Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy. Glad you're still popping in - it's more than I seem able to do. I'm on here for a short length of time, then off doing other things.

What was the layout in the post above?

Jeff

• Like 1

Cheers Andy. Glad you're still popping in - it's more than I seem able to do. I'm on here for a short length of time, then off doing other things.

What was the layout in the post above?

Jeff

It was a West Country Backwater BLT, but I cant remember the name of it, but there was some superb detailing and modelling that took the eye way from the Track and the operation.

• RMweb Premium

Following on from last night's extensive discussions, modifications have been made. I only got back from the dentist at 2pm, but the experience clearly provided the urge to do some wood-cutting.

Here are a couple of pics, which don't actually show much as everything is weighed down. I'll remove the weights in about 3-4 hours and take some more photos.

post-13778-0-94939200-1460481558_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22414900-1460481563_thumb.jpg

As it stands, the scheme will be to run the line in as usual but the cattle dock may only be remnants - having been cleared away ten years previously. We'll see.

Jeff

• Like 5

Following on from last night's extensive discussions, modifications have been made. I only got back from the dentist at 2pm, but the experience clearly provided the urge to do some wood-cutting.

Here are a couple of pics, which don't actually show much as everything is weighed down. I'll remove the weights in about 3-4 hours and take some more photos.

attachicon.gifIMG_2596a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2598a.jpg

As it stands, the scheme will be to run the line in as usual but the cattle dock may only be remnants - having been cleared away ten years previously. We'll see.

Jeff

An alternative to watching paint dry I suppose Jeff.

Looking good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An alternative to watching paint dry I suppose Jeff.

Looking good.

I've just removed the weights from the line. Pretty much stuck in place, just need a couple of hours for the PVA to clear then I'll show the result.

Funny thing about the work over the last week - I wasn't planning to do anything but the platforms. I suppose one thing leads to another.

And Peter, when I want excitement, I'll ballast the track (which I do, strangely, enjoy doing)! 

(That reminds me, I need some aerosol cans of track grime from Howes...)

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The PVA hasn't quite cleared, but at least the photos below show what I've done:

post-13778-0-19725800-1460497285_thumb.jpg

The red area of platform will have to be fitted in and a slightly wider platform ramp (blue) will be built...

post-13778-0-13727700-1460497292_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-73842400-1460497295_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-08386300-1460497302_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

There's no need to add the red part Jeff; nothing would ever have been loaded and nobody would have alighted from a train there, plus you may end up with clearance issues. If anything, taper the main platform on that side and use a narrower ramp. Careful use of a hacksaw, chisel and bloody big file should do it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There's no need to add the red part Jeff; nothing would ever have been loaded and nobody would have alighted from a train there, plus you may end up with clearance issues. If anything, taper the main platform on that side and use a narrower ramp. Careful use of a hacksaw, chisel and bloody big file should do it.

I'm all in favour of the easy life, Jason! I have already cut the "red wedge" from the previous straight dock base, though it's not fixed on yet. I will certainly taper the ramp, but probably leave the main platform as is (if the red section isn't fitted).

Jeff

• Like 1

I feel possibly like Jason that doing away with the red wedge and having a taper to the Platform giving an even gap to the Cattle Dock Rail as opposed to as it is now.

Just my personal opinion, please don't let it influence your thinking.

• RMweb Premium

I feel possibly like Jason that doing away with the red wedge and having a taper to the Platform giving an even gap to the Cattle Dock Rail as opposed to as it is now.

Just my personal opinion, please don't let it influence your thinking.

Thanks Andy. As you'll see from the photos below, I've kept it simple and curved the ramp but left the main platform section as it was. I'm not happy with narrowing that part. I'd rather the platform maintained a consistent width along its length. Just a personal preference, and I don't suppose it makes any real difference! 

post-13778-0-31467500-1460533192_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21089300-1460533197_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I would honestly junk the red bit and taper in the platform; there is no reason why the end of the platform would need to be a uniform width, and no reason why the platform would need to provide access to the siding (I would hope it would be fenced off on that side anyway).

