Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've fitted some more rocks and have modified the shape of the hillside adjacent to the tunnel - just a little. I then ran out of filler - and have just re-stocked.

So I'll explain the rationale behind what I've done, and show you what's going on - in pics - maybe tomorrow when it's a bit clearer. Just bear with me!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here's the reasoning behind the arrangement.

The first pic shows the original curved line of the hillside when the S&C decided to fit the viaduct across the valley.

post-13778-0-14299100-1457205391_thumb.jpg

The company fancied starting the tunnel at the end of the viaduct. However, the rock immediately next to the viaduct was too soft and a short cutting (around 25 yards) had to be dug into the hillside before consistently-hard rock was uncovered.....

post-13778-0-70390600-1457205607_thumb.jpg

Well that's my story, anyway.

Jeff

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I also forgot to point out that the "rockery" in the cutting isn't complete.

The pic, below, gives the idea - more will be added - but I knew you lot would want to see what I'd been up to!!

post-13778-0-62358900-1457206229_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

The first pic shows the original curved line of the hillside when the S&C decided to fit the viaduct across the valley.

attachicon.gifIMG_2381 line of hilla.jpg

The company fancied starting the tunnel at the end of the viaduct. However, the rock immediately next to the viaduct was too soft and a short cutting (around 25 yards) had to be dug into the hillside before consistently-hard rock was uncovered.....

attachicon.gifIMG_2388 excavated hill area.jpg

Jeff

Where is the Bulls**t button when you need it! I've never heard such codswallop since I came up with the same for the south-end of Dent. Oooops let that slip out. :jester: Looking good mate, 'carry on' as the army would say.

Where is the Bulls**t button when you need it! I've never heard such codswallop since I came up with the same for the south-end of Dent. Oooops let that slip out. :jester: Looking good mate, 'carry on' as the army would say.

Is that your secret plan Mike - are you altering the tunnel end of Dent?

A suggestion Jeff?

Perhaps some smaller outcrops, inserted at strategic locations, to suggest the rocky nature of that face of the fell?

By eye from your photo, here's some candidates:

post-8688-0-89495200-1457224417_thumb.jpg

*edit*

I guess what I am try to say is that if you have a few more exposed rock pieces, you are suggesting this end of the fell has been eroded down over time by the watercourse that created the valley your viaduct spans, and in doing so, the underlying bedrock strata has been exposed - the same strata you are hypothesizing the railway builders then excavated into.  By having a number of smaller, exposed pieces, little distance away, it takes away some of the "oh, gosh, they tunnelled just where there is rock - what a coincidence!" feeling.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good suggestion, Scott. There'll also be a few outcrops occurring elsewhere on the Fell as things progress.

I'll not be putting too much on here over the next few days as other commitments interfere with Bunker work. But there are plenty more rocks to be made and painted!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've had a limited time in the Bunker today, just enough to make a few alterations to the existing tunnel area and mix some filler to create some more rock casts.

These will be ready for painting and cutting into bits for use by tomorrow morning.

I had already planned a few rock faces protruding out of the Fell in the deep inset area. However, Scott's comment has me ready to action his suggestion. 

Things always look a bit odd at this stage - bare rock on a brown background. But the rocks, and the walls, need to go in before the Fell can be properly "grassed". I tried fitting a section of walling onto a previously grassed area of the Fell on KL and it was a right mess!

Pics on Tuesday, I reckon, once I have a few more rock additions in place.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

attachicon.gifIMG_2381 line of hilla.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2388 excavated hill area.jpg

Jeff

No that's definitely flapdoodle.

They dug in that far because the fell wasn't high enough there to be bothered building a tunnel. Not enough material above it. Anyway, where were they going to get the stone to build the viaduct, never mind enough stone to build the embankment at the far end of the tunnel.

Unexpected collapse? Nah, it was all planned that way from the start.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Alan, "flapdoodle" indeed. Told you it was a load of old bo**ocks, invented in a millisecond as a "cover story".....

