwell wagon

http://nationalrailwaymuseum.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dsc043431.jpg

and in an issue of Garden Rail magazine is a 16mm card model of No 8 (it would take me a few hours to go through them to find it, so ill pass for now)

Love the Scadlwell wagon, well, whats left of it. Tons of detail though. I think I read somewhere some were sold to kettering, but I can't remember where. Scaldwell 3ft and standard, Loddington meter and standard with French engines, Kettering 3ft and standard ... what a mix. Endless modelling fun. Looking at old maps the systems used to end within feet of each other, I presume because of land rights, and never connected. The Corby system (from Kettering North Junc also stayed within just a few feet of the Ketteirng system I recently discovered. I think I was born 10 years too late. My Dad says I saw them all, but I was too little to remember.

T

Tom

A fairly productive Sunday. Don't like the roof, too thick, I'll have to remake with thinner material.

post-17315-0-49765000-1421011877_thumb.jpg

post-17315-0-81702400-1421011896_thumb.jpg

post-17315-0-90943700-1421011898.jpg

And just for laughs, a size comparison against a 7mm Jube and a 1:48 K28, which is also 3ft gauge. It's 1:48 so you have to kind of pretend it's an inch longer than it is. But it's already 16 inches long.

post-17315-0-72957700-1421013425_thumb.jpg

K28 showing off here:

T

Hi

If you have a drawing with dims of the funnel I'll have a rootle around in my scrap bin?

T

I have a drawing of the chimney, and actually prepared a lathe path to turn one on a computer lathe, though I lost touch with the chap who was going to do it for me. I'll email it over to you at some point. Photo of the loco is in the pipeline, once I've re-assembled it.

Jim

Ships have funnels, steam locos have chimneys.

Small point.

OzzyO.

Thanks Ozzy - whilst not modelling railways I have been filling my time looking at ships - I need to do a bit of revision.

Archived