• RMweb Premium

I would honestly junk the red bit and taper in the platform; there is no reason why the end of the platform would need to be a uniform width, and no reason why the platform would need to provide access to the siding (I would hope it would be fenced off on that side anyway).

Hee hee. Don't worry, I've junked the idea of the red bit. It's now only a question of whether I can be bothered tapering the end of the platform, as I think it looks good at a constant thickness.

To me, the cattle dock is a secondary thing compared to the platform. So I don't want the "tail wagging the dog", so to speak..... 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ok, you've piqued my curiosity. The picture, below, shows the end of the platform, with a blue line showing the edge if it follows the curve of the dock wall/track. Not as much butchery as I thought.....I may be tempted!

post-13778-0-67826900-1460546358_thumb.jpg

Btw, there was a wall along the edge of the platform so no possibility of passenger access into the dock siding.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Putting my 2p into the pot...... :senile:

Looking at illustrations of S&C stations, most didn't appear to have a taper at the end of the platforms.

Your 2p goes a long way, Peter, as it's made me go back to the base material for the S&C.

Settle, Appleby, Long Marton, Kirkby Stephen etc. all had non-tapered platforms. The only one I could find that had tapering (in a quick 20 minute whizz through a couple of books) was Garsdale.

Status Quo (NO, not "Whatever You Want"!): S&C precedent - mostly non-tapered platforms (tapered ramps? Yes) / no further cutting mods required.

Change: Might look prettier, though the curved ramp seems more than adequate.

There is precedent for curved dock bases, so no "rules" broken there.

Verdict: For the moment, the platform stays the same.

On another matter, I've just put a base coat of grey plastic primer onto the road that goes beneath the underbridge.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I was glancing through Anderson and Fox, but have now dug out Jenkinson's book.

I've two copies of the latter. I remember someone (in the KL thread) referring to a page in RITF, but it certainly didn't match my copy. I then discovered it was a 2nd edition, and later managed to dig up a 1st edition at Grosmont book shop.

Thanks for the input, Peter. You and Jason keep me on the straight and narrow, with Andy chipping in his valuable opinions.

Jeff

Jeff

I think the question you should always come back to is: will "X" bother me in 2,3, 5 years time, when the layout is substantially complete?

(yes, I know re-work is always an option, but it's hard then, than now)

You were worried enough about the handrails on the bridge to immediately re-work them.

Have a cuppa, and stop and ask yourself the same question about the cattle dock. 

My 2p (and it's possibly worth about that!) is that I agree with the sentiment that the dock being parallel to the running lines looks train-set-y.

This track plan for a small country station is what (to me) looks more natural (I know it's NER, but you get the idea)

post-8688-0-05957900-1460554209_thumb.jpg

For Kirkby Luneside, a simple right hand curve off the back of the slip, and then straight track, at an angle to the main lines?

post-8688-0-74552800-1460554645.jpg

It is *a lot* more work - I think you've got about 87 screws holding those platform boards down! - but if it is important, and irritates you mildly now...

As alway, Rule #1 - and not meant to take away from what you've done.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Scott.

The issue is actually with the main platform, and whether it should be tapered or not. I'm very happy with the curved dock area as it has equivalents on other S&C stations - there was actually a curve on the Kirkby Stephen one.

The subsequent discussion was whether to taper the main platform or not, to which the answer is now "no". I'm actually pleased with the appearance as in post # 2514.

The whole problem started a few days back because of the limited space between the slip and the dock. This was one of the variables that I couldn't fit in "properly". However, I think I'm happy with the outcome.

Jeff

Btw, most of the screws (70%) are pinning the top 4mm ply layer onto the lower 12mm ply layer. I didn't want any twisting as the PVA between them cured. To be honest, they could now be removed!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2