Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Love that tunnel entrance already Jeff! Best part of layout construction as you begin to see the overall form take shape after boring tracklaying and wiring.

As for your calculations - you have stated 0.5N/sq cm, have you worked out what a 3x2 (7cm x 4.5 cm) leg e.g 33.75 sq cm x 0.5 = 16.88 per leg. Now does that equate to the total weight calculated for the whole structure supported by the number of legs?

Now as you know Dent had no calculations done......... oh! and no legs either. :jester:  :jester: Hope that got you going HahahahaHehehehe.

Both of you have forgotten to factor in snow loading on those Fells, the wet stuff can be quite heavy :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Both of you have forgotten to factor in snow loading on those Fells, the wet stuff can be quite heavy :jester:

Well spotted, Mick!

But I have a solution: when the snow arrives and starts to fall on the Fell-top I send for a "warm front" - conveniently provided by my fan heater.....  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It will turn to rain and the flooding may wash the track bed away.

Mike

Ha ha - NOT so.....

The drainage system is well-engineered and will lead to a CESS-ation of the problem!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If only I had another 4 feet of vertical elevation - I could have permanent snow coverage!!

From your previous comments on your stature would that make you up to about 9 feet tall?  :jester:

But I do have a serious question. I've spent a pleasant few weeks of thread time following your work on the fell. But your recent comment about forgetting there's a fiddle yard behind there set me thinking... With your operating area being in the middle of the layout, in front of the fell, how are you planning to operate the FY? CCTV, track circuits, or something completely different that will leave us all wondering why no-one else thought of that?

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil.

Yes, I'm 5'6" on a good day - maybe an inch taller after the Spanish Inquisition have had me on the Rack!!

As for the fiddle yard. I'll just be keeping things very simple and, as it'll mostly (99%+) be just myself operating, I'll use it in a "passive" mode. It'll be stocked up - maybe 7 or 8 trains and for most of the time there'll be 2 trains going "roundy-roundy". In the meantime, I'll be shunting away in the goods yard or just standing and watching.

I've no plans to run a timetable - it's all about the look of the thing to me. With more than one operator then a pre-arranged code or "for heaven's sake, get your finger out and get route 3 ready!!" will do. There'll be a mimic board adjacent to the station area and a separate one for the yard. The yard board will be mounted in the operating well adjacent to the lift-out.

I know it's possible to fit all kinds of automation, and I'm no technophobe, but I like to keep things as simple as possible and just enjoy the play value and the way it all looks!

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've spent about 2 hours doing the fairly mindless task of applying more Plaster of Paris and filler to some of the remaining, exposed, mod-roc. My mind isn't on doing anything that requires any form of dexterity, even though it'll be nice to get the portal face built.

I have bought some fresh evo-stik for fixing the plastikard to the ply and more filler - for creating the tunnel embankment rock faces.

Now all I need is a surge of enthusiasm!!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just to show I've done something - here's the portal front. The shape of the opning isn't quite right - it's difficult cutting 4mm ply on a curve - but more than adequate, bearing in mind the front will have a plastikard "arch" around it.

Off to cut the backing sheet and support pillars.

post-13778-0-14126900-1454939984_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Funny stuff, PVA glue. When the temperature is around 20C it seems to bond within an hour and clear in a couple of hours.

The Bunker temperature is currently 15C and after 4 hours the portal and support ply have bonded, but the glue is still white. Anyway, I'll leave it under load until tomorrow morning and then I'll see about sticking some plastic on - using evo-stik.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've done a bit more work on the tunnel portal, subject to glue drying....

Here's the current state of play. More plastikard needed at the top, some copings and I'll need to buy a tube of model filler to blend the pillars and fascia together.

post-13778-0-58158800-1455042196_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

That does look a treat, no doubt you will be adding the effect of the extreme weather in the area in due course?

Moving at pace now,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock.

Yes, the plastic will get the usual treatment of black, grey and white acrylics to produce a filty mess on the fascia. I've just ordered a tube of model filler, but I'll have a look through my supplies tomorrow and see if there's an old one knocking about.

In the meantime, I'll add something to the rear of the portal to support it/produce a tunnel effect - and, of course, there's always more plaster to put on. AND, I might start using the original jig and start producing DAS "stones" for the walls.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Not much done in the Bunker today as my attentions have temporarily turned to insulating the summer house.

I have chucked a bit more plaster onto the mod-roc, but the tunnel portal will have to wait the arrival of a fresh tube of model filler. I did find the remains of an old tube, but it looked as though it was last employed to clean a Neanderthal's teeth. It went in the bin.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not much done in the Bunker today as my attentions have temporarily turned to insulating the summer house.

Jeff

I take it you're not expecting a good summer? There again what keeps the heat in also keeps it out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I take it you're not expecting a good summer? There again what keeps the heat in also keeps it out.

"Summer house" is a bit of a misnomer - it's just a slightly posh shed. It contains a multi-gym, rowing machine and exercise bike, so I suppose the primary aim is to keep the heat out when the weather warms up. I quite enjoy - witness KL and KL2 garage jobs - cutting up insulation board and ply-walling. I'll do a bit more tomorrow.

In a funny way, it's been nice not to do much in the bunker today. As we've discussed before, there's a danger of feeling obliged to give twice - or more - daily reports on here. I may do a Peter K and disappear for 40 days!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mike, I'd like to tell you that you are correct in your assumption....

.... However, I didn't order enough for KL2 and I've been nicking the odd 25mm sheet or so over the last few weeks. Result? I'm now 2-3 sheets short for the shed/summerhouse! Oh well, better to be short than to end up with a couple of 8' x 4' sheets going spare. Spare? I could always build a diorama with a "small" Fell in it?!!!? No? Ok.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

DRAT! I hate to be wrong. Hold on, what I mean is 'I may be mistaken but I'm never wrong' that's more like it! :jester:  :beee:

Edited cos I hit the wrong button! :locomotive:

Just came in for a coffee break - still working in the shed/summerhouse. Bit cool outside, but once you get moving, cutting and, dare I say, screwing (!) then you soon warm up.  :angel:

I'm about to order some MORE board and ply for the job. Any surplus will, of course, find its way into the Bunker!

Btw Mike, the last few batches of photos on Dent have been outstanding. I have a glimpse every so often to remind me of how KL2 might look in a "little while"!!

Jeff

• Like 1