Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

Your Fell is looking pretty awesome already, well done that man.

I'm just a little concerned now though - how are you going to get to the fell in order to do the "detailing", stone walls, sheep, grass, sheep paths, maybe water troughs for the sheep etc, etc.

The structure looks so vast, I can't see any way for you to reach the upper and middle areas - unless you can throw a blanket over and lie on the fell itself, maybe?

Sorry if you've already explained this, me heap thick!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening John.

No, you're not thick and it may not be immediately apparent that access to the majority of the Fell is very easy. The work of art diagram (below) shows it's easy to reach over to the backscene by standing on a chair. 

The top of the Fell is around 6'3" above floor level (2'3" above fiddle yard datum, ~ 67cm). 

post-13778-0-93859300-1448927067_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

Evening John.

No, you're not thick and it may not be immediately apparent that access to the majority of the Fell is very easy. The work of art diagram (below) shows it's easy to reach over to the backscene by standing on a chair. 

The top of the Fell is around 6'3" above floor level (2'3" above fiddle yard datum, ~ 67cm). 

attachicon.gifFell access.jpg

Jeff

Thank goodness for that, just don't over reach from that chair!

I had visions of you needed something like they use in hospitals to winch patients in & out of bed, or something!!!

Anyway, "the Saint" shows how easy it will be.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The garage door framework serves as excellent scaffolding to lean against....a hidden benefit of leaving it in place!

At risk of boring you all to tear, here's the Fell as it stands - with board up to the top. I'll be building the frame for the next section (viaduct end) tomorrow. I'm now waiting for my mod-roc order to arrive and then it'll be covered in Plaster of Paris. I made the mistake of using commercial "filler" last time - and it cost me a fortune. PoP is around a £ per kg, much cheaper.

post-13778-0-25306400-1448987003_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02631700-1448987007_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

Jeff,

Awesome is the word that springs to mind, I foresee many hours spent on covering it with grass and building the walls and snow breaks!

Can you buy 00 sheep with one pair of legs shorter than the other?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Awesome is the word that springs to mind, I foresee many hours spent on covering it with grass and building the walls and snow breaks!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I don't think so, Jock, but a little bit of "leg surgery" with a scalpel works wonders!!!!

Jeff

• Like 2

Jeff,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Come on Jock, you should know that its not sheep that have one pair of legs shorted than the other, all Scotsmen know its Haggis your thinking off as our MOUNTAINS are much steeper than mere Fells! :jester:

• Like 6

Jeff,

Joking apart, I used to run a filling station in Chingford in the early mornings, before going on to my normal day job in the same group of garages. It backed on to a large reservoir with banks that sloped at c. 45 degrees and the sheep were grazed as animal lawn mowers. They always looked level and so I surmise that they must be able to articulate their legs, to keep their balance on such slopes. Perhaps heating and bending might work, otherwise you'll have to drill holes and bury the inner legs!

Looking forward to you reaching that stage,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great discussion lads, and highly relevant to the Fell.

Here's a couple of pics taken in August 2013 showing the unconventional route I took from Grisedale Beck up to the Striding Edge flank of Helvellyn. I followed the wall, which can be seen ascending in the first photo. The second pic, taken on the descent to Patterdale, shows a side view and reveals the wall to be inclined at an average 35-40 degrees, locally steeper. All the way up there were sheep happily grazing in amongst the bracken!

post-13778-0-87655000-1448992977_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-81378700-1448992989_thumb.jpg

I'll be adding an extra bit at the foot of part of the Fell tomorrow, in addition to the bit at the viaduct end. When it's in, I'll sketch the approximate route of proposed "stone walls" that I'll be adding to the Fell.

• Like 7

That fell is massive you certainly don't do things by halves Jeff

It'll look great once done

Brian

Edited by bri.s

There is a video or DVD (or both) of them using steam rollers (a pair...cabled together) to roll some of the roads (Hardknott Pass?)  in the fells.  Suffice to say, at 1:3, they needed to be winched, as I wouldn't want to try driving a roller up that.  (or down it either...) as if you caught a pebble the wrong way, you'd only stop at the bottom.  

The fell is impressive.  My landscraping is all much lower than that- even

]16098216627_c145e8bffe_c.jpg

only has about 14" of elevation change from Trout Beck to rail level.  Long Marton is basically a plateau above Trout Beck, with the rail line near the top of it all.  (the land does climb "north" of Long Marton on the railway, but not to the same extent).  I don't see the reason for imbedding the storage yard in a mountain, as there is the stairwell behind that, and my wife's storage area, which is fairly sacrosant for access...I don't think I could pry it out of her possession, although it does contain one of the two wye's.  

James

Edited by peach james
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning James.

Excellent running length shown on your latest photo.

With that space I might have ended up building a 24 arch Ribblehead representation!

I bet you often say "sod the S&C" and run A4s up and down at 200mph scale speeds..... (what? You DON'T?)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'd still get rid of that steelwork Jeff, unless you've plans to return it to a (workable) garage?

attachicon.gifpost-13778-0-87655000-1448992977_thumb1.jpg

Peter, you certainly captured the con trails from the low-flying RAF jets very well in that picture.

Amazing how the new F35's can turn quickly through 90 degrees.....  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've added an extra frame at the viaduct end and some additional board towards the front of the pic (below) - can anyone notice any differences?

Anyway, this is the Fell as it stands - there'll be no further additions until the mod-roc arrives. I think this view gives a decent perspective, viewed from the goods yard end of the station. I can't get far enough back (at the moment, with junk lying around) to get the whole Fell in.

post-13778-0-82584000-1449069059_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 9

Morning James.

Excellent running length shown on your latest photo.

With that space I might have ended up building a 24 arch Ribblehead representation!

I bet you often say "sod the S&C" and run A4s up and down at 200mph scale speeds..... (what? You DON'T?)

Jeff

Well, the current train is a pair of 5's (one black, one MT), with 11 on.  The trains are set to a maximum speed of ~70 mph, so just a little above the line speed.  

The other train that has been running is the VIA LRC with 5 coaches- completely wrong, but a fun train, and very much a memory for me.   If I was going to model Canadian, it would be Algoma Central in N gauge, it has an equally improbiblity in either scenario.  (mind, so will the Pendo that I have on order...)

I do have 2 A4's, but they are set to the same sort of speeds as everything else- even at the scale 70, they are impressive pounding through Long Marton.  (I should take a video, except the plan is to relay some track today, when I get home in about an hour)

If I was going to do Ribblehead, I would build it with an outdoor loop connected off the end.  (giving a "long" and a "short" option, I suppose).  It's all about time though, as I want to make some progress on some of the problems I know of on Long Marton, and I have other things around the house which demand fixing.  (new front steps for one...and my mate next door needs a bunch of wood trimming up).

Now, if I played the lotto and won the $50 million, I'd have some platelayers working for me toot sweet...

James

• Like 5