RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Meant to post this ages ago when you started work on the fellside.

It was an early post for S&C 79-83 and the quality isn't good. These are the gradient profiles for a typical hillside alongside the line - the example/section I used was from Mallerstang.

This is the only time I've used a technique I first learned while doing O Level Geography!

Of course in 00 the section to be modelled would be much smaller than in N.

post-13274-0-00242900-1452297122.jpg

Cheers

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 1

Morning Jeff,

I love the way you consider the advice offered by some fine modellers and act on their comments. Having said that, I know that rule one would be applied if you felt strongly enough about this but I think you've made a wise decision. I too love the way that Jason comes up with such well reasoned comment!

Look forward to the weekend's efforts,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a thought for you. Use the old main line overbridge as the scenic break for that end of the layout with the railway in a cutting leading up to it (the hill extended to the baseboard edge) with a backscene board behind the bridge. As I guess there will be no scenery on the lift out section, then you need something at that end to go off scene and a cutting, bridge and backscene would be a nice way of doing it. You would also have a bit of a storage area for your specs in the back corner behind the backscene and next to the lift out section.

The two road bridges you built are lovely structures that it would be a shame to not use, and the railway running through a cutting through shallower hills would be a lovely contrast to the tunnel and fell on one side and the embankment in the central section - a real railway in the landscape.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a thought for you. Use the old main line overbridge as the scenic break for that end of the layout with the railway in a cutting leading up to it (the hill extended to the baseboard edge) with a backscene board behind the bridge. As I guess there will be no scenery on the lift out section, then you need something at that end to go off scene and a cutting, bridge and backscene would be a nice way of doing it.

Funny, that. I have a page of sketches from October with something like that idea - based on the use of that particular bridge in a cutting on KL. I wanted to make use of the bridge and it was about the time that I'd suggested it would do as a tunnel portal - Andy (uax6) put me right.

I wasn't sure it would work, as I was "thought-locked" into a Fell continuation on that side. However, I hadn't considered fitting a backscene in there. Good idea.

I'll have a play with the larger bridge and a bit of contouring later. You can all let me know what you reckon. I'm fiddling at this end for a while before I resume work on the underbridge and station exit.

Jeff

I hope you don't mind me saying Jeff, but I think Jason's suggestion of the Road Bridge and Backscene will really work well, all you would need is a Sky Backscene as you will be looking up to it in real terms. BUT BUT BUT PLEASE DONT PUT A BLOO*Y BUS ON IT, hahhahhaha

All the best.

I'd have to agree with the nay sayers- if you want the road to go under the railway, the bridge part would be as short as possible.  Could you get the mouths in much closer to the trackbed?  Or is there going to be more track added on the to?  Because otherwise, it doesn't look right at all.  Moving dirt is far cheaper than a long tunnel, even if it is cut & covered.  If it was me, and things hadn't progressed as far as they have, I would have put it at the narrowest part of the trackbed, just past the lay-by' end.  (facing towards the wall), and possibly fitted a mirror on the backside. :)

James

• RMweb Premium

James, I agree with your comments about the positioning of the underbridge. The problem is that I have 2 turnouts with Cobalts and wires at that location, so I couldn't do it.

Anyway, the bridge is no more - it took, oooh, 2 seconds to lift out and I'm working on a scheme like I used on KL, with a cutting going into a bridge as a scenic break. I'll post some pics later. At the moment it looks like the apocalypse has taken place in the bunker - there is mess all over the place. Glueing insulation blocks together with PVA is much better without the aluminium foil coatings. So I've been peeling them off....good job the hoover is on hand.

Again, thanks for all the excellent comments. With hindsight, I know my scheme was a bit silly, but the thing about this hobby is to listen to objective views and be willing to change your approach.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit late, but how about making it into a canal tunnel?

Too late, Kev. But a nice idea - the only snag being the lack of canals at 700 feet altitude on the S&C.

I hope you don't mind me saying Jeff, but I think Jason's suggestion of the Road Bridge and Backscene will really work well, all you would need is a Sky Backscene as you will be looking up to it in real terms. BUT BUT BUT PLEASE DONT PUT A BLOO*Y BUS ON IT, hahhahhaha

All the best.

Cheers Andy. No bus. Maybe a penguin crossing the road, or a car crashed into a lamp post..... no, no bl**dy cliches....

I think my 1960s Massey-Ferguson tractor will be on there, though.

Jeff

• Like 5

How about just having a culvet emerging at the base of the embankment and a nice scene of a stream forming a small pond and some tree's / shrubs lining the edges. 

There was quite a few culverts along the S&C to deal with the excess rainfall, the one between Dent and Rise Hill Tunnel was quite ornate or perhaps over-engineered!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Too late for culverts. Full-blown fell-related engineering has been taking place to alter the topography. A cutting has been installed - as per KL - and the double track bridge made for KL (originally to carry an aqueduct, then just a farm road) has been installed. 

The photos are a bit difficult to interpret due to the white dominance, but the hillside will continue to rise upwards a bit, to the right of the farm road, before meeting a backscene. The rising hillside is indicative of where the Fell would have been had there not been an access gap which brought it to a halt.

So a plan that goes back to KL, but includes a backscene - thanks Jason. It also makes for a decent scenic break at that end of the layout.

Plenty more to do on this, but some pics for now...

post-13778-0-63870900-1452373558_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-40487400-1452373563_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-10529800-1452373567_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-10330400-1452373572_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-29129700-1452373577_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-24722800-1452373580_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

I would have though the Back Scene hard up against the Bridge (or MOVE the Bridge up to the Back Scene) might be better, otherwise you have a hole in the Back Scene in the cutting and nothing to hide it.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter. No problem, what you're seeing is just the first "chuck-down" of board and mod-roc. It'll all be fine-tuned before I give things a coat of plaster.

Having said that, it's very difficult to see into the cutting from the operating well. Only a photo from a camera held over the area reveals what you've spotted.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would have though the Back Scene hard up against the Bridge (or MOVE the Bridge up to the Back Scene) might be better, otherwise you have a hole in the Back Scene in the cutting and nothing to hide it.

I'll have to think about this one, Andy, because I have to admit it's a nice viewpoint - watching locos pass under the overbridge as they head to and from the fiddle yard.

Solve one problem, create another!!

Jeff

''Too late for culverts. Full-blown fell-related engineering has been taking place to alter the topography. A cutting has been installed - as per KL - and the double track bridge made for KL (originally to carry an aqueduct, then just a farm road) has been installed.'' 

Like it Jeff...... sounds as though an ice age glacier has gone through the bunker today :scared:

The results do look good  :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Another batch of pics, including a couple from the goods yard corner. I've cleared some of the stuff out and can now get in there - it'll be necessary for further development of the goods area at a later stage.

Things will be easier to follow once plaster and brown paint are added, along with fascia boards. Some of this should happen in the coming week.

post-13778-0-11289400-1452450916_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62026000-1452450920_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-54100600-1452450924_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-89400800-1452450928_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-79451300-1452450932_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-05586100-1452450937_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-53407200-1452450940_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

Jeff,

Good to see you adapting ideas as you go along, and each step is a move forward in authenticity. How good it is to have accomplished and experienced modellers chipping in with very helpful advice (you know who you are!) which you then adapt to suit your own ideas. Much better than having rigid ideas to start with which doggedly adhered to, end in layouts being scrapped!

Loving it so far,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS just seen the latest pics and like them very much!

Edited by Jock67B