RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, I can sympathise with you on the man flu front, had a shocker for about three days last week courtesy of a colleague. Just got to get rid of the cough now.

• RMweb Premium

I've done a bit of work in the Bunker this morning, so the underbridge construction is now underway.

Here's the prototype at Kirkby Stephen:

post-13778-0-53112000-1458221004_thumb.jpg

Some pics of bits and pieces..... softwood 12mm to represent the 4 corner pillars, 8mm ply (2 x 4mm cut and stuck together) for the side walls under the bridge, a piece of 80thou plastikard to go under the track bed and sit on the side walls:

post-13778-0-98978000-1458221164_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-20156200-1458221169_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-77027100-1458221176_thumb.jpg

Tower attached to sidewall and a "stone paving" layer added...

post-13778-0-57262900-1458221281_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-90127600-1458221289_thumb.jpg

The side walls and front pillars, along with the plastikard "ceiling" tested in position:

post-13778-0-33981000-1458221363_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-20201900-1458221373_thumb.jpg

Things are a bit complicated as I can't build the whole bridge as it needs sliding under the existing track bed. So the rear pillars will be attached at a later stage. There's also angled wing walls to cut. These will get sorted in the near future....

Jeff

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, there are some more recent photos of the Iron bridge at Long Marton on my flickr account, I can't link to them from here but will when I get home.  They may be helpful, and I possibly have more if you need them.

James

Thanks for the offer, James. I'm ok with the Kirkby Stephen bridge as I've quite a number of photos of it from the 60s to the 2000s.

Update: I've fixed a bit more "stonework" to the wooden pieces I showed yesterday. The basic structure of the girder section that runs across the road has also been built. Waiting for the evo-stik to properly harden so I can rub the pieces down ready for fitting into place.

There should be some kind of front-view (as seen from the operating well) available tomorrow, though it'll be in an unpainted state.

Jeff

• Like 2

Bridge is coming along great jeff

I know it very well from driving underneath it when im going over to scout green or the Lake District.

I think in recent years theve put a big steel support under it,or maybe its there to take the impact of a wagon/bus hitting it by accident.

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Ben, the girder section of the bridge was modified over 15 years ago. Here's how it looked around 2003:

post-13778-0-93261100-1458315982_thumb.jpg

I'm presenting it in its 1960s (and earlier) guise, as in my earlier post further up the page.

Jeff

• Like 3

Really starting to look the part already jeff

Im sure ive seen an old film from the 1960s of an 8f going over that bridge,and im sure the steel girder section was painted grey..rather than green as it is now..i could be wrong though!

Cheers

Ben

Edited by ben pez
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A further step forward with the addition of the stone facing on the "slide-in" bit. Filler will be added at the corner and the joined rubbed down. Tomorrow's job, along with a bit of painting.

post-13778-0-20985100-1458329587_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-81880700-1458329593_thumb.jpg

Ben, the girder section will certainly be a grey. Green - yuk!!

Jeff

• Like 14

Hi Jeff,

I don't mean to be picky but I notice your joints on the stone walling don't align the stones, if you cut each piece from the sheet in order then the stones will line up all the way through, if your bothered that is. I do like the girder bridge really looks robust.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I don't mean to be picky but I notice your joints on the stone walling don't align the stones, if you cut each piece from the sheet in order then the stones will line up all the way through, if your bothered that is. I do like the girder bridge really looks robust.

Hi Mike.

It's ok to be picky. I noticed that in the photos after I'd posted them last night and the first thing I did this afternoon was to rip the front pieces off and re-align them. The stones aren't quite right, but a lot better - if I'd thought ahead then I'd have planned it from the "run" across the sheet. Yes, it does bother me because if you can get it right, then you should!

Here's some pics of the revised piece. I've done about 3 hours work on this today, though you'd not notice it. It's fun and in a few days it'll hopefully be complete and fixed in place.

post-13778-0-52928600-1458416859_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-67827500-1458416864_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-03696500-1458416869_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-34985000-1458416873_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Update: The majority of the stone-faced plastikard joins have had a relevant dose of filler. This is now hardening off, ready for rubbing down with very fine-grade paper tomorrow.

At that point we'll be ready for a splash of paint!

Jeff

• Like 3

Surely you can't be THAT old, Mike. I heard a rumour that you were still a "strapping lad" of 75!  :angel:

Jeff

Jeff, I'm not into pseudo-masochism! You were - shall we say 'unlucky' with that figure quoted.  

• RMweb Premium

I've been sorting out a lot of non-railway matters over the last few days, so KL2 work has hardly had a look-in.

I HAVE done some painting work on parts of the bridge, but there's more to do. Here's a pic....

post-13778-0-15926100-1458753076_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Ben, Lee - thanks for the comments.

I need to make a couple more wing walls and "stone-clad" and paint them. The girder section needs another coat of grey - I'll lighten it up a little. There's a lot going on at the moment, so I'm hoping the whole arrangement might be done and fitted by the end of the weekend.

Cheers.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What paint did you use Jeff, is it acrylic

Evening Mike.

Yes, I've always preferred acrylic paints. I'm no artist but I've found that stonework tends to come out OK if I use a small selection of greys: light (dove) grey, standard grey and a darker (Woodland Scenics) "Stone" grey. I also use a little Tamiya "Earth" or a "sand" to give a tint of brown.

It took about 6 sessions of layering (each layer is a diluted wash) to get to the stage where I could use a fine brush to apply diluted white acrylic for pointing. I let each layer dry before adding the next. Tilting the wall allows the thinned white to run between brick courses.

I always find the result after 3-4 layers looks crap. It's just a case of adding more washes until you feel it looks right.

My overall colour is darker than the prototype but consistent with the other stonework on KL2.

Ask a simple question......!!

Jeff

• Like 2

Ask a simple question......!!

Its the teacher in you Jeff! 

Many thanks for the info Jeff, I'm not comfortable with acrylics yet but I do recognise the results do look better than enamel when done well, as you've shown. I think I need to do a course. Excellent work deserves a gold star!