NCE Power Cab as 'Slave Unit' Second Cab problem/question

Drumyard Dave

Firstly Happy New Year to Everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm encountering with my installation of a NCE Power Cab system. I bought 2 Power Cab systems recently and successfully installed the first system on my son's N scale layout.

I have now attempted to install a second panel on the same layout with a view to using our second Power Cab throttle as a slave unit. I've used a UTP panel for the second unit and connected this panel to the main PCP using a flat RJ cable. The second Power Cab is then plugged into the UTP panel with the curly cable.

Neither throttle will work when plugged into the UTP panel. Both work OK when plugged (singularly) into the PCP panel.

I swapped the curly lead for a flat lead and nothing changed. I think this is a PICNIC issue (Problem In Chair Not In Cab) - can anyone tell me what I've done wrong.

Kind Regards

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Have you set the address on the second cab?

On the PCP panel you have the PowerCab (Master) plugged into the lefthand socket

The slave cab plugs into the right hand socket using the curly cable.

Test it this way first eliminates any issue with the cable to the remote UTP panel.

The slave hand set must have its address changed though.

INTRODUCTION
Just as every locomotive has a separate number (address in DCC terms) each cab needs
a separate address so the command station can distinguish one cab from another. Each
ProCab is shipped from the factory with the address of 2. If this is not your first ProCab
you will have to change the address before using the cab. To easily change the address:
Power up your Powerhouse system.
(in this case PowerCab system)
1. Plug in the ProCab cable to the (Right hand connector of the PCP Panel)
2. Unplug your procab at the base of the cab
3. Press and hold the SELECT LOCO button while re-plugging in the cable you
just removed from the cab
4. You should see the following display on the cab:
NCE PROCAB V1.3
CAB ADDRESS = 02
5. The cursor will be flashing over the 0 of “02”. Type in the new cab number.
In this case, you will press “3” (valid range = 2-63) followed by ENTER.
6. Press PROG/ESC to skip setting all the other cab setup options. They will be
discussed later in this manual.

The Powercab default Cab Id is 2  Valid Cab Id’s are: 2, 3, 4, and 5. Note** Cab Id 5 is only available with firmware 1.65.  Cab Id’s 6 are 7 reserved. Use 8, 9, or 10 for cab bus devices only.

Hopefully that should be it.

The first part explaining how to change it is from the PRO-CAB manual so the displays might be slightly different, but it should say in the PowerCab manual how to do it.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I've used two PowerCab throttles in the PCP. I've also used a PowerCab and a Cab06 in the PCP. Finally I normally run with the PowerCab throttle in the PCP and the Cab06 in the UTP.

The two cabs must have unique (cab) addresses as mentioned above. A change in cab/throttle address on the PowerCabs hasn't stopped either of the units working when they are the only unit connected - the Cab06 will only function when there is a PowerCab also connected.

The orientation of both PCP & UTP is irrelevant except when they are being referenced - that is, the left hand socket of the PCP is the one to the left of the LED when the LED is below the sockets. The main or master cab/throttle must be connected to this socket using the flat cable.

The second cab/throttle can be connected to the right hand socket of the PCP or either socket of the UTP and must only be connected using the coiled lead.

I hope this helps.

Thank you all for your help.

I had changed the cab address on the slave unit so I eliminated that as a possible issue. I have now changed the UTP to a PCP and wired it as per the diagram in smoke box's link. Now I can select a loco but nothing happens when I then send a command to that loco.

Also the LED is not illuminated on the slave PCP.

Any further thoughts and help most welcome.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

My slave panel hasn't got an LED. Only the PCP has that and you don't use a second PCP, you use a UTP instead for the slave.

Don't ask me why because I though the wiring looked similar when I compared the reverse of the two.

Have you connected the second PCP to the original one with a cable in the rear socket on each panel?

Are you using a second power supply as well? Try without one of them - I believe you should only have the one.

Have you tried plugging the second cab into the right hand socket of the slave PCP?

How about disconnecting the second (slave) PCP and plugging a PowerCab into the each socket of the Master PCP. Can you control locos independently that way?

Failing any of the above I fear you may have to purchase a UTP.

Archived