York University PG Dip in Railway Studies

To me, it looks like money for old rope, aimed at people with too much time, and money, on their hands. YMMV :)

You could, if so inclined, spend less than 10% of that figure on books and educate yourself on the history of railways to your heart's content. Of course, you won't get the piece of paper at the end of it to say that you've done so, but what doors is that particular piece of paper going to open in any case?

Though I know nothing of this particular course, I wouldn't dismiss the idea so readily. It really depends why you want to do it and what you expect from it.

There's a lot to be said from the imposed structure and discipline of a course. You would need to be pretty single minded to stick to a self learning plan of the same rigour. A course would also make you explore themes and topics which, left to your own devices, you might ignore. Working with other students and tutors who share your interests can be very rewarding.

As I say, depends what you want, where you want it to lead (maybe just your own 'betterment'), on how readily you can afford five grand and whether you think the course content will inspire you.

Ok, from my perspective - a working historian (day job, English local history, all periods, personal research, medieval Wales*, railways a very definite sideline) - it depends what you want to do with it. If you want to conduct research into archive materials and to write it up and publish it - or simply to improve your research and writing skills - then yes, go for it. Similarly, if you want to gain a better understanding of how the writing of history works or the surviving records of railway companies or the development of particular aspects of railway development occurred then this is probably the place to start. If you just want to learn about the history of railways out of general interest, then perhaps not. 

I would add that in the day job finding good, verifiable, accurate, works of railway history that are referenced works of research rather than under-edited anecdotes and photo albums is very, very difficult. Good line/area histories from the likes of OPC, Wild Swan Twelveheads Press or Oakwood Press at least give us a chance of working out where information has come from: 'academic' referencing isn't necessary, but it's always nice to know that, if we want to know more, then there's something else to look at and that even if all we want is present we can trust what we're citing. That is why courses such as that at York are useful to those of us who 'do history' for a living: they help interested people unearth things that are undiscovered and, by doing so, help everybody else working on similar things.

Adam

* Yes, really. Modelling is what I do to relax...

• RMweb Premium

When this course first launched I remember some discussions on here as to the content. Can't remember how long ago this was but I think that there were a couple of people who were considering it. Might be worth searching for it, possibly on the old version of the forum.

• RMweb Premium

I'm very supportive of people enrolling on courses like this. As has been said it depends what you want it for, a PG dip will do a career no harm at all and in my experience money spent on high quality education and/or training is money well spent and an investment. I know it is dangerous to extrapolate from personal experience but I did an HND as a merchant navy cadet and got my chief engineers certificate in the merchant navy. I then did a BEng in my own time followed by a MSc, my friends at sea assured me I was an idiot for spending thousands on course fees, using most of my free time to study etc etc and that it was a waste of time and effort. Well, far from being a waste of time it opened up career opportunities that would have been closed to me otherwise and I consider that it was money and effort very well spent. So my advice is that if you are interested then go for it.

I'm all for serious research and historical study - but surely the qualification is more vocational than professional.  There would be very limited opportunities (largely in the voluntary sector) and I doubt it would do much to enhance the student's first degree.  From what I can tell, the course is about absorbing information presented on-line and entails very little (if any) original research.

• RMweb Gold

I'm all for serious research and historical study - but surely the qualification is more vocational than professional.  There would be very limited opportunities (largely in the voluntary sector) and I doubt it would do much to enhance the student's first degree.  From what I can tell, the course is about absorbing information presented on-line and entails very little (if any) original research.

I haven't looked at it for some years and so perhaps it has changed but when it first started I thought, from the stated content, that it seemed very superficial.  If it was done in depth with really well organised paths for the student to take up and the discipline of a good educational establishment at an advanced level then I could see how it might work to advantage as Adam describes. 

But none of it affects me as they wouldn't take me anyway (but I wonder if, during the course, they happen to consult anything I've had published?)

But none of it affects me as they wouldn't take me anyway (but I wonder if, during the course, they happen to consult anything I've had published?)

I don't think working in the western region, S&T or operations would automatically disbar you from joining under the 'equivalent experience' route York has; although I know a few P/W engineers who would be nodding their head about the middle one.

The problem with writing design and maintenance standards and specifications is that times change; but people misquoting your own work to you is fun. I wrote a position statement about the Forth Bridge in1996 as apart of the assessment work I was leading on; having re-read it this year it is horribly out of date (but still correct) due to the Railtrack-isms.      

• RMweb Premium

A good place to find out about professional studies are the appropriate institutes, such as the IMechE, IET etc. I am in the IMarEST and they were very helpful in discussing educational establishments, recommending courses and advising on those well suited to achieving Chartered Engineer status. If you want Chartered status in your profession then it is very important to ensure that any courses you consider are recognised by the relevant body who will recommend you for Chartered status as not all degrees or post graduate courses are recognised.

Archived