Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mara Harbor

milocomarty

Milo - have just noticed your thread - both inspiring and daunting.....the foliage is unbelievable.  Makes me want to investigate some static grass etc.  I really thought I was getting somewhere with my On30 layout but have now realized I have a long way to go.....

Hello Martin,

Superb scenery!  It is incredible how much you achieve in such a short time.

Can I ask a few questions:

- What is grey A/I (mentioned in connection with distressing wood on the first page of posts).  On the same post - by mineral spirits - do you mean white spirits?

- You say “Layer over layer is the trick”.  But when I have been to electrostatic grass demos at shows, they put down a coat of PVA, stick the probe in this and then put down a grass layer.  But you cannot do this for layer over layer.  Having put down the first layer, what glue do you use for the subsequent layer and does the probe have to be in this glue, or just nearby?

I guessed you might use some type of spray glue, but these range from carpet glue to graphic artists’ Spray Mount adhesive, so I guess it is important to choose the right one.

- Sky - did you hand paint this.  It is very effective and I notice very few joints.  Have you taken it around the corners in curves and, if so, how did you achieve this?

- You mentioned that you run courses.  Where are they, or will you be demo-ing at any UK shows this year?

Thanks, Art

Thanks Art,

shall try to answer your questions..

- the grey A/I , is an alcohol and ink mixture, receipes can be found on the Rusty Stumps site

- Mineral or white spirit, the thinner for paint. Turpentine would be another name, but not the artist real stuff, just the cheap from your DIY shop..

- Most people try to cover everything within one coat of glue, I add drops on the fine turf T42 and 44 base and build up in several lenghts and layers..use a kiddy schoolglue at the moment with a longer open time, gives somewhat more time to work on the grasses and doin a bigger space..

- Sky is hand painted, bit artistic way with cheap wallpaint , just one corner in the Mara Harbor modules, covered with trees so I didn't bother doin a round corner..

- I do give workshops here at home in the Netherlands. but on speaking terms with a couple of exhibition managers to come over to the UK with the layout but also giving demonstrations...

Milo, walking outside and taking photos of real grass is cheating...Seriously though thats some really impressive work you've done to make that look so realistic!

All the best,

Lloyd

Very well observed, shows what can be done when a good deal of skill and effort are applied to representing a 'mundane' subject.

Agreed.

It`s all good and well having nicely detailed building`s and such,but it`s the 'Mundane' that makes a layout and the detail`s stand out.

Absolutely beautiful work Martin.

Brian.

Edited by Tove

Those are quite exquisite!

(I'd look again at the way those two trees immediately behind the birches are "planted" - some growth around the base of the trunk to break up the artifical looking line?)

Chaz