Class 73 Photos

• 3 weeks later...

Two from a trip to Eastleigh yesterday:

73136 "Mhairi" & 73107 "Tracy" stabled in the sidings off of Platform 3:

post-20657-0-45778400-1440694022_thumb.jpg

73964 "Jeanette" & 73962 "Dick Mabbutt" on 0Z73 Tonbridge West Yard Gbrf - Eastleigh Arlington (Zg) passing Platform 2:

post-20657-0-47651400-1440694099_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Matt

• 3 months later...

The "Ugly-Slug" 73951 was up Eastleigh on the 5th of December.
post-20657-0-57750000-1450564182_thumb.jpg

I still find it confusing, how NR managed to take a decent looking engine and make it look quite so horrendous with such little effort.

Regards,

Matt

I still find it confusing, how NR managed to take a decent looking engine and make it look quite so horrendous with such little effort.

Who'd have thought the jumper and handrail "clutter" were so intrinsic to the charm of the 73. Single(ish) colour and slab-sided don't combine terribly well either it would seem :(

I'm probably in the minority thinking the clutter-free 73951 looks good whereas the 73/9s in Matt's picture (Post #104) look like they've run amok in a tattoo and piercings parlour.

Edited by Pete 75C

I'm probably in the minority thinking the clutter-free 73951 looks good whereas the 73/9s in Matt's picture (Post #104) look like they've run amok in a tattoo and piercings parlour.

Hey Pete, I think you have started on the Xmas drink too early mate Hahaha, A southern Man saying that looks good !!! can't beat them in original condition + BR Blue or LL Livery in my view.

Cheers, Bob.

• Like 2

I reckon the yellow (or any light-coloured) sides accentuate the new chunky/ugly grilles, and as for the front, it's the shock of the new, seeing one without cables after 50 years with them.

Does it need a handlebar moustache? Or a cheesy grin linking the headlight clusters?

Taking a liberty with your photo, 2 seconds with the electronic crayons gives:

post-6971-0-17030000-1450631042.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agreed... Plain glass. The route destination blinds were contained in a hinged box behind the glass so perhaps during the rebuild it was just removed... It makes for a tidier front end IMHO with better visibility but I suspect potentially more vulnerable to flying objects eg stones.

Griff

Thanks for some great photos, Chaps. Looked through them on the train to work this morning.

A few truly awful liveries in there, though.

Having last bought a "Combined Volume" in about 1975, I'm slightly out of date on how many 73s are left in traffic, and where they all live now, especially given the recent rebuilds.

Any possibility of a quick resume?

K

• RMweb Premium

True, but its one of those 'Southern' characteristics to have their stock / locos with lots of dangleley cables stuck on the front - going way back to the first EMUs on the LSWR. Its also emphasises, how can I put it, the 'practical' approch of the Southern, which historically has been more concerned with the ability to do a good job than worrying too much about looks.

Thanks for some great photos, Chaps. Looked through them on the train to work this morning.

A few truly awful liveries in there, though.

Having last bought a "Combined Volume" in about 1975, I'm slightly out of date on how many 73s are left in traffic, and where they all live now, especially given the recent rebuilds.

Any possibility of a quick resume?

K

Listing at wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_73#Fleet_details, which seems to be fairly up to date with the rebuilt ones. Can't vouch for its accuracy.

And there's a detailed listing on wnxx at http://www.wnxx.com/fleetstatus/data7189.htm, but you might need to subscribe.

Seems to be about 25 of them still in service or being rebuilt, plus another 8 in preservation, and some stored.