RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've tried to be positive by changing the subtitle to this thread to "Stage 2"..... ha! Let's see what Monday brings!

In the meantime, I continue to stare at - and refine - the baseboard frame plans: it'll be good to get the wood cut and screwed together to stop me coming up with any further ideas!

Stay tuned - something MIGHT happen next week....

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've tried to be positive by changing the subtitle to this thread to "Stage 2"..... ha! Let's see what Monday brings!

In the meantime, I continue to stare at - and refine - the baseboard frame plans: it'll be good to get the wood cut and screwed together to stop me coming up with any further ideas!

Stay tuned - something MIGHT happen next week....

Jeff

I think that one of the great joys of L-girder is that it does not need too much planning/refinement. So long as the main girders are in the right place, everything else can be adjusted as you go along.

Will be testing this theory shortly as I have been asked to rebuild a layout/train set for friends. First action will be to rip up the "flat earth" baseboard and replace with some L-girders and open-plan track bases. Fortunately they have just inherited a massive quantity of timber batten and screws from a deceased builder.

Struggling with design though! After 40 years (on and off, mostly off) trying to build realistic model railways, they really want a big train set.

• Like 1

Morning Jeff,

Sorry to hear you've been let done by the timber supplier - you did very well to stay calm in the circumstances!

Really looking forward to the build, now with heightened anticipation!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

Sorry to hear you've been let done by the timber supplier - you did very well to stay calm in the circumstances!

Really looking forward to the build, now with heightened anticipation!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Jock.

It's not quite Bolt v Gatlin or The Ashes, but I must admit that I'm really looking forward to starting something today. KL was dismantled at the end of November 2013 and it's been difficult to maintain the kind of enthusiasm I had way back then. Not because of any problem with model railways. Simply because other things have filled the void, including some older hobbies (astrophotography, for one), and it's been hard to motivate the interest in starting KL again.

Please remember there are many, many ways - most more economical and (probably) better thought-out - to build this project. I'll just enjoy doing it my way and, hopefully, a few people may find it of interest. If not, well, there's hundreds of other threads to look at!

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Update: The "4 x 2" timber arrived at 3pm. The first 4 L-girder sections have been put together.

I'll construct the base "table" and, maybe, put some pics on here tomorrow.

Let me know if you want to see a bit-by-bit set of pics or just summaries and I'll try to oblige.

Jeff

• Like 5

no.  no blood guts or gore.  But lots of sawdust:no:  :no:

If we have blood guts or gore, then Jeff will have been off to A&E, and there will be a delay in the next set of photos...

I'm one for as much writing as you feel up to Jeff, this is YOUR thread, not us punters. 

James

• Like 1

Yep! I'm with James on this one! We're here to see KL2 take shape in the way you want and in your own time Jeff, not to put you under any obligation or pressure to perform. We saw the results of that way of thinking with Andrew and the outcome. As and when it comes is fine by me and look forward with anticipation (and patience) to seeing Jeff with a new layout and a full set of appendages!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

Be careful Jeff. While in the IOW the builder had a call from a mate, a chippy who had sliced the fingers off his left hand with a circular saw!

Don

Thanks Don.

The only problem this morning has been a couple of splinters in my fingers - with a little bit of blood. I'm very wary round circular and jig saws!!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ok folks, you wanted things a la minutiae......

So, for those not in the know (and I've had a couple of PMs asking me about them - not everyone knows this stuff....), here's an L-girder, with suitably colourful garden background.

The constituent parts are a piece of 95mm x 44mm ("metric 4 x 2") and a piece of 70mm x 21mm ("metric 3 x 1"). The lengths are glued together with PVA and screwed at around 30cm intervals.

post-13778-0-29272300-1440502816_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22932400-1440502821_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-65163800-1440502823_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-29729100-1440502827_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-71915400-1440502834_thumb.jpg

The resulting girder comes in at 116mm x 70mm (roughly 5 x 3).

I know it's a bit over the top, but it's the way I like to do things and that's not going to change!!

More later.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Starting the assembly of the first L-girder table. I'll post a plan later so you can identify which table goes where.

Here, I've got 2 L-girders - upside down - sat on the cross-struts (70mm x 44mm), ready for fixing down:

post-13778-0-79498700-1440503562_thumb.jpg

It's vital to get everything square in all directions - levels and squares are all over the place in the bunker!

post-13778-0-53055000-1440503567_thumb.jpg

I scrapped all the woodwork from KL - it filled a large skip - because it wasn't easy to dismantle the structure when I moved. With the L-girders, all connecting screws (NO glue used) are driven UP into the horizontal member of the L-girder from below. This makes it easy to remove them - they aren't buried under scenery.... Well, that's the theory!

post-13778-0-73392500-1440503569_thumb.jpg

I'm fitting 95mm x 44mm legs to the L-firders. Here's the first going on: G or C-clamps are a boon and everything is kept square and level (well, I TRY to!!):

post-13778-0-08097900-1440503576_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-80566800-1440503579_thumb.jpg

More later....

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Now for the rest of this "table"....

More legs attached and some bracing added:

post-13778-0-72131500-1440504504_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22139400-1440504508_thumb.jpg

The structure is turned right-way-up....

post-13778-0-43364700-1440504512_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-54707400-1440504516_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-78359900-1440504522_thumb.jpg

Now to start the next one - which fits to the right of this (as seen in the third of the 5 pics in this post) table. The next table is twice the size, so you MAY hear from me later!

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

So - is this what some of you want to see?

If not, I'll post very little and just get on with the job. If this helps anybody then I'm more than happy to continue in this manner.

Jeff

• Like 3

So - is this what some of you want to see?

If not, I'll post very little and just get on with the job. If this helps anybody then I'm more than happy to continue in this manner.

Jeff

I'm finding it interesting Jeff - I have been procrastinating about cutting wood for the last few weeks: you don't hang about do you!

Ok folks, you wanted things a la minutiae......

So, for those not in the know (and I've had a couple of PMs asking me about them - not everyone knows this stuff....), here's an L-girder, with suitably colourful garden background.

The constituent parts are a piece of 95mm x 44mm ("metric 4 x 2") and a piece of 70mm x 21mm ("metric 3 x 1"). The lengths are glued together with PVA and screwed at around 30cm intervals.

attachicon.gifIMG_0821a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0822a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0823a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0824a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0825a.jpg

The resulting girder comes in at 116mm x 70mm (roughly 5 x 3).

I know it's a bit over the top, but it's the way I like to do things and that's not going to change!!

More later.

Jeff

I cant see the CRANE to lift it, be wary of a HERNIA, hahhahahha NO NOT FUNNY. :O 

Now for the rest of this "table"....

More legs attached and some bracing added:

attachicon.gifIMG_0839a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0841a.jpg

The structure is turned right-way-up....

attachicon.gifIMG_0843a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0845a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0846a.jpg

Now to start the next one - which fits to the right of this (as seen in the third of the 5 pics in this post) table. The next table is twice the size, so you MAY hear from me later!

Jeff

I'm finding this fascinating, as I've all this to come at some point.

But I can see why it suits a garage, I'm not sure I'd trust that weight in my loft!

TONY

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely want to see more Jeff, even though it's unlikely I will ever want to build another layout, it's fascinating to watch how you do it.

And of course, there's the fact that it's so neat and precise... :D

Al.

• RMweb Premium

I'm finding this fascinating, as I've all this to come at some point.

But I can see why it suits a garage, I'm not sure I'd trust that weight in my loft!

TONY

This is the LIGHT bit. Wait until the Fell goes in! (though it will be only a third of the 200kg Fell in KL)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

With the significantly  different dimensions of the two pieces in the L how does it work in respect of the basic idea of using the right angle between to stop them bending in either plane?

I'm not a mechanical engineer, Mike, but I don't think the difference in size has any bearing on the problem. The stiffness in the vertical and horizontal planes is conferred independently by the vertical and horizontal members. The 3 x 1 will act in the same way as it would if it was fixed on top of a vertical 2 x 1. The significant difference is that not only is the 4 x 2 stiff vertically, the additional thickness ADDS to that conferred by the 3 x 1, resulting in a VERY stiff girder in BOTH directions.

I'd have been happy to use the 4 x 2 by itself, but the top "lip" of 3 x 1 provides a convenient place to attach cross-members.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice workmanship Jeff. I do rather agree with mike about the L girder I think two bits of 4x1 would make more sense. I cannot see that bit of 3x1 having much chance of holding the 4x2 straight if it wants to bend. Mind you once the cross bearers go it and some are at an angle (usually to avoid a bearer under point blades) it will all be well braced.

Don

• Like 3