Anyway, the excavations took place - just as well as, otherwise, the trains would stop on the far side of the viaduct!!

Off to paint some rocks.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking fantastic Jeff!

Thanks Lee.

I'm hoping you might think it's an improvement when you see the modifications I've made. Several more rocks painted and added so far today. I'll make some more for tomorrow and then show my progress on here.

Jeff

Afternoon Jeff,

Enjoying being back home but really tired! I've just put a fairly long post on ERs and if you would like to read that, it will save me trotting it all out again and then at least, you'll know about the advance in my cancer!

I have to say that your efforts in my absence are most impressive, although I'm not in the least surprised having followed the planning stages! That tunnel portal is absolutely beautiful and I look forward to the next set of building efforts with a great deal of interest!

It's great to be back,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

The tunnel- can you get in from behind and put a bit more card/plastic/wood so that when you look into it, as per the straight on photo from on the viaduct, it appears as though the tunnel is straight?  I know the track won't be, but if it darkens off in the tunnel, then it might appear more realistic.  Since it is off in a corner, what you would create is an area on the plywood on the other side to store extra engines...not like I would ever know about having more engines than track...19 tracks, 21 trains...  I am presuming here based on what was posted a LONG time ago, that the other side of the fell is accessable for the fiddle yard part ?

James

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Jeff,

Enjoying being back home but really tired! I've just put a fairly long post on ERs and if you would like to read that, it will save me trotting it all out again and then at least, you'll know about the advance in my cancer!

I have to say that your efforts in my absence are most impressive, although I'm not in the least surprised having followed the planning stages! That tunnel portal is absolutely beautiful and I look forward to the next set of building efforts with a great deal of interest!

It's great to be back,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hey, hey!!!

Welcome back, Jock!!!

We've all missed you and we hope we can continue to entertain you for a very long time!

KL2 has made slow progress - have a look in tomorrow to see what I've changed/(hopefully) improved.

I put a Moon montage into the Asylum last week - you may wish to have a look.

Great to have you back.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The tunnel- can you get in from behind and put a bit more card/plastic/wood so that when you look into it, as per the straight on photo from on the viaduct, it appears as though the tunnel is straight?  I know the track won't be, but if it darkens off in the tunnel, then it might appear more realistic.  Since it is off in a corner, what you would create is an area on the plywood on the other side to store extra engines...not like I would ever know about having more engines than track...19 tracks, 21 trains...  I am presuming here based on what was posted a LONG time ago, that the other side of the fell is accessable for the fiddle yard part ?

James

Hi James.

Yes, I can get to the back of the tunnel with ease - and I WILL be extending the tunnel area by about 30cm.

Here's a view from the fiddle yard side:

post-13778-0-00413600-1457378800_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, your little Hillock? Bl00dy great Mountain is looking really good mate, its nice to see the Tunnel Mouth and Cutting taking shape.

Excellent.

A bl**dy great hillock, built by a bloody (small) pillock, eh?!

The tunnel cutting has changed a bit over the last day or so. More pics tomorrow, so please give me an updated opinion then!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As promised, here are some pics of the rock and Fell situation.

I've now embarked on a (probably) week-long task of fitting rock outcrops across the length of the Fell, so there will be quite a few more rock faces produced and painted before I'm done. 

post-13778-0-40677500-1457463925_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07215400-1457463929_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-43601800-1457463933_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-37766700-1457463938_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I got a couple of moulds cheap at Shildon when I was there yesterday. What do you use to fill them? Plaster of Paris?

I actually use interior filler.

You could use Plaster of Paris, and it sets much quicker - 5 to 10 minutes - but I've always stuck with filler, and it works well. Make sure you tap the mould (containing plaster) several times onto a hard surface, after filling, to dislodge any air trapped between the plaster and mould surface. But you probably knew that!

Jeff

• Like